Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Why I don't like Xsyon

Now, seeing as I'm posting this on a site full of Xsyon fans I know I will get flames, but I hope to see a mature discussion and hopefully the devs can use this to improve their game, which can cause me to start playing again.

The game starts simple: you create a character and login. And now? You got not a clue what to do unless you go look to third party videos which shouldn't be the way to learn a new game. Yes, there's a manual, but that's quite different. You look to some videos, start foraging etcetera. After more than an hour of travel, 2 deaths and more cluelessness about everything I reach a tribe. Now what?

I could go fishing. Grinding.
    I could go Scavenging. Grinding. (Walk to some location, stare at a casting bar, walk a bit forward, stare at a casting bar etc).
    I could go foraging. Same story.
    I could go chopping. Same story.
    I could go Terraforming. Not really and perhaps the most fun thing, but it becomes mindnumbing very quickly.
    I could go crafting, but for that, you'll have to grind more than any game I've ever seen before.

Now, I know many people won't mind grinding. But the fact that it's simply staring at a casting bar 50% of the time, dropping items to make space 25% of the time and walking forward 25% of time time, just ain't fun. The physics don't look realistic which make it quite annoying as well, as well as the fact you actually have to have your mouse BENEATH the button you want to click for it to turn red and clickable (but I assume this gets fixed).
    Now you can start to build walls. So what? It's not like theres a threat of getting raided by animals or so. And if, -if-, somehow there's every a war they will simply come throuh your entrance.. There are no fighting skills (as in, action skills) the fighting isn't really spectacular either.

In short, the game is very confusing at start which will stop many newcomers, and it feels like a major grind without gaining anything for it. Because yes, you build a town, but 99% of the things you build seem to be purely cosmetic and useless. Put this together with a bad-responding UI, movement control and the graphics (square blocks as shadows from leaves??) I really don't like the game.

Sounds like this game isn't for you. It's not for everyone. Plain as that.

1. It's an RPG based on skills that level while you are doing them.
    2. I'm an architect so I don't really have to grind up craft skills.
    3. Chopping trees in Xsyon actually makes sense, you chop the tree and it falls over right in front of you, then you determine if you want to cut it up into small or large pieces.
    4 Terraforming is my most favorite thing about this entire game, I can shape the world the way I see fit.
    5. Crafting requires help from many people and is one of the best ideas that I've seen for this game, you can't be a pure solo player, after all it's an MMO.
    6. Combat is continually being worked on and optimized and now that they have a new programmer dedicated to the combat we should start to see some nice changes/additions to the combat.
    7. Walls are optional, however there are gates as well that haven't been released yet- in order to get into your city they will have to siege there way in.
    8. Graphics to me are decent and because they are not as graphic heavy in this game more people will be able to run Xyson with a better ping/fps.

Last thing you talk about is how confusing it is, I admit that there's a learning curve but to me that's one of my top things I like with new mmo's- learning how to play. I don't feel like I need an in game guide telling me what to do, I like exploring the controls just as much as I like exploring the world.

However, you are probably right- Xsyon just might not be for you.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithStone View Post
    1. It's an RPG and skills based on hwat you do.
    2. If you don't like grinding you probably should not be playing rpg's.
    3. Chopping trees in Xsyon actually makes sense, you chop the tree and it ralls over right in front of you, then you determine if you want to cut it up into small or large pieces.
    4 Terraforming is my most favorite thing about this entire game, I can shape the world the way I see fit.
    5. Crafting requires help from many people and is one of the best ideas that I've seen for this game, you can't be a pure solo player, after it's an MMO.
    6. Combat is continually being worked on and optimized, and now that they have a new programmer dedicated to the combat we should start to see some nice changes/additions to the combat.
    7. Walls are optional, however there are gates as well that haven't been released yet- in order to get into your city they will have to siege there way in.

Last thing you talk abou tis how confusing it is, I admit that there's a learning curve but to me that's one of my top things I like with new mmo's- learning how to play.

However, you are probably right- Xsyon just might not be for you.
    2. I have been playing (mmo)rpgs for years now, and yes they're 'my kind of game'. However, there's a difference between grinding and grinding. The grinding here is staring at a casting bar, grinding in many other mmos is using 5+ different skills, fighting or at least really feeling like you're doing something yourself instead of looking at your screen and doing nothing.

3. I never said it doesn't make sense ?
    4. As said in my original post I agree Terraforming is quite fun, but mindnumbing.
    5. I never said you don't require help, but you require the help of several people in the way that they're all grinding.
    6. I ofcourse don't know about things that aren't released yet, but for now the combat is simply nothing spectacular.
    7. As long as there are no gates walls are useless.
    8. You're quite contradicting yourself here to be honest. Why should they have to run on thngs that don't get run? How many self-respectable gamers still run on Pentium? A game shouldnt lower their graphics for no longer buyable machines to be able to run it.

And yes as you could've obviously made up from my OP this game ain't for me, I'm just trying to discuss why/why not .

Quote Originally Posted by sionide View Post
    agree its not for everyone, sometimes I question why I love this game. But I DO hahahaa

You have some problems on your side with the second to last paragraph. Full screen I have no problems with "clicking", but if I pick an awkward resolution for window mode I do have to click a little lower than the center of emote icons. Barely noticible.

