Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fflhktsn View Post
    your post count is low so i figured you missed the last 1000 posts regarding this subject. No compromise is ever reached, a compromise would be conensual pvp, wich removed my previously stated need for a combat character as protection ala sandbox solution.

ive been labeld as one of those mentally disturbed pvpers who like to set small children on fire while tossing up kittins and whacking them with a fungo bat types for merely suggesting that pve'er use combat characters for all the protections they need.

seeing as were most likely going to have another night of no game, get ready for the flamewars to ensue.
    I think you are a little nuts if you think PvP players, even in tribes, are going to spend all of their game time protecting non-pvp players so they can go do their business outside of their tribal area. Not only will there almost always be a shortage of people wanting to do that job, but the ones who do likely won't do it for long because it will be boring most of the time. As I said in the OP, policing areas will be a huge responsibility that will feel like a second job.

I did like the idea someone had of crafters being able to set traps, at least ones that might let them have a shot at fleeing.

Look you don't have to agree with me, and maybe the griefer problem is being exaggerated currently, but what you and I agree on is irrelevent. If the game isn't fun for PvE and community players such as crafters, they will leave, and those remaining can PvP each other until your eyes bleed. If the PvE and community player leave, this game will die.

I hope there really isn't a problem, but we might as well start looking at it now to see if we can suggest some solutions. As an indie game, Xsyon already has the cards stacked against it. I understand the romantic notion of a completely open sandbox game, but that isn't even what PvPers want. If they did, they would be ok with crafters being able to do combat too.

In Real Life, I am a Wing Chun practitioner who is an IT Pro and computer programmer. I also build cars and 4x4's for fun, as well as read books about trippy subjects and I like to target shoot with guns. If we want to have an open game here, then perhaps crafters, given enough time, should be able to do full combat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    There are many reasons to be a combat character... Obviously way less reasons than a crafter at the moment. Your only reason to be one is pretty much to protect crafters? If that's your entire reason for a game to have them then that game already has problems..

However the "PvE" crowd just wants their safezones for prelude at the least.

The "PvP" crowd primarily wants to be able to kill anywhere any time. It really doesn't have much to do with reason because there isn't a reason to attack a crafter without anything to give or make except crappy starter tools.
    no no no...but there should be a dependance on combat characters to protect the defenseless crafters.

for all the cries about ganking, you would think i would see more combats standing at the junk piles waiting for me...but i dont...there is an easy solution to the pve crowds worries standing right in front of them, they ignore it and want protection programmed in.

also, without people like you and me, who will be doing the opposite of policing, there is no need to police. balance.

Quote Originally Posted by fflhktsn View Post
    no no no...but there should be a dependance on combat characters to protect the defenseless crafters.

for all the cries about ganking, you would think i would see more combats standing at the junk piles waiting for me...but i dont...there is an easy solution to the pve crowds worries standing right in front of them, they ignore it and want protection programmed in.
    Your solution has been tested and failed, and in devs we trust. Cyas.

Quote Originally Posted by MikaHR View Post
    Your solution has been tested and failed, and in devs we trust. Cyas.
    the developers tested no safe zones and it failed? bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by tommybomb View Post
    What's funny is that the devs recognize pvp and the danger of leaving your safezone as a cornerstone of the game.
    A balance of sorts must be struck. If not, people will leave.

One of the reasons themepark games get boring so fast is because there is no community. Attracting people who want to do combat is a no-brainer. The people you REALLY want to attract and keep are the other kinds of players. The community players who want to build a society within the game, not just look at everything through the lense of combat. SWG, despite being a broken, buggy game almost deviod of content was revered by the players because it had features and gameplay for the non-combat players that was as deep as the combat aspect. It attracted people who wouldn't otherwise have ever played an MMO game, and because of this the world came alive like I have not seen in any game since. The PLAYERS were the content, and it was awesome. I was surprised to find that I would actually enjoy the crafting and social features of MMOs more than the combat, especially since I played FPS games online since 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlz View Post
    Damn, sounds like reavers! Back to the ship!
    LOL ...' and if we are very lucky, they will do it in that order....' - Xoe... My favorite line in Firefly.

What's funny is that the devs recognize pvp and the danger of leaving your safezone as a cornerstone of the game.
    Yah, and safe zones as another cornerstone of the game. Everyone gets what they want. Simple. Now if you would be so kind to explain it to ffhktsn?

Again...you say that you like pvp, but continually generalize pvpers as non-community builders.
    You seem to read comments as black and white. I'm not sure if you are trolling, or you really can't have a thought that gets into the more dynamic aspects of this conversation. When was the last time you played a Themepark game full of combat players that had a rich community? I have played most of the games to come out, and I haven't seen anything like the community of SWG emerge since. This is mainly because the gameplay mechanics of most games to not take into account that there are a lot of people out there who would like to contribute to such a game, and they couldn't care less about combat.

In a nutshell, I don't think making combat the cornerstone of this game is the best of ideas.

You're going to be dispoint when tribal warfare goes in.
    Nah. If there is a balanced community and game play that respects most play styles, I'll stick around. If not, I will move on. No big deal.

tommybomb: while Tribal Warfare will be a cool feature and one that a lot of people enjoy, it has in no way been implied or stated by the devs that it will be the only playstyle after prelude. We'll just have proper ways to remain safe after prelude rather than the current safezone method. Crafting and the like will always be a huge part of the game, with new technologies discovered that unlock whole other branches of crafting, like mining for new resources and agriculture when the scrap heaps run out - not to mention the healers when that's implemented.