Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mindtrigger View Post
    THIS is what I am talking about. Let the player decide how they want to play the game. It is a game after all. There is no reason we can't dedicate of the land as safe zones. What you are accomplishing with such a gameplay mechanic is a simulation of policing. In the case of safe areas, the policing is an invisible assumption. Why not? Those of us who want to live on the dangerous side can live in those areas. You probably don't even need it to be a 50/50 split. I bet 25% or less of the land area designated as safe would be fine. Just a thought.
    Yes but you notice how he said he would prefer to spend most of his time in a safe zone....this nullifies the need for any combat character needed to protect

Bottom line to every thread like this:

PVE Crowd: We want protections, penalties for pvpers, and to have no use or need for combat characters. pvp playstlye choice must be punished.

PVP crowd: we want a use for our combat characters, use us to protect you, we have nothing else to do. remove safezones, no penalties, give us a chance to help you!

Quote Originally Posted by fflhktsn View Post

PVE Crowd: We want protections, penalties for pvpers, and to have no use or need for combat characters

PVP crowd: we want a use for our combat characters, use us to protect you, we have nothing else to do. remove safezones, no penalties, give us a chance to help you!
    it may be the bottom line by the time the thread is fleshed out but it usually starts off as some type of a compromise suggestion and those of us, you and i included that turns the whole thread into what you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by tommybomb View Post
    Are you sure you meant to quote me? I, in no way, said it was not important.

This is a classic case of over-exaggeration and misinformation. It's like watching Fox News. (THIS JUST IN! THE WATER YOU DRINK COULD CAUSE DAIN BRAMAGE!) You have made the incorrect assertion that pvp players are not social or communal. PvP players are, in my experience, very social and communal....or they fail.

I suppose next you'll ask for a flag to PvE so that raccoons don't kill you while scavenging?
    No, you are making the assumption that I am lumping ALL PvP players together, and I am not. However it only takes a small number of persistant PvP campers, griefers and whatnot to ruin the game in my opinion. As noted previously, I enjoy PvP, and I have no problem with wars, organized attacks, or even the occasional murder of an unsuspecting crafter skipping through the woods with his basket of flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKrueak View Post
    it may be the bottom line by the time the thread is fleshed out but it usually starts off as some type of a compromise suggestion and those of us, you and i included that turns the whole thread into what you describe.
    your post count is low so i figured you missed the last 1000 posts regarding this subject. No compromise is ever reached, a compromise would be conensual pvp, wich removed my previously stated need for a combat character as protection ala sandbox solution.

ive been labeld as one of those mentally disturbed pvpers who like to set small children on fire while tossing up kittins and whacking them with a fungo bat types for merely suggesting that pve'er use combat characters for all the protections they need.

seeing as were most likely going to have another night of no game, get ready for the flamewars to ensue.

PVE Crowd: We want protections, penalties for pvpers, and to have no use or need for combat characters. pvp playstlye choice must be punished.

Well... I'm a PvE'er with a leaning towards PvP. In essence I believe that safe zones are okay, as long as they are able to be moderated so that tribes and individuals can't claim large swaths of territory anywhere they like. On the other hand, I also think that fighting over territory would be beneficial to the game. Not only do I think that both playstyles can be accomodated, I also think that both playstyles could support one another. They don't have to be at odds. There is a game on the market that is very successful and uses a hybrid PvP/PvE model. They just made sure that they balanced it. That's the big thing. It just needs to be balanced. But so few people seem to understand that. It's really saddening.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    Well... I'm a PvE'er with a leaning towards PvP. In essence I believe that safe zones are okay, as long as they are able to be moderated so that tribes and individuals can't claim large swaths of territory anywhere they like. On the other hand, I also think that fighting over territory would be beneficial to the game. Not only do I think that both playstyles can be accomodated, I also think that both playstyles could support one another. They don't have to be at odds. There is a game on the market that is very successful and uses a hybrid PvP/PvE model. They just made sure that they balanced it. That's the big thing. It just needs to be balanced. But so few people seem to understand that. It's really saddening.
    Safe zones are not ok, it removes the need for combat characters, thus removing the balance. Your tribe wont need to have combat for protection, and it will concentrate pvpers outside of the safezones. Im talking static eve style safe zones here. The current setup of mobil safezones will be abused once we go live, and if not removed will be abused during tribal warfare as well.

Lets condition everyone to play by the same rules, by starting off with a balanced game that requires both crafter and combat to succeed.

Why is there all this complaining about griefing? Guess what, its really not hard to get away from being ganked over and over. Ever try to spawn at a new starting location? Maybe sprint as soon as you log in till you run out of energy?

I don't grief or support it but damn I feel like it should only take a couple deaths to figure out, hmmm maybe I should try something different.

Also get a friend to help. Wait whats that? you're playing solo? Playing solo is going to be harder in an MMO, sounds like you may want to try a single player game or some other game that only caters to PvE only.

The idea and risk of PvP is what is great in games. I love it and I've barely even come across any so far playing that I don't even know how so many are complaining about it already.

If you can't even ask for help to have someone protect you, which is something I'd probably do, then why even play an online game? Trying to turn this game into your own personal crafting sandbox as if no one else exists is silly.

As a last note to my rant, why is dying bad in this game atm? Set permissions to your packs so they cant be looted and all you lose is whats on your person. Lucky for you even if you had crafted awesome stuff that was just looted, YOU LOVE CRAFTING, MAKE MORE, what else were you planning to do in the game?

There are many reasons to be a combat character... Obviously way less reasons than a crafter at the moment. Your only reason to be one is pretty much to protect crafters? If that's your entire reason for a game to have them then that game already has problems..

However the "PvE" crowd just wants their safezones for prelude at the least.

The "PvP" crowd primarily wants to be able to kill anywhere any time. It really doesn't have much to do with reason because there isn't a reason to attack a crafter without anything to give or make except crappy starter tools. Not saying you need a reason. Just saying there isn't a reason to be combat speced is wrong.

Im talking static eve style safe zones here. .
    you keep referring to static eve style safe zones? just fyi they are not safe but high security, there are still non consensual pvp that happens in this high security space, corporations can declare war on any other player corporation ingame and the one being wardecced has no choice in the matter. It is also possible to gank in this high security space one is simply a suicide attack but the most common is baiting the solo players using game mechanics to instantly flag themselves as being the aggressor and allowing you to attack at will. so before you knock a games mechanics you need to understand them first.

I am not saying this system needs to be placed here in xyson, just wanted to point that out before you say i do.