View Poll Results: PvP like Salem?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd like to see something similar.

7 29.17%
  • No, use the system suggested by the devs.

13 54.17%
  • No, I'd prefer something else entirely.

4 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FFA PvP should be like "Salem"

Quote Originally Posted by Virtus View Post
    Here is the plan:

At first all tribal areas will be safe then, at some point down the road, tribal safe zones will be optional.

If your tribe wishes to play more realistically with the chance of being attacked at any point you may do so. However, if you wish to be more of a crafting tribe and not have to look over your shoulder all the time you may keep the safe zone on.
    Imo very bad idea. It's an artifical rule that takes away from immersion and sandboxyness while adding nothing to the game. Also, playing "more realistically" means being the only who gets ganked, because you were the only one stupid enough to disable your safe zone.

I don't really like alignment systems either.

Have a look at Salem (by the guys who made Haven & Hearth):
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1148989p1.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkn2tipREYk

It features unrestricted PvP with full loot and perma-death. Every crime leaves behind a "crime scene". If a player investigates it, the criminal can be tracked down and dealt with one way or another. You can even lynch criminals while they are offline.

edit:
    Just to clarify, I'm not arguing for perma-death, although I wouldn't mind it, either. Anyway, the system just needs some kind of punishment.

Known for its controversial permanent death feature, an essential game mechanic that introduces risk as players progress in the new world, Salem is a fresh twist on the MMO genre giving players control of their towns in the game and introducing frontier justice in the open Player-versus-Player (PvP) environment.
    [...]
    The concept of revenge and towns policing themselves and even sanctioning hits on griefers is going to be a really compelling aspect. We know we'll see some interesting things when the community finally has a chance to play Salem later this year.

Perma death has never been done well, nor will it ever be done well.

In response to the meat of the rule set your proposing. I do not believe it would be beneficial nor an easy undertaking to implement, we are trying to survive and get back onto our feet.... Now perhaps when the game moves into the next phase it might be worth a second look.

It's done quite well in Haven and Hearth. Xsyon has already stated there will be permadeath in the form of old age.

A character dieing of old age, which is speculated to take real life years is vastly different than perma-death if one is pked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontaze_Mebro View Post
    It's done quite well in Haven and Hearth. Xsyon has already stated there will be permadeath in the form of old age.
    means you play this game get your skill developed and then booom. toon is dead? lol

Considering details on Salem are very scarce it's not a good idea to base a poll on a line off a feature list.

Quote Originally Posted by Redemp View Post
    Perma death has never been done well, nor will it ever be done well.
    Perma death hasn't really even been done, let alone good or bad. Haven and hearth is the only mmo I've played with permadeath. It would change the climate of the game and depending on the game that could be a good thing. I welcome a game experimenting with perma death.

Quote Originally Posted by ozmono View Post
    Considering details on Salem are very scarce it's not a good idea to base a poll on a line off a feature list.
    Well, Salem's system is very similar to Haven & Hearth, and it worked pretty well there.

On the other hand, H&H never got much attention from the DF & MO PvP crowd, unlike Xsyon. Most players are pretty peaceful. If you have a lot of players specifically looking for FFA PvP, things could turn out worse. But still, I just like all the stuff that can happen with such a system, while "toggle-your-safezone" sounds rather stale and boring...

Quote Originally Posted by Garack View Post
    means you play this game get your skill developed and then booom. toon is dead? lol
    Yes, but it's not as hardcore as it sounds.

You're not going to die unless you run around in a forest poking bears with a stick, or do something equally stupid. In 3-4 months, I died only once in the first month, and that was my own fault, really. Charged at a stranger with badass combat gear, trying to hug him. Turned out he wasn't into hugging -.-

I played Haven and Hearth a lot.

If Salem is anything like Haven & Hearth, it might not be a good idea. All it resulted in was people slaughtering entire villages so they couldn't be tracked down and murdered instead of just killing one or two people.