My PvP idea, similar to DAOC

I really thought DAOC's PvP/RvR playstyle was the best. The main features were:
    - safe areas -- there were lots of safe zones, and a player could max level without ever leaving it
    - PvP areas -- these included castles that you could occupy, and also contained Relics that buff everyone on that side. Capture the Health Relic, and everybody in your faction gets a buff to HP (example). This makes fighting for the Relics worth it.

I would like to propose a similar thing for Xsyon: allow Tribes to place safe zone totems. A player could theoretically sit in the zone and make baskets, and they would be safe forever.

But also include other zones where Totems are not safe, or where you cannot place totems. For example: make a radioactive scrap pile that has an extraordinary resource, found only there. To craft the best weapons, you need that resource. But you can't place a totem on it, since it's radioactive. It's a resource you have to fight over in PvP space.

This requires PvP to achieve the best crafting results, and also allows players to avoid PvP if they want to.

Another idea would be to have a pre-placed neutral Totem, that has to be claimed and defended. This totem already controls some scarce resource. Other Tribes can come attack and take over this totem, and it cannot be destroyed. This makes for a permanent PvP object to fight over. Or create a "Fountain of Youth" that once take over, provides a buff to the controlling Tribe.

These approaches would mimic DAOC's, in the sense that PvP is optional, but profitable. To achieve the best results would require PvP. Both types of players can play their own styles.

To implement full PvP and no safe zones, would restrict the market for the game to a small minority, since most PvE type players and crafters would leave.

no thank you.

there's already a vision for this game when it comes to combat and open world pvp.

War has destroyed life as we know it. The Apocalypse is at hand!
    Will you fight for justice to stop the chaos or will you join in the ranks of evil to bring upon the ultimate destruction of the earth?

Quote Originally Posted by billpaustin View Post
    I really thought DAOC's PvP/RvR playstyle was the best. ...
    I agree with you that DAoC's PvP was good. In my opinion it's still the best PvP system but quite some people here on these boards will probably disagree.

Anyway, Xsyon is far too close to launch to significantly change the PvP mechanics now. If, sometime, somebody makes a sandbox MMORPG with DAoC's PvP mechanic I would be delighted. I do not believe it will happen anytime soon though.

Nope sorry, in my view the whole separation of pvp and pve is bad.
    Im mainly a crafter, a nice person who helps you out. Im anti-pvp when it comes to some points ( like new player area's and protection) but for the game itself its critical that the vision remains as it is. what we have now in game is not how the game will stay. he got some nifty plans whit pvp and how to control the folks so this does not turn into a gank fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chavoda View Post
    Nope sorry, in my view the whole separation of pvp and pve is bad.
    +1

- safe areas -- there were lots of safe zones, and a player could max level without ever leaving it
    Where's the good part?

To implement full PvP and no safe zones, would restrict the market for the game to a small minority, since most PvE type players and crafters would leave.
    This seems to be a common element in all discussions about pvp in this game- Why exactly would crafting/pve players leave because of pvp?

The good part of safe areas is that casual players can log in, play or craft for a while and socialize for fun. There is no reason to exclude these players from the game. They are not hurting anyone.

It is of course only my opinion, but I think that if you allow full PvP with no safe zones, then many of these casual players will leave. That reduces revenue and further development. Putting superior resources in PvP-only zones seems to resolve the issue to me.

Another segment of MMO players is the solo player. There are quite a few, and if you allow them to be killed and their possessions taken and their houses razed, they won't stay.

Another segment of MMO players is the solo player. There are quite a few, and if you allow them to be killed and their possessions taken and their houses razed, they won't stay.
    Add on to this statement:
    Solo players don't want to spend hrs grinding out and accumalting stuff to have it takken all away 7 days of this makes the game useless to them it's kinda like a rollback feature to a solo player can never progress. Build gather ganked destroyed loose every thing repeat. See the big picture its like a rollback. How about every time you gank steal every thing and destroy every thing from a player you get rolledback as if it never happen 7 days of you not progressing would make you leave then.
    System like DAOC? Been done lets see something new and fresh. Done it got it done with it on to new. If i want to play DAOC or any other mmo out i will go pay that company to play it.

I got a dang good idea and it's so brilliant!!!!!! Let's wait till jooky redoes the combat system before we start asking for changes. Jooky said it was going to looked at and worked on.

OP idea is a bit much, I just think random player killing should have very harsh consequences. I have seen so many times, where a guy is loaded down with resources which he has spend time collecting, and now trying to make it to his base, and someone ganks him. Takes his armor etc. then runs to the person fishing in the water, ganks them takes their armor... Runs back to his camp and tucks it away in a basket without using it. These kind of people are like leeches and almost break the games fun factor. They're mostly dicks and they continue to harass the small community around the area.

I am all for PvP and GvG large scale warfare... but I can't stand RPK grievers out to make someones playing experience bad, because they want to be dicks.