Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavoda View Post
    you clearly have never spent a day in your live coding archangei...
    That is completely true, i was talking out of my hat. This is exactly why a thing like this could be vented.
    Coding aside i still think its a pretty good compromise

From what i have read and see whats really going to grief people is when a tribe has 10 foot walls and a gate the enemy can't get in when this goes in effect. Where will this lead the forums?
    Back here complaining that the guy they chased was able to enter the tribe gate and he couldnt get them. if it isn't safe now it will be when gates come in to play. same thing goes for home stead build walls and add gate and you can pass threw your gate with enemy trapped out side. Now the homestead and tribe ground is a complete safe spot locking bad people out.

Yet you will find another thread started complaining they can't get in tribal land, an how much it is a safe zone. Pritty much way it is now with out the 10 foot walls and the gate surrounding the land markers. Watch and see. Think this is also why this isn't a pvp griefing game like some others i hear about but never played and more than likely will never play.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangei View Post
    Considering how it is now and compared to this id say this is still a greater risk This is called a compromise..
    Im not really understanding your statement...Which part is still a greater risk? Of course there is a compromise. I don't think it is healthy for the compromise to force risk to only one side between the pvp and crafting populace. It should be balanced EVENLY.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangei View Post
    And if you want to go there, how do you magicly put locks on your baskets?
    Exactly and I agree - you cannot. However, for the scope of this game, you dont really have a choice but to have some physical location have a locked item that holds other items. The mechanics simply aren't there to do it any other way. I agree that something is needed, like a bank, to hold items. The game simply would not work if every crafter had to carry everything 100% of the time and NOBODY had a secure "stash". I don't believe that making a structure that holds the player, all his hoarded wealth, and any other players he chooses should be indestructable/inaccessible by other players ALONG WITH huge city walls, moats, gates.

If outside tribe members have ways of getting into a player village besides simply walking through an unlocked gate (eg, climbing skill, craftable ladders/ropes, or anything possibly used to scale a wall), that would be fun. Having secure/safe places for players AND things 100% of game time only inspires people to log on and macro all day. Thats not PLAYING a game. That is boring. Risk isn't the devil.

I think it's a great idea, I don't like the magical anti-violence barrier thing we have going now with current tribal safezones. Doesn't feel very "dangerous post-apocalypse" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyledoubleyou View Post
    I think it's a great idea, I don't like the magical anti-violence barrier thing we have going now with current tribal safezones. Doesn't feel very "dangerous post-apocalypse" to me.
    Well, this games lore is about angels and demons and ancient gods and stuff. Magic protection fits into the lore pretty well.

I don't understand why "Hardcore" players are the biggest crybabies. If they cant jump 1 carebear with 5 people then the game is for noobs. I fail to understand their logic, by being hardcore they are actually carebears...

Quote Originally Posted by Krashner View Post
    I don't understand why "Hardcore" players are the biggest crybabies. If they cant jump 1 carebear with 5 people then the game is for noobs. I fail to understand their logic, by being hardcore they are actually carebears...
    The all or nothing people really bug me too. But it goes both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Krashner View Post
    Im actually worried about the opposite because ive literally seen it already in darkfall...

In the early days, armor/weapons werent implemented properly (like here). Any weapon, from newbie weapons to the highest level, did the same exact amount of damage to a person REGARDLESS of what they were wearing. In other words, the guy decked out in full plate armor with a GM crafted weapon did the same exact damage to a NAKED player as he did to a fully geared player. Armor was negated and weapons did the same damage all regardless of actual skill level of player/stats.

So, basically, what you had was massive amounts of people sitting SAFELY in the safezones macroing peacefully generating huge amounts of lag and NOT actually playing the game. The "hardcore" player, as you aptly put it, would actually venture out of his happy safe place and actually TRY to play the game. When he got to the player town, he would see vast amounts of naked people macroing. The macroers always had a couple that would "see" the potential incoming pvp.

The macroers would next simply click their "bank" that they were macroing, safely, next to and deposit their resources they were using and take a newbie weapon out and equip it. Now, you have several naked "carebear macroers" bumrushing the "hardcore pvper". Its complete gain for the macroers...if they kill that guy and even get a single piece of his loot. Zerg the pvper down, loot, done.

Then return back to the safe bank area, macro until further notice.

THAT was completely boring and annoying. It is really easy to throw the terms around (carebear, griefer, etc) but sad reality is people only cry about it when it didnt work in their favor. I would really hate to see such a potentially great game NOT played by people because they are macroing all day. Any of us can log into another game and do that.

On reality:

If reality were so great, none of us would play Xsyon (or read a book or watch a movie).

In reality, a fool-proof bank or safe is as silly as locking baskets. Banks get robbed, safes get broken into. So even if reality were so great to emulate, there's no way to 'realistically' store your stuff.

When reality impedes enjoyment, throw reality out!