Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ukrai View Post
    finding all the parts and putting them together. All it needs now is a mining and factory system like SWG had and ill be the happiest man on earth

i foresee, will be based entirely on what extra content they release in the next 6 months BEFORE the end of prelude. if they keep a good balance of interesting content updates and bug fixes, it will be keep me going.
    I really have to agree with you Ukrai... Ive always "emphasized" Content.... Content... Content... Tools... Tools... Tools.... Players need Content, and tools to do things within a game which allows them freedom of expression, adventure, style, form, and any other thing you can think of that allows creativity with imagination... I think alot of game company's fall short of this in the long haul...

Theres many games on the markets that did offer some of this to an extent but not in its entirety... The only 4 games I could think of that came close to this was Eve, Ultima Online, Runescape, Tales In The Desert (no combat or no hunting, cough).... Unfortunately all the above became too carebarish for me too zoned in and player restricted based on your levels where you could go, and what you can do other than Eve of course in scope... There may be a few others that Ive missed or refused to state because they were pretty much near misses but not on linear scope of this topic, and had other element styles of play...

One of my All time favorites was Roma Victor despite its bugs... The community regardless of drama was awesome, and Ive made some really great friends from there... Of which Id also like to add Community is important as well... As a Community I think its our part to make Xsyon what it is if developers can provide the Content, and tools...

Im Looking forward to seeing everyone in Xsyon soon... I Know I will prob be hated by many , and loved by few lol... But always remember its part of the game, and nothing personal...

Personally, I am into this game for foraging, fishing, hunting and scavanging. Hopefully, our tribe will have people with specializations in crafting. IF I can collect everything for an item, someone else can make it for me. We will see. I am hoping that everyone in the Tribe will specialized in something. Mine will be the above. I want to max out those skills and get good at it.

One of, if not THE most important aspect of SWG was the complex Resource, Crafting and Trade system. That aspect of the game alone was larger/deeper than most other complete MMO games. I don't know if the devs from this game got to play pre-NGE SWG, but I think there was a lot to be learned there. The system was a blast. Unlike crafting in modern MMO games, it was a complete gameplay style in SWG. One need not ever pick up a weapon (if they were in a guild), because the crafting game was complete. I believe this system was the glue that held together the whole game. It drew in players that might not have ever played an MMO, and many of them couldn't care less about combat. The same went for the science, medical and entertainer professions.

Imagine my surprise when I joined SWG after years of playing hardcore combat in FPS games such as Quake, Quake2, Tribes, Unreal, etc, to find out that I absolutely loved not only crafting and selling/trading good with others, but in playing a cooking profession which provided buffs. One big mistake modern MMO developers make is they assume no one wants to play a game like that, and that combat is king. Sure, it is king when all you draw in is combat players because the other aspects of your game are a weak afterthought seemingly tacked on at the last months of dev.

Combat is NOT the end-all-be-all of these games, and any dev who thinks it is will be selling their game short. This is especially true of indy games that are competing with countless other AAA, big budget combat MMOs. While this game clearly and understandably needs a lot of work, they have a real shot here at building something special. Yes, combat should be important, but not at the cost of other play styles. If you want to make this a fantastic and profitable niche game like EVE, think of everyone, not just the combat players.

4. 02-28-2011, 08:06 AM