Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Two servers?

Two servers?

Do you think that Xsyon should have two, or more, servers? Why or why not?

Out of personal belief, the reason I would say no is for multiple reasons.

For starters, a single consistent world has far more player standing and actions ripple in it from player decisions. EvE, for example -- everyone who played EvE from 2006 to late 2009 knew who GoonSwarm were. They developed a reputation that stretched out across a single, persistent universe.

The same is true now. AAA, BoB, etc. Their actions and the actions of players effect everyone, consistently.

If you split the servers, it will become " Well our best tribe can pwn your best tribe! " without any real way of knowing ( this being after Prelude, of course ). It takes a wide variety of people to make a sandbox MMO work successfully, and Eve has proven this that it DOES work.

The second reason is for population reasons. Rather than split up a community of less than 10k players on to two servers, it would be more meaningful to keep that community together, and only expand to two servers IF the active-player count rises beyond what is acceptable for a single server to handle. And even that can be debated about, pending the other reasons why a person would say no.

I can see 2 good reasons to start with 2 servers:

1. if the population is already too high for one server. In this case its necessary, we can't do much about it.

2. The 2 servers will have 2 different PvP setup. 1 for war, no safe zones or safe zones only for like some weeks and with tribal wars, and another one with safe zones and strict PvP rules. I would agree with this setup strongly, this way PvP players wouldn't have to wait for 6-9 months to start to have fun while the more peaceful players can play in relative peace as well.

In order to do the one world thing like EVE I believe the game has to be built from the ground up to handle the technology. Don't think Xsyon is.

Personally I'd love to keep it one world if performance doesn't suffer - but that's unrealistic. Bottom line is I want to be able to get on and play the game without horrendous lag.

The only other issue I see is what happens with server merges if that ever needs to occur.

No to multiple servers, for myself.

I'd hate to see tribes split up to different servers as well as enemies.
    I also agree on the population and the actions of players.

Not really more for me to add but if they split the servers I may ask for a refund...
    I mean if they split the servers then this will take a turn towards a game I don't want to see. (I was hoping for an eve like world where each server was a different part of the landmass.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post

1. if the population is already too high for one server. In this case its necessary, we can't do much about it.

2. The 2 servers will have 2 different PvP setup. 1 for war, no safe zones or safe zones only for like some weeks and with tribal wars, and another one with safe zones and strict PvP rules. I would agree with this setup strongly, this way PvP players wouldn't have to wait for 6-9 months to start to have fun while the more peaceful players can play in relative peace as well.
    Your points may or may not be valid, but a few comments:

Do they mean a pvp server and a pve server....

Or indeed 2 normal servers based on location...

Or is it one with saved totems or one without?

Would be grateful of much clarification of the survey please, as I see no point putting forward any viewpoint on what any of us may believe is a good idea until we understand the question in it's entirety...

EDIT Jad I can't believe your already wanting to seperate the playpen, without the game even launching. You can't have a sandbox pve game, you may as well go play Minecraft :-(

The only way I would support 2 servers is for 2 different rulesets.

1.) normal (like it is now)

2.) chaos (no safe zones)

2 servers with the same ruleset would destroy the game.....it would be a horrible move right now.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmoonstrike View Post
    No to multiple servers, for myself.

I'd hate to see tribes split up to different servers as well as enemies.
    I also agree on the population and the actions of players.

Not really more for me to add but if they split the servers I may ask for a refund...
    I mean if they split the servers then this will take a turn towards a game I don't want to see. (I was hoping for an eve like world where each server was a different part of the landmass.)
    An Eve-style setup would be the ideal choice, but Xsyon said earlier that though it is in the plans, its not possible right now. Would you ask for a refund if the 2 servers are necessary because the population is too high ?

Quote Originally Posted by Delvie View Post
    In order to do the one world thing like EVE I believe the game has to be built from the ground up to handle the technology. Don't think Xsyon is.

Personally I'd love to keep it one world if performance doesn't suffer - but that's unrealistic. Bottom line is I want to be able to get on and play the game without horrendous lag.

The only other issue I see is what happens with server merges if that ever needs to occur.
    What both of you said is one of the things where I would consider a second server necessary -- if there was lag or if performance in general suffered due to population. In which case, performance trumps all else in this case.

As to the PvP Server, that one I am somewhat leery about, as safe zones are to be removed after Prelude regardless. It would become somewhat of a moot server once all safe zones were off on the original. Although unless you mean to keep safe zones indefinitly? Which could be its own slight issue, all things considered.

An Eve-style setup would be the ideal choice, but Xsyon said earlier that though it is in the plans, its not possible right now. Would you ask for a refund if the 2 servers are necessary because the population is too high ?
    Yes because if they ever wanted to merge the servers together somebody would be getting screwed. No matter the type of servers there should only be one.

One server, ten servers.... Wipe, no Wipe... Just launch the game already.