Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Two servers?

I think 2 servers with 2 different pvp setups will not work. One will stay heavily populated.

Aside from possible issues, 2 severs might be a good idea... interaction probably won't be too heavy starting out anyway, it will solve some of the territory issues, maybe, and i assume it will deal with the whole terraforming/lag issue that seems to have cropped up with so many people doing it at the same time.

Then again, an empty world would be boring as tribes become more advanced... but by then hopefully the issues would be fixed by then and the game could handle more players.

At a guess i would say... 2 servers earlier release, 1 server more problems, later release. Just a guess though

Quote Originally Posted by Eremon View Post
    As Delvie indicated, I don't believe this game has been coded to allow for an Eve type universe.

I agree with the 2 servers, 2 different Pvp setup. Let players have a choice in the type of environment they wish to play in. I can also understand why players are opposed to it.
    Everybody needs a bad guy so I don't believe there should be a PvE and PvP type server. Believe it or not I don't mind waiting for safe zones to come down in 6 months. To me the prelude is the part where we get everything set but I think during the prelude we should have to fend off hordes of NPC mutants or something to make defenses relevant.

My point is splitting the server would actually kill the game. I get that there is a PvE crowd scared of the PvP crowd and the griefers but I also understand this is a sandbox and we create our own enemies. So if they split the server the devs will have to make PvE content and a lot of it to keep you guys busy because after a month of no real enemies you'll be bored out of your skulls.

Two servers would fundamentally "kick the can" down the road tbh.

Opening multiple servers now, only to re-merge them later because of changing population is a recipe for problems. Every MMO server merger has had issues that upset their player base. This would be complicated exponentially due to the nature of tribe totems and such.

The driving factor here will be a technical one for sure...but if it is possible to keep things on one server & one rule-set (using the Tranquility Eve server as an example) would minimize problems I would think. One of the critical successes of CCP is/was the advent of one-big-sever community.

Also just think on the endless forum BS associated with two server with different rule-sets...The endless nonsense banter of hardcore vrs. carebear would cause cause the forums to implode.

I think the two server approach is a band-aid fix at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Totone View Post
    I wonder if two servers would seperate non pvp and pvp.

The nature of the game will not lend itself well to any Player who thinks they will just log in and kill. Pvp'rs unlike greifers, are self starters who will do all their crafting themselves inorder to win. Johny come lately pvp self titled gods usually wont have the stamina for that, and will slowly leave due to getting wtfpwnt.

I want a target rich environment with large scale tribal warfare. I'll get that with or without players who have no desire to pvp. So two servers suits me just fine. One server with a percentage of the population safe and able to supply arms/supplies to griefers bothers me.
    You wont you know - people who consider themselves "pvpers" rather than "griefers" are often more than willing to put in MORE time and effort than the average PVEr to win.

You will have no fun in a game like DF because theyre ALL PVPers/griefers, equally you will have no fun in Hello Kitty Online, because at the end of the day the fun of the game is not to build a community/city etc, but to beat your human counterparts.

If you do just like the building/community aspect, I would honestly suggest Hello Kitty, Sims, Minecraft or many other games (that are not labled "sandbox") as better games for you to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopibear View Post
    I would ask for a refund as well if they run 2 servers.
    They just need to get better server host... which is what they are doing now right?
    Besides xsyon player base isn't that TOO massive and large and big.. bandwidth just sucks...
    Compare the playerbase with other mmo's, this is nothing..
    There was a lot of talk about second server when there was possibility of EU server and most of us were agains it. Jooky then said that he will add second server if it is nessesary(population was too big).

Now there are two possibilities: second server with different PvP rules or code won't support that many people(one of the reasons of lag was terraforming and other actions altering the world).

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    Now there are two possibilities: second server with different PvP rules or code won't support that many people(one of the reasons of lag was terraforming and other actions altering the world).
    I can agree with this.

If it's the code though we cannot blame him. Hell did anyone notice how WTFPWNED Rift just got? They had to open a truck load more servers. They got slammed....

The mmorpg market is massive guys.

The only feedback I have on that though is I have not noticed that many players online? Ever? Even during release 1.5 weeks ago, I did not "See" that many players?? Of course it was kinda hard too with the multiple minute client to server response time..lol

Maybe if we could get some numbers from Jordi on how many clients he had connected? That would make for better intel to base a vote off of for sure.

Jordi already said that he would consider 2 different servers with different PvP rules after Prelude, so its much better to start with them right now IMO, before tribes settle down, and before PvP players get bored during the next 6-9 months ( or even more).

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    Jordi already said that he would consider 2 different servers with different PvP rules after Prelude, so its much better to start with them right now IMO, before tribes settle down, and before PvP players get bored during the next 6-9 months ( or even more).
    Jordi sais he is considering a lot of things, but Jad TBH a pve only game (or server) is not a sandbox, anymore than Minceraft is.

EDIT And please quit fitting PvPers ino your own world view. I'm a PvPer and lead many guilds on many games to supremacy - it took many months to many YEARS on many. We have no less staying power than PvErs.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmoonstrike View Post
    I get that there is a PvE crowd scared of the PvP crowd and the griefers but I also understand this is a sandbox and we create our own enemies.
    I never said anything about PvE in my post. Everyone who has subscribed to this game knows it involves PvP, so your statement regarding the "PvE crowd being scared of the PvP crowd" is nonsense.

I agree with an earlier post in this thread.

1 Server with Prelude rules
    1 Server with Chaos rules

Both have PvP.