I read somewhere that you are giving all the beta players their desired spots in the game at launch... Can I ask if this is true and why?

I dunno, but I purposely didn't port out and adventure, saving most exploration for retail etc, and I'm quite sure the big guilds did the opposite and know everything and where everything is and where to setup camp. So not sure why you giving free dibs in the game that is all about openness and for the taking to them?

Reading that was a big downer, and have to say a lot of my friends who are waiting for launch who not buy yet are a bit miffed by this and hessitant to play now..

Hopefully you are not falling victim to the fanboy support system. they may pay your rent initially but let me tell you, I come from many other fanboy controlled games, like Faces of Mankind etc. Your fanboys can destroy your company just as well as they can sustain it at launch. Most of them are kniving manipulative exploiters that do whatever it takes to get power and abuse their authority and shun the rest of the community completely. Anyhow, good luck in your choice. although I think its a bad one right now.
Come launch day, I should have the right to lay my head (homestead) anywhere I chose not already chosen by someone before me.. And be driven out of the spot if someone has the skills to try. Not get born into a completely controlled zone, kinda have problem that in real life, dont want to pay for it again