Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I made a similar post on another forum about this game and the hopes that they stick to a "master plan" of sorts and go with it, instead of folding to the whims of the community. You have my agreement on this!

Thread worth posting in. What sold the game to me was his vision, the feature list on the web page.

I think he's the type of developer that knowns how to ignore the early complaining and useless discussion about PvP and PvE were nobody incl me known the real facts off.
    Discusions are always find to let him know how we curently see the development going, unfortunate most end flames between groups for and against mechanics that are not in the game nor confirmed to be.
    Me.. I have a idea like everyone in my mind of how things might be in several months/ a year, But until something is in game and finished all that it are is idea's. Until that time I keep happily pointing out flaws in people's post about their complains, That is until i'm sick of it and just ignore the boards completely :P.

My only real concern here is that the game not change away from it's fundamental core vision.

Things like safezones do not concern me all that much, as I knew this game had pvp and I am fully prepared for the possibility of their removal ( or not ).

I am concerned that in an attempt to keep "everyone" happy, The Devs will adjust the game away from what brought many here in the first place.

We have all seen that happen before many many times in other games. But the fact remains that there is a large population of players that love to craft and build things, and truly love the idea of a sandbox game where they can affect the "world" they play in. Those same players, ( although usually playing PVE games ) DO get tired of others that are bent on ruining others fun, and secretly desire for a bit o' payback.

This game will be exactly what MANY players want. No need to worry about keeping a profitable amount of players.. that will happen all by itself, IF this game stays true to it's vision.

My concern here is that the developer is not the personality type that reaches beyond the moon when all he has is a toy rocket.

We all know the type, the guy who at a party gets all excited about his idea to build a new car with some clever widget and his excitement extends even to the next day with him claiming that investors will throw money his way because its such a brilliant idea.

Taking combat engine for example, 'oh yeah the MMO doesnt have a combat engine yet but we hired a guy to get that done it should be done in a few months'. Come on guys, the combat engine in an MMO? Isnt that like a huge part of most games in some cases the entire game?

Maybe I am wrong, combat in MMOs have been around for a long time so maybe they have 'plug and play' code now one can purchase, it wouldnt surprise me. however, without that as being an option I would think creating a combat engine for an MMO is still 'we are trying to proove we can do this' phase.

I think he has a solid framework around crafting and general game interaction but with that said considering how much is missing from the game at this stage a great deal of posters are making a great deal of assumptions and are worrying about a great deal of things that require their current assumptions to be accurate (namely that the game will get ever get to a phase where tweaking tribe/pvp rules will be even something worth talking about).

In short, lets all wait until combat is actually in the game and armour is actually helpful before getting to concerned about pvp rule set. I think we are still a good year away before its something even worth talking about.

Possibly so, Fabric...

But it also seems pretty obvious that his vision was to make a great sandbox crafting and building game with a pvp element. Combat never has been his primary focus.

Granted combat is a part of almost all MMO's. But not ALL.

That's partly why I made this thread. You see, it's the players that have come here with the impression that this game is focused on pvp that cause my concern. Show me where the developer(s) have ever said that pvp was their focus. I have looked high and low and .. nope... not found that statement anywhere.

Wishing something is true does not make it true. This game was always focused on sandbox style crafting and building with a few unique aspects like terraforming... with a small bit of pvp added in because of the simulated environment. Namely, humans in a post-apocalyptic world, of course there will be fighting but quite frankly survival would be WAY more important to people in such a world than risking the possibility of losing their hard won belongings.

Look at this from the perspective of a real person in such an environment, and you will see his core vision. too many are looking at this from the perspective of MMORPG players looking for that next game to soothe their bordom jones.

I think perhaps some are looking at this all sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mactavendish View Post
    Possibly so, Fabric...

But it also seems pretty obvious that his vision was to make a great sandbox crafting and building game with a pvp element. Combat never has been his primary focus.

Granted combat is a part of almost all MMO's. But not ALL.

That's partly why I made this thread. You see, it's the players that have come here with the impression that this game is focused on pvp that cause my concern. Show me where the developer(s) have ever said that pvp was their focus. I have looked high and low and .. nope... not found that statement anywhere.

Wishing something is true does not make it true. This game was always focused on sandbox style crafting and building with a few unique aspects like terraforming... with a small bit of pvp added in because of the simulated environment. Namely, humans in a post-apocalyptic world, of course there will be fighting but quite frankly survival would be WAY more important to people in such a world than risking the possibility of losing their hard won belongings.

Look at this from the perspective of a real person in such an environment, and you will see his core vision. too many are looking at this from the perspective of MMORPG players looking for that next game to soothe their bordom jones.

I think perhaps some are looking at this all sideways.
    I agree.

My reply is somewhat derailing to that point.

It is amazing there are two factors here.

1. will the game as envision even ever happen
    2. who in their right might thinks this game is going to be combat focused in the first place even if everything he says goes well without fail.

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...-and-Decisions

aslong as this system he describes comes into the game as its stated in the 1st post of the thread i will happily sit back quietly till launch and watch all the pvpers who want to "pillage and destroy" live with their choices of how they are going to play this game because eventually you know the good alligned tribes like the one i belong to will set up a "police force" of some sort that spends time hunting down evil players and killing them for their descisions

Quote Originally Posted by Vicid View Post
    preorder weapons make crafting worthless
    unarmed combat that is quicker and does the same damage makes ANY weapon useless.

Quote Originally Posted by coca View Post
    unarmed combat that is quicker and does the same damage makes ANY weapon useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuyito View Post
    You know, reading all the posts on the Xsyon forums makes me thing of SWG. I have read no better summary of why SWG failed than one provided by Henry Jenkins back in 2006. It is a little dated but I think it has some relevance to what's going on in Xsyon at the moment:

http://www.henryjenkins.org/2006/07/...star_wars.html

Sorry, couldn't get the link to work
    Great article Yuyito, you would think with the current gaming population aging into their mid 30's the gaming companies would be trying to keep our business, this goes for console, PC gaming not just MMO's, sadly they are moving in excately the opposite direction with barely a thought for the older crowds. Which is why I plan on spending less and less money every year on gaming until the industry starts to get their act together.

A combination of games that are far to expensive, far to short, high on graphics low on quality/content, mostly broken on release and finally all games now have coop, MP on single players games that don't even need it, so instead of making a good single player game they make a crappy version of it with MP and coop. It's a very sad trend for a lot of us.