Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    To echo the more sensible people here, this game isn't about achieving level cap, getting meaningless, virtual trophies, or instant gratification. If you're playing it to max out, you'll never enjoy it for what it is. The term "grind" is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by fflhktsn View Post
    You should consider Vanguard, all the relaxing crafting you can take, in a more entertaining craft system, with none of the pvp to stress you.

Just saying...mabey THIS game isnt for you....
    This is for me.
    Didnt I say it is very relaxing? I love playing.

Quote Originally Posted by outfctrl View Post
    This is for me.
    Didnt I say it is very relaxing? I love playing.
    Just seemed from your last post that your one of those people highly stressed over losing easily replacable pixels. Not to mention that you have to spam more backup items than you could possibly lose in order to skill the craft up.

Quote Originally Posted by fflhktsn View Post
    Just seemed from your last post that your one of those people highly stressed over losing easily replacable pixels. Not to mention that you have to spam more backup items than you could possibly lose in order to skill the craft up.
    This may not be the game for you either. You want to gank/grief, but you don't want how you go about that controlled. You should be playing a single player game. Then you won't have to worry about other people ruining your rule-set.

See. It is easy to say things like what I stated above, but you seem to want everyone who does not follow your opinion, to play another game. Thus, you do not want to play with anyone, but your own playstyle. You clearly do not understand what a sandbox is about. It is not, "Hey this is all my sand, and if you don't play with it in the way I say, then you can just leave".

Quote Originally Posted by JCatano View Post
    It's not hard "work". The "work" just isn't interesting. SWG crafting was interesting.
    All right, so I like to be able to see all sides of the argument. And I can agree that the crafting mechanic in Xsyon is (as far as we can tell so far) currently pretty darn simple. And there are other games with more complicated crafting rules and minigames. For example, in ATITD, making charcoal is a minigame in and of iteself. So is blacksmithing. Of course, there are macros to trivialize the minigame, but perhaps Xsyon can keep the macro-tide out.

So anyways I would support talking about introducing some crafting minigames into Xsyon somewhere down the road. For example, perhaps cooking or potions can be a minigame. Maybe mixing paint dyes. Or cutting gems and installing them into sockets to enhance weapons.

In the meantime, I think perhaps crafting as it is currently is not quite as simple as you think. The devs have turned off tooltips to spare the lag, but when tooltips were up it revealed that there are all sorts of complex variables at work with crafted items. I'm thinking there are levels of sophistication there that are not immediately apparent.

What many games have done in the past to promote crafting, and to stave off crafting boredom when crafting large batches of items, they often put in small mini-games related to that specific craft. As a poster above me said, mixing potions for alchemy, or putting gems in sockets on weapons.

On a personal opinion, I believe it does help pass the time, rather than staring at a bar filling / emptying across the screen. One example of a game where I found the crafting to be rather enjoyable was due to them mini-game associated with it :

YouTube - Goonzu Minigame

It's a very easy game that everyone has played in some form or fashion; line up three symbols, they disappear, more symbols fall to take their place.

While that game itself might not appease many people and not relate much to Xsyon, something similar could be done, albeit with a changed design and of course a creative flare to it. The main point of the matter is that there are different avenues a development team could take in order to make crafting more enjoyable and interactive.

In addition to that, rather than hinging the quality of the item off the mini-game, it could simply be a bonus ( the higher the score, the more likely good of a better crafted item ) -- up to a certain point, to prevent someone from playing the crafting mini-game for hours on end, that way it is still more derived from actual skill in the craft, rather than simply playing the mini-game for boosted durability and the like.

A good example : Crafting skill of 50 is only able to craft up to X durability -- with the bonus mini-game, X Durability + Slightly more durability, which can equate out to a few more uses. While on the other hand a person with a crafting skill of 75 can craft up to X+10 Durability + More durability.

Incentive to play the mini-game, but at the same time keeping the mini-game only just that -- a mini-game. Optional and only adds slight benefit for " maximizing " what your crafting, and also passing the time while crafting ( especially if crafting large batches of items ).

Though later on, I feel that if items take longer to craft ( which would be a good thing, that way high-end equipment isn't simply spammed everywhere and creates even more specialization on top of skill decay ), it would be beneficial to have something to pass the time while crafting said items.

Again, this is just a personal opinion based off of preference. Not everyone will agree, of course.

Well... I don't want to play tetris or anything remotely unrelated to actually crafting as a mini-game.

My crafting system (lol) involves drawing (lines mostly). You can make anything as long as you can figure out how to draw a "plan" for it. The closer the plan is to the item in the game's database, the better quality the object is. Don't really feel like explaining it here it's just more like crafting than having a gameboy game.... sorry not trying to be mean. I just don't like those types of time wasters.

But.. if you've ever played Moonbase alpha, mini games like that that actually make sense to the craft wouldn't be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    Well... I don't want to play tetris or anything remotely unrelated to actually crafting as a mini-game.

My crafting system (lol) involves drawing (lines mostly). You can make anything as long as you can figure out how to draw a "plan" for it. The closer the plan is to the item in the game's database, the better quality the object is. Don't really feel like explaining it here it's just more like crafting than having a gameboy game.... sorry not trying to be mean. I just don't like those types of time wasters.

But.. if you've ever played Moonbase alpha, mini games like that that actually make sense to the craft wouldn't be bad.
    lol. I completely understand -- that was just the only example that I could find on such short notice. A minigame more closely tied in with the actual craft itself would be a great addition to the game. And yes, I have played Moonbase Alpha, though I actually didn't even think of that type of crafting -- it would fit in rather well here, given a few tweaks.

On another thought, a ' mantle and dismantle ' minigame would be nice, too. For example if crafting a weapon, you're given a dozen random parts and then begin to put the parts together that most closely resemble the weapon in question. Same with any other given craft, which would certainly make things more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JCatano View Post
    It's not hard "work". The "work" just isn't interesting. SWG crafting was interesting.

Doesn't look that exciting to me, doesn't look much different than xsyon actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW72-dIiXgs