Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My opinion is that the map is large enough for the current population.

Huge portions of the map are unsettled because almost all tribes try to find a spot with access to a junkpile. I've travelled very extensively on the map and I've certainly seen not more than maybe 10 homesteads far away from a junkpile - and have not seen a single tribe living wild. And that makes sense too, very few things can be made without something from a junkpile.

What I would like to see are a number (say, 40 to 50) really small junkpiles scattered around in the woods and mountains. That way more locations would be viable to settle on early in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by neestas View Post
    There's way more suitable land to build than most people think. Yes, some of it is not very resourcefull, but talking about lack of suitable to build land? Grab a shovel and explore terra forming a bit.
    You also need to take into consideration that not everyone has bothered to replace totems / tribal areas since the failed launch , due to knowing yet more wipes were incomming . The game has a lot larger population now than it had 3 months ago .

I also think the mists need to be moved back , even if its only 2 more zones further out than now it would help .

Quote Originally Posted by Redemp View Post
    Lands value is determined by the resources avaliable to it, the mountain areas which I was commenting on not only don't have access to those resources but also are on land unsuitable to build on. Terraforming the hill of a mountain in order to place the basic foundations for a tribe is not an acceptable rebutal.

I have also spent countless hours terraforming, and I asure you its not as simple as planting a totem and "grab a shovel" ... it takes finese to level a plot down, many hands, and many hours to "build out" an area suitable to base at.
    It's by no means easy and yes, it takes hours of work. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Are you aiming to build a shack from scrap metal and be done? In such case you don't really need land. If you plan to build a village... Then you need shoveling. Simple.

Lack of scrap in certain zones is noticable, yes. And that's a good thing too imho. A bit of wilderness and places where you'd be able to find animals to hunt rather than 1 totem per scrap pile which are 3-4 per zone and fireplaces each 50 meters is good. Furthermore, it increases competition for the "good" zones. This is not farmville. And that's good.

Now obviously the big question... Is currently available map enough for the release? Fuck knows. Will see on launch day and couple weeks after.

Sorry did you border to explore at all? speaking of current "beta" theres open spots all over the place, specialty for homesteads. most tribes spots are taken around the lake but there are way way more junk piles scatters around whit perfect spots for tribes.

Now some extra zones would be nice, makes it a little less crowded but a need for it there is not. Being a little crowded aint bad also, makes homesteads join tribes as tribes will guard the pile next door for them selfs if there ain't to much.

uh.. I think your missing the end game

Quote Originally Posted by Redemp View Post
    A lot of those areas are unsuitable for someone to place a totem , they lack resources and land suitable to build on. I understand many people will suggest that not everyone will be able to place on or near junk, but I do not believe that is an adequate response to people desiring a location near a nessecary resource. Junk is going to evaporate very quickly when the game launchs and securing a location where you can harvest some of it is absolutely nessecary for a tribe.

Edit :
    I have spent days exploring , so its not a question of me just not understanding what is currently available.

Your totally missing the end game.. Some people will have to settle outside of their comfort zones.. this is a post apoc world.. not "farmville."

The better places will be built on and faught over. If you want a better place.. be prepared to have to defend it. Right now everything is plentiful.. but there is no point to having everything readily avalable to everyone..

If that was the case everyone would sit in their safe zones and craft. What a boring game that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by neestas View Post
    It's by no means easy and yes, it takes hours of work. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Are you aiming to build a shack from scrap metal and be done? In such case you don't really need land. If you plan to build a village... Then you need shoveling. Simple.

Lack of scrap in certain zones is noticable, yes. And that's a good thing too imho. A bit of wilderness and places where you'd be able to find animals to hunt rather than 1 totem per scrap pile which are 3-4 per zone and fireplaces each 50 meters is good. Furthermore, it increases competition for the "good" zones. This is not farmville. And that's good.

Now obviously the big question... Is currently available map enough for the release? Fuck knows. Will see on launch day and couple weeks after.
    I wondered who would be the first to bring up the difficulty as a point of contention. It is not a matter of difficulty, I think we can all agree this game does not cater to those looking for an easy ride. It is a matter of practicality and survival for a newly placed tribe. I understand that you can build on land with no resources and survive , I also think this is impractical and not the design direction or desire of the Dev team.

Increasing the map size would also spread the populous out a bit, which would in turn reduce the necessity we see now of placing in the centralized junk rich zones. This is not farmville , I'm not sure why you brought that up, but you are correct. Increasing the size of the map available on launch, thus increasing the spread of the population and availability of necessary resources does not make the game easier, nor does it turn it into Farmville.

You are also correct that there needs to be areas without junk piles, those areas are best suited to hunting and logging. This however does not weigh into the necessity for more areas with access to some of the resources needed, and the undeniable need to spread the population out.

Quote Originally Posted by coca View Post
    Your totally missing the end game.. Some people will have to settle outside of their comfortzone.. this is post apoc.. not carebear farms.

The better places will be built on and faught over. If you want a better place.. be prepared to have to defend it. Right now everything is plentiful.. but there is no point to having everything readily avalable to everyone.. if that is the case everyoe would sit in their safe zones and craft. What a boring game that would be.
    You do understand you can not fight over the better places for at least six months? You should also understand the basic necessity for all tribes to have access to resources, this ideal is not "carebear" it is practicality. You can disagree with me it if you want, but increasing the map size a few zones does nothing to harm the game given the massive amount of new players to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chavoda View Post
    Sorry did you border to explore at all? speaking of current "beta" theres open spots all over the place, specialty for homesteads. most tribes spots are taken around the lake but there are way way more junk piles scatters around whit perfect spots for tribes.

Now some extra zones would be nice, makes it a little less crowded but a need for it there is not. Being a little crowded aint bad also, makes homesteads join tribes as tribes will guard the pile next door for them selfs if there ain't to much.
    As I stated before .. I did explore. I also cross refrenced known areas with google maps to determine possible resource rich areas , in addition to exploring most of the mountains just for hunting. You are misguided if you think we will see open spots all over for placement come launch give the current map size. I am speaking on tribe placement in regards to this thread , obviously homesteads will require less and thus be able to place in areas less suitable for a tribe.

Dunno if you're aware of this OP but the usable land isn't confined to the shore around the lake. I took a strole up a mountain this morning and on the other side, there's a huge area (looks just as big as the lake area itself) with water and junkpiles everywhere. I didn't go all the way down so for all I know there might be an invisible wall somewhere on the way that blocks you from going there.

Quote Originally Posted by jcapde View Post
    Dunno if you're aware of this OP but the usable land isn't confined to the shore around the lake. I took a strole up a mountain this morning and on the other side, there's a huge area (looks just as big as the lake area itself) with water and junkpiles everywhere. I didn't go all the way down so for all I know there might be an invisible wall somewhere on the way that blocks you from going there.
    You can see areas ontop of mountains as you stated, those areas are closed in by mist.. which my thoughts in the first post were to open up a smidge for more placement. My tribe is also placed in the mountains .. in an ideal spot with access to most, but not all the needed resources. We like it .. and don't plan on moving come launch, that doesn't change my opinion that I shouldn't have neighbors occupying every meter of space around me... it just doesn't jive with the atmosphere.

Just as an aside : Imagine joining the game a week after launch, you explore for a day or two and excitedly recruit your guild to join you in Xsyon. You finally get enough people into the game, used to the mechanics and start looking for a place to put a tribe totem. You search for a few days and are unable to find any area which is not already extensively inhabited by tribes ... what do you?