Workshops/Mills ie. Buildings with a USE!

OK, this seems so simple to implement and makes complete sense to me. Let us build workshops or mills where we can bring raw materials to them and produce desired items!

For example, bring scrap metal, place it in the bin at the Nail Workshop and it will produce X number of nails per scrap metal. Bring scrap metal to the rivet workshop, and do the same thing. Have a mill that will accept raw cloth scraps and it will mix them together and produce a single type of cloth fabric (this will eliminate having 20 stacks of different cloth). Etc. etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunt View Post
    OK, this seems so simple to implement and makes complete sense to me. Let us build workshops or mills where we can bring raw materials to them and produce desired items!

For example, bring scrap metal, place it in the bin at the Nail Workshop and it will produce X number of nails per scrap metal. Bring scrap metal to the rivet workshop, and do the same thing. Have a mill that will accept raw cloth scraps and it will mix them together and produce a single type of cloth fabric (this will eliminate having 20 stacks of different cloth). Etc. etc. etc.
    It's a good idea, but I think this is a real super high-end concept that might be appropriate a year or two down the road. At the start, I think the designer's intention is for us to be living in hunter-gatherer villages with makeshift buildings, using premodern technology. Introducing powered machinery is pretty "op," to use the leet term.

Human-powered technology-based buildings might be OK, then. As a real-world note, paper used to be made from leftover scraps of cloth. Perhaps two new small structures: a "vat" to soak the paper scraps in, then a "paper press" to press the resulting slurry into a sheet of paper. then maybe a drying rack. Now all we need is a use for paper. Perhaps tribe / village laws?

By the way, shouldn't this kind of thing be in the Suggestions forum

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    It's a good idea, but I think this is a real super high-end concept that might be appropriate a year or two down the road. At the start, I think the designer's intention is for us to be living in hunter-gatherer villages with makeshift buildings, using premodern technology. Introducing powered machinery is pretty "op," to use the leet term.

Human-powered technology-based buildings might be OK, then. As a real-world note, paper used to be made from leftover scraps of cloth. Perhaps two new small structures: a "vat" to soak the paper scraps in, then a "paper press" to press the resulting slurry into a sheet of paper. then maybe a drying rack. Now all we need is a use for paper. Perhaps tribe / village laws?

By the way, shouldn't this kind of thing be in the Suggestions forum
    Neat, I like this, and the thought of building up to more advanced processes slowly. Would also like to add to the pool of possible useful buildings: The water-powered mill for grinding grain to make bread.

I 1000% support this idea. I have always been left a little cold by the fact that the current building system is essentially a fancy set of lego's. You can build stuff to look at, but it doesn't really have any purpose.

OK so on the assumption that this thread will be moved to the Suggestions forum, here are some other ideas. Let's go a little crazy here with some down-the-road items.

Windmill/Watermill. Power source for machinery. Windmill must be built on top of a hill, watermill must be next to a flowing river. Powered machinery will "power up" the mills below, on a 1:1 basis. Mill must be adjacent to said power source.

Spinning jenny: converts the following:

thread --> string
    string --> twine
    twine --> cloth

Trip hammer:

rocks --> bricks

sawmill

long logs --> long boards
    short logs --> short boards

Et cetera. To keep this from being overpowered, it would have to be slow, much slower than if a person just did it all by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunt View Post

I like this idea, perhaps make it 'cost' 2 units of metal x for the metal the stations produces, that way people could decide if they want to labor to have more metal overall or speed for metal they want. I would like to see something similar for scavenging skills. I savanged from 25-43 and only got two metal buckles!

Good suggestions Haunt. This will also make it a hell of a lot easier on the server/database lag because your removing personal inventory (mass delete items from the database) freeing up server database memory.

I am all for doing something to make the fabric easier to work with.....I feel like DuPont Stain Master carpet or something trying to sort and organize all the cloth types in this game....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Et cetera. To keep this from being overpowered, it would have to be slow, much slower than if a person just did it all by hand.
    If the machines didn't offer an advantage, then what is the point in having them? My vote would be that they should process materials at the same speed as a person doing it by hand, but the processing would be done in bulk without supervision. For example, drop 20 logs in the sawmill hopper & come back 15 minutes later to a load of long boards, etc. Mankind developed machines to help them work smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
    I am all for doing something to make the fabric easier to work with.....I feel like DuPont Stain Master carpet or something trying to sort and organize all the cloth types in this game....lol
    I'm not sure how far along this is in development, but Jordi did say he was considering the addition of a "patchwork cloth" recipe that would allow you to take various bolts of cloth & combine them into one usable format. My guess is it will always be slightly lower quality than "pure cloth" but would be much easier to use. Again, I don't have details other than a comment from him saying he liked the idea & was considering it.