Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Xsyom world economy: currency or barter

While scavenging u can come across pennies, quarters and bills.
    All of the trading ive done so far was barter and didnt include any currency.
    My guess is that the devs put coins and bills into game as an option to replace barter in the future.
    Do u think currency will win over barter in the long run?

currency has no value...so yeah...

i guess its no diffrent than real life however....but ill spare everyone my monetary policy rants.

No because it has no use, in other games gold, platinum, etc. has value because you can purchase items from vendors and NPC's with it, but here there is nothing to give that money value therefore itwill not replace bartering.

Quote Originally Posted by zettoz View Post
    No because it has no use, in other games gold, platinum, etc. has value because you can purchase items from vendors and NPC's with it, but here there is nothing to give that money value therefore itwill not replace bartering.
    Yet...after prelude, you may need it....

Quote Originally Posted by blackzilla View Post
    Yet...after prelude, you may need it....
    No one can be sure of anything till then.

This was discussed many times already.

I think barter will never disapear, but it might be hard to make the deal if you have only item that seller doesn't need. Currency is better in this case.

Tribes will be able to set their currency it doesn't have to be global. Small tribes and homesteads will probably strat using currency of nearest big tribe which they do buissness with.

Then maybe will start exchange system between currencies.

There's a lot of possibilities.

7. 02-25-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote Originally Posted by zettoz View Post
    mm. was thinking about what u wrote.
    if so than how come money has value in LA where I live? last i checked there arent any npc's vendors here and my money still has value....

Quote Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
    if so than how come money has value in LA where I live? last i checked there arent any npc's vendors here and my money still has value....
    a valid point as USD has no value in reality, nor does any other FIAT currency used around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
    Because nasty people with tanks and planes at their command and the self-interest of several governments that our government owes a lot of money to make sure your money still has value.

I like barter though, in game, at least for now. If nothing else, I like to think it gives would-be gold farmers a serious headache.