Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ifireallymust View Post
    It's fine that you and I have different play styles. The fact that choosing to do business with some players while refusing to do business with others doesn't fit with your play style does not make it impossible for me to fit it into my play style, however.
    I think what ifireallymust is trying to say is that he can be part of the fight for justice by not trading with Evil tribes, regardless if your (soulwanderer) tribe uses other crafters outside your tribe or not.

What I'm curious to see is how hard/easy it will be to craft decent gear with most stats put into combat- I'm not talking about alts, I know lots of people use them, me included.

If it's done right imo a tribe who spends most of their time in combat and doesn't have any dedicated crafters would have a hard time keeping up with the demand for more gear.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithStone View Post
    I think what ifireallymust is trying to say is that he can be part of the fight for justice by not trading with Evil tribes, regardless if your (soulwanderer) tribe uses other crafters outside your tribe or not.

What I'm curious to see is how hard/easy it will be to craft decent gear with most stats put into combat- I'm not talking about alts, I know lots of people use them, me included.

If it's done right imo a tribe who spends most of their time in combat and doesn't have any dedicated crafters would have a hard time keeping up with the demand for more gear.
    If a good tribe wants to trade for it, I'll certainly be willing to do so, and I'm sure plenty of other solo and small tribe merchants will do the same, with good, neutral, or evil tribes, depending on their own alignment and in game morals. I'm not a 'thee' 'thou' roleplayer, I don't wander around in character, but I do have some roleplaying tendencies, and who I do business with in a game is one of them.

It's fine that you and I have different play styles. The fact that choosing to do business with some players while refusing to do business with others doesn't fit with your play style does not make it impossible for me to fit it into my play style, however.

I think you've lost track of the initial point of the thread which is that this game is designed for both PvP and Crafting (I'd say PvE, but the most I've seen of it so far are a handful of bears). Doesn't have much to do with individual playstyles and whether you choose to be stingey about whose money you'll take.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwanderer View Post
    I think you've lost track of the initial point of the thread which is that this game is designed for both PvP and Crafting (I'd say PvE, but the most I've seen of it so far are a handful of bears). Doesn't have much to do with individual playstyles and whether you choose to be stingey about whose money you'll take.
    I believe a quote regarding fighting for forces of good or evil or some such was posted, and then someone said you can't do that as a merchant, and I said you can (using IBM as a disgraceful example of businessmen who chose to fight for evil and mentioning the origin of the word 'boycott' just because I felt like being a know it all). So I'm still on topic. I don't have to kill an evil player every day to 'fight the forces of evil' in a game (although that's not to say I won't do so).

I believe a quote regarding fighting for forces of good or evil or some such was posted, and then someone said you can't do that as a merchant, and I said you can (using IBM as a disgraceful example of businessmen who chose to fight for evil and mentioning the origin of the word 'boycott' just because I felt like being a know it all). So I'm still on topic. I don't have to kill an evil player every day to 'fight the forces of evil' in a game (although that's not to say I won't do so).
    IRL there is economic warfare and it even makes its way into certain games. I haven't spotted a mechanic yet for it in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwanderer View Post
    IRL there is economic warfare and it even makes its way into certain games. I haven't spotted a mechanic yet for it in this one.
    Sadly, in real life, economic warfare by the powerless against the powerful is usually met with a beatstick and evil triumphs quite handily. In a game, we don't need a mechanic, it's a sandbox, remember? I keep a list of who I will and won't trade with, individuals and tribes, and I go about my business, happy in the knowledge that if I am killed for it, I'll be back again in a minute or so, if minus a few belongings!

I support this thread. A foundation of balance needs to be laid down for proper future growth of the game. If a safe route is offerd, most will take that, leading to imbalances in the future.

If the safest route would be a combat ganker, like in darkfall, then everyone would just do that. Likewise with the current intentions from the developer to create optional pvp and stat/skill losses upon death for anyone choosing the evil alignment. All this does is create a path of least resistance, where like water, the players will flow towards.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    I STILL fail to see how people think that either play-style has to be mutally exclusive within the game. There can be both meaningful pvp and safe-zone pve in one game. I don't even think it'd be that hard to balance, either. Hell, they can even go the Eve-online route and make some of the zones safe in general. Put crafting materials, animals, and dungeons (whatever) in that area, and then put other types of materials and animals and so on into other parts of the map that's designated as PvP.

People complain that it's "not realistic" but this game is about demons and gods and a magical apocalypse. I don't think the dev's care THAT much about realism.

All they have to do is make it balanced and make it fun. I honestly think most people don't care that much about lore in an MMO, unless the lore is emergent based on player actions.
    Eve system please. I dont even like the game tbh but in that area they nailed it. PvP hostspots are better than global pvp anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Banok View Post
    Eve system please. I dont even like the game tbh but in that area they nailed it. PvP hostspots are better than global pvp anyway.
    eve's safezones create issues that wont work in a game this small, its already been disproven as a good thing in eve anyway...this isnt eve...dont try to make this like eve.

I think there is less a misconception about the game than a misconception about the parties involved...

all pvprs are not rabid pk's
    all pvers are not flaming carebears.

most of the long term pvp guilds are well honed machines that can outcarebear the carebears when it's required...logistics wins wars.

I've seen many pve guilds turn quite nasty when push came to shove...they aren't all pacifist whiners.

I'd wager that most of us on a pvp side of the house want a sustainable, balanced game that has the ability to hold our interests on a long term level.

Yes, of course this is FFA, so open field combat is of course an subject, Tribal warfare is an even bigger focus...but along with that it's the support elements, the crafting, trading, econonic and political systems and dynamics that keep us here.

Most of us realize that yes, it takes different types of players to make a game...and i presume most of you understand that a population of rabid crafters isn't going to be enough to keep this dev team in business very long.

SO at the end of the day, most of us, i think, want balance. Unfortunatelyl, just as irl, our tactics are fight from the periphery and hope it arrives at the center.

at the end of the day, it's the devs game, and they'll make it however the hell they please...i just hope they make it so they stay in business long enough to get out of the prelude.