Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowlz View Post
    Damn, sounds like reavers! Back to the ship!
    "Let's be bad guys!"

On-topic, there is a huge difference in acceptable PvP and griefing, beginning with every individual's differing definition of "griefing". The game gives people the option to play/roleplay an evil tribe/individual bent on destroying what's left of the world so, as much as others may not approve, those people have a valid place in the game world.

Does that mean I agree with destroying the population by farming spawn points and chasing new players away from the game? (Which shouldn't be an issue after the spawn protection is working correctly.) NO...it's horrible for the game and the community. It took Aventurine way too long to figure out that people logging into DF for the first time didn't really enjoy getting steamrolled and drylooted before they had figured out how to move/work the UI.

I also don't see much point in corpse-camping someone that's already been drylooted just to ruin their evening, but I also cringe at the things that happen on the internet today due to anonymity...

The game seems (at this point) to have a healthy population of both PvE and PvP (and combo) players. The dev team also seems to have a good idea of how to take care of some of the stuff that needs a system in place (to protect 30 second-old players from leetsauce asshats with nothing better to do), which will help immensely.

I look forward to crafting, exploring, building, and yes, fighting, but I play/roleplay a good character..which will get me killed more often than it will benefit me I think. Should be interesting!

OP, as one mud-hut dwelling misanthrope to another: It's not quite as bad as you make it out to be. How do I know? Because I'm typing this instead of going out into the night looking for someone to rob and kill. Humans evolved as selfish, vicious, and dangerous creatures. I would be the last to argue it. But we also evolved to cooperate and interact in less overtly violent ways, and sometimes in ways that aren't violent at all. The proof of a cooperative, creative, and even generous side of humanity is all around us.

Now the misanthrope's guild will want their membership card back. I hope they at least let me keep the mud-hut. I'd just gotten it decorated exactly how I wanted it!

I'll make the Xsyon Police Tribe....
    ....after I finish making myself leet. hah.
    ....after I build my keep. hah.
    ....after I get my crafting to max. hah.
    ....after I've found every junk pile and terraformed them. hah.

The above is the only problem. People will definitely be willing to police, but they will have more important things to do when the game kicks off. After safe zones leave the ability for the community to "police" might be ready... maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post

The above is the only problem. People will definitely be willing to police, but they will have more important things to do when the game kicks off. After safe zones leave the ability for the community to "police" might be ready... maybe.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post

My hope is that they dont code in protection mechanisms that remove this need, if they do the last task on that list wont be protecting people, it will be finding another game.

All i want, is that the world remain usafe, no protections (ill cave on noob protection for a short time), and no "only for evil" death penalties. Do this and the pvp crowd will be spread out thin, occupied with protecting their tribes crafters, and the small percentage of gank to harass players will have more than enough combat characters to deal with. It actually benefits the pve crowd despite i get flamed for even suggesting a rule free world as such.

People see games like Darkfall and Mortal Online that have pretty much unmitigated PvP and freak out that this game will be like that too. I've never been a fan of FFA-PvP, but I do think that having the ability to control territory through action will make the gameplay more emergent and increase the game's longevity. There's nothing wrong with having safe zones in this type of game. There's nothing wrong with cathering to the PvP crowd and the PvE crowd at the same time. PvP players just don't need the entire map to gank people, nor do PvE players need the entire map to make junk angels in their junk piles.

Personally I'd prefer to spend most of my time in the safe zones, but I'd still like the option to venture out into the more "dangerous" areas if that meant getting a better reward.

The game just needs to be balanced. Risk vs. Reward.

How about giving those that focus on crafting some viable tools to defend themselves? It doesn't have to be the best of both worlds, but it seems to me that right now a crafter is no match for a combat oriented player. If the crafter route gave you some more honed combat skills on the side, just enough to at least put up a fight or a chance to escape.

How about traps? If crafting is their forte, then making a few effective traps shouldn't be a big whoop, and it would make it harder for the combatants to score a kill if they are at risk of getting snared while attacking a defenseless crafter busy doing something else.

I don't know, I am just throwing ideas out, I am still trying to figure out how to make anything other than grass string..

Quote Originally Posted by Lucinda View Post
    How about giving those that focus on crafting some viable tools to defend themselves? It doesn't have to be the best of both worlds, but it seems to me that right now a crafter is no match for a combat oriented player. If the crafter route gave you some more honed combat skills on the side, just enough to at least put up a fight or a chance to escape.

How about traps? If crafting is their forte, then making a few effective traps shouldn't be a big whoop, and it would make it harder for the combatants to score a kill if they are at risk of getting snared while attacking a defenseless crafter busy doing something else.

I don't know, I am just throwing ideas out, I am still trying to figure out how to make anything other than grass string..
    Sorry...your tools to defend yourself are combat character in your tribe. we dont want a darkfall where the best fighters are the best crafter now do we?

Quote Originally Posted by fflhktsn View Post
    Sorry...your tools to defend yourself are combat character in your tribe. we dont want a darkfall where the best fighters are the best crafter now do we?
    No need to be sorry, I haven't yet played nearly enough to know any better

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    People see games like Darkfall and Mortal Online that have pretty much unmitigated PvP and freak out that this game will be like that too. I've never been a fan of FFA-PvP, but I do think that having the ability to control territory through action will make the gameplay more emergent and increase the game's longevity. There's nothing wrong with having safe zones in this type of game. There's nothing wrong with cathering to the PvP crowd and the PvE crowd at the same time. PvP players just don't need the entire map to gank people, nor do PvE players need the entire map to make junk angels in their junk piles.

Personally I'd prefer to spend most of my time in the safe zones, but I'd still like the option to venture out into the more "dangerous" areas if that meant getting a better reward.

The game just needs to be balanced. Risk vs. Reward.
    THIS is what I am talking about. Let the player decide how they want to play the game. It is a game after all. There is no reason we can't dedicate part of the land as safe zones. What you are accomplishing with such a gameplay mechanic is a simulation of policing. In the case of safe areas, the policing is an invisible assumption. Why not? Those of us who want to live on the dangerous side can live in open PvP areas. You probably don't even need it to be a 50/50 split. I bet 25% or less of the land area designated as safe would be fine. Just a thought.