Also by the second to last and last paragraph it's pretty clear you haven't read much about the game. Search the FAQ section and throughout the forums for future features. The game isn't done yet we are starting off in prelude to create the foundation of the gaming world as players. It's probably the current lag on your UI problem. Bad movement and graphics? Change your key binds....? The shadows just seems low resed you probably have to up your shadow res or turn on advanced shadows... I don't remember.

~All in all it seems like as sionide said, this isn't your game. When I first started it was before the 18th and I had no clue what to do, but I learned a lot without videos or help. I like the cluelessness and feeling that you're really lost when you're really lost.

So what did I do? I asked myself, what did I want to do? So I explored until I found someplace that seemed like a nice place to call home. Then I built a fire.... searched around the lake... stole some bins/containers...discovered that the green mist is not friendly.

The point is that you aren't directed. You get to do whatever you want as long as you have the tools "in game and out" to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldun View Post
    2. I have been playing (mmo)rpgs for years now, and yes they're 'my kind of game'. However, there's a difference between grinding and grinding. The grinding here is staring at a casting bar, grinding in many other mmos is using 5+ different skills, fighting or at least really feeling like you're doing something yourself instead of looking at your screen and doing nothing.

3. I never said it doesn't make sense ?
    4. As said in my original post I agree Terraforming is quite fun, but mindnumbing.
    5. I never said you don't require help, but you require the help of several people in the way that they're all grinding.
    6. I ofcourse don't know about things that aren't released yet, but for now the combat is simply nothing spectacular.
    7. As long as there are no gates walls are useless.
    8. You're quite contradicting yourself here to be honest. Why should they have to run on thngs that don't get run? How many self-respectable gamers still run on Pentium? A game shouldnt lower their graphics for no longer buyable machines to be able to run it.

And yes as you could've obviously made up from my OP this game ain't for me, I'm just trying to discuss why/why not .
    I edited my post to make more sense, I kind of got off topic a little with what I wanted to talk about- I wasn't trying to convince you that you should like the game just because of the things that I like abou it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldun View Post
    Now, seeing as I'm posting this on a site full of Xsyon fans I know I will get flames, but I hope to see a mature discussion and hopefully the devs can use this to improve their game, which can cause me to start playing again.

The game starts simple: you create a character and login. And now? You got not a clue what to do unless you go look to third party videos which shouldn't be the way to learn a new game. Yes, there's a manual, but that's quite different. You look to some videos, start foraging etcetera. After more than an hour of travel, 2 deaths and more cluelessness about everything I reach a tribe. Now what?

I could go fishing. Grinding.
    I could go Scavenging. Grinding. (Walk to some location, stare at a casting bar, walk a bit forward, stare at a casting bar etc).
    I could go foraging. Same story.
    I could go chopping. Same story.
    I could go Terraforming. Not really and perhaps the most fun thing, but it becomes mindnumbing very quickly.
    I could go crafting, but for that, you'll have to grind more than any game I've ever seen before.

Now, I know many people won't mind grinding. But the fact that it's simply staring at a casting bar 50% of the time, dropping items to make space 25% of the time and walking forward 25% of time time, just ain't fun. The physics don't look realistic which make it quite annoying as well, as well as the fact you actually have to have your mouse BENEATH the button you want to click for it to turn red and clickable (but I assume this gets fixed).
    Now you can start to build walls. So what? It's not like theres a threat of getting raided by animals or so. And if, -if-, somehow there's every a war they will simply come throuh your entrance.. There are no fighting skills (as in, action skills) the fighting isn't really spectacular either.

In short, the game is very confusing at start which will stop many newcomers, and it feels like a major grind without gaining anything for it. Because yes, you build a town, but 99% of the things you build seem to be purely cosmetic and useless. Put this together with a bad-responding UI, movement control and the graphics (square blocks as shadows from leaves??) I really don't like the game.
    I always hated when people said "you're playing it wrong" . . I think this might be the closest case. When I started playing Darkfall someone suggested that I not grind but instead just play the game. .. do a bit of everything and if I wanted to focus on a certain skill just use that more. The idea of salvaging isn't to increase your salvaging skill. It is to get items while exploring / hunting etc. If you are here to "level" your character then sure it is a grind.

I remember a friend of mine tried UO well after release. I told him how it was not a grind. He found it that way though he said you just grind skills instead of levels. I had only ever skilled up while "adventuring". Does Xsyon offer the same interesting world to explore as UO? Time will tell once things get settled.

I can see your point. . once you have a home. . etc. etc. what are you suppose to do. By then there will hopefully be some politics going on. This is not a game that you should play like a single player MMO - but that seems to be how you are approaching it. It won't work. I am not sure how long it will hold my attention as I am a bit of a "completionist". There are lots of people who just like to play in a virtual world. Your reasons for disliking it are valid. I would suggest trying some more things out. . get out and talk to people and give the game a good try after release.

It would be nice if some of the more grindy aspects were a bit more interactive.

Quote Originally Posted by sionide View Post
    this