Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Darkfall by far. The combat mechanics are heads above all other MMOs (that have RPG aspects).

WWII Online is awesome, too. Very realistic combat and physics.

1) Fantasy Earth Zero- skill based system where you had to aim/dodge attacks. Also only F2P game I have ever played that wasn't wallet vs wallet
    2) Knight Online - Combat felt fluid but ultimately was killed by macro'ers/hacks
    3) Ultima Online - I liked the free for all PvP that the game had and as a crafter I actually fondly remember the mad dash back to town with a load of ore while the crossbow PK'ers chased me. Unfortunately it wasn't skill based it was too equipment/grind based for my taste.

Interesting question. I would wonder if people are basing their opinion on the actual combat systems or the PvP ruleset/mechanics.

For example, I loved the PvP combat in Age of Conan, pre-battleground WoW, & Chronicles of Spellborn. However, none of those games had very good PvP incentives or mechanics. Shadowbane had great mechanics with the sieges & what not, DaoC had sweet RvR. However, I didn't really enjoy the combat style as much there. Sadly, I never tried Darkfall...too many friends of mine said it was complete crap & run by a bunch of morons who let everyone macro the hell out of the game. I watched their vids on youtube, but it always looked like a bunny hopping spam-fest. I kinda wish I had tried it now.

In the end, I probably had the most fun with pre-battleground WoW & RFO (anyone remember that game? lol) than any other game. Those games got me hooked on PvP, despite their obvious shortcomings.

Eve. I think it had the best ruleset of any of the pvp focused games. It actually let us PvE'ers do something without getting jumped all the time. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind it in Darkfall. I just didn't like Darkfall's movement physics.

Makes me sad to see only one mention of shadowbane in here.
    Shadowbane hands down honorable mention to uo(done first and done right counts for something)

[QUOTE=oneyedwang;50215]Makes me sad to see only one mention of shadowbane in here.
    Shadowbane hands down honorable mention to uo(done first and done right counts for something)[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. Shadowbane was legandary.

Shadowbane was incredible. Experiencing asset destruction, politics, and that many different ways to play the game has soured me on just about every other PvP MMO since.

I dont think I could go past Ultima Online, It wasnt flash graphics but the PvP was Insane they had Item Insurance so you didnt mind putting yer best shit on for fear of losing it (If ya had money in the bank)not like Darkfall where ya run round in crap incase some one ganks ya, Oh and the fact a Mage can run in his jocks and do massive damage and a Mele player needs 100k of shit on to be competitive, Ultima had Random Item Properties so you never knew just what your oponent was realy packing .... It was the bomb... and so intense and fast paced. Just my opinion but .. Stevro Archer King.. Oceania lol

Darkfall definitely had some good ideas, but the execution did fall a bit short when it came to item stats and properties. It always felt like a persistant arena type game to me. I should probably check out UO, though. I love Eve, but the combat mechanics leave a lot to be desired for me.

I've played alot of mmos but I think the most fun I've ever had pvping is not an mmo. I <3 LoL.....