Picking a spot....

So tribes and homesteads alike are talking about the crowd around the junk piles. The size of the map vs population and lack of land. Here is my take....

There are things that can be done to not force a tribe or homestead to be near a junk pile. This would cause more tribes and new players to be able to get away from the lake some, to spread out and make homes elsewhere. The land is big enough! Go look for a place outside the box!

Here is my recommendation; make the nature skills require less "junk" for example... redo the crafting slightly. A bear bone armor set requires screws and allot of them... why? In the past they did not build heavy armors with screws why are we?

Why does grass armor require junk? The tribes in RL before us didn't have to use junk to make theirs.

Why does leather armor require junk? Early settlers to the western United States didn't use junk in their stuff.

Why do wooden walls require nails? In the past, they would cross notch walls to make them stand up and use nothing other then the wood itself, and some mud paste to fill in the gaps to seal up the walls.

Why can we not make mud paste for our rock walls from dirt and water? Why do we have to have sand? So a rock wall could be limestone rock + mud paste = rough rock wall.

If the crafting / trade skill didn't require so much junk, then I can see the tribes and homesteads finding the super nice little niche areas around the map to settle down in. Instead of everyone crowding around the junk in every corner.

Just a thought .....

Good point - for that matter stuff like rock fences were built by just stacking up rocks, not real useful for keeping stuff out but good for keeping stuff in.

Screws in bone armor has never made sense to me, especially for something worn as armor - leather strapping holding the whole thing together makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvie View Post
    Screws in bone armor has never made sense to me, especially for something worn as armor - leather strapping holding the whole thing together makes more sense.
    You have clearly never made a suit out of human bones.

Quote Originally Posted by r4NGe View Post
    You have clearly never made a suit out of human bones.
    Yes to everything tredo said, as soon as the issues that are stopping the game from going forward are fixed, anyway.

And someone call the FBI or the international equivalent about r4NGe's armor crafting hobby.

The point of the game is we had evolved from all of that. Then Apoc has happened every thing destroyed. Doesn't mean we forgot all walks of life. The people in past didn't use junk piles cause they didn't exsist. But do to the fact we are 1000's of years ahead of them and our world was destroyed we have junk piles left over allowing us to get alot of stuff from junk piles.

If you follow the story line it all fits junk piles and so forth. When developing a game you can't always get every single detail in but you can work on it as time goes by. For right now tho the junk piles fit the story line jooky has made.

tbh what i'm doing is living one place here in prelude and then i scouting for other places so i can find an other place to live. but really we need more scra pils random places in the world or something

From what I can see from the recipes I know only Woodworking and Masonry can be advanced without access to a junk pile. I'm not counting tools, I think it's good that we need to trade for tools. (Yes, I know, some tribes will exploit and reroll characters to get access to almost all tools right from the start). Basketry (my profession) can be reasonably advanced without a junkpile because only small amounts of junk are required. I see no problem with those crafts.

All other professions, including Leatherworking and Bonearmour however, require large amounts of junk to make anything and to advance the craft. I'd argue that's okay for Toolcraft and Weaponcraft, but I think Leathercraft, Bonearmour and Architecture should have a number of pre-level 25 useful recipes that can be made without needing large amounts of stuff from a junkpile.

Thus it's either reworking the low-level recipes in Leathercraft, Bonearmour and Architecture or putting some small junkpiles into the mountains and woods. Both of these methods would cause that the huge parts of the map currently unsettled because of lack of resources get more attractive for solo-ers and small tribes that want to settle away from the current junkpiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkonick View Post
    The point of the game is we had evolved from all of that. Then Apoc has happened every thing destroyed. Doesn't mean we forgot all walks of life. The people in past didn't use junk piles cause they didn't exsist. But do to the fact we are 1000's of years ahead of them and our world was destroyed we have junk piles left over allowing us to get alot of stuff from junk piles.

If you follow the story line it all fits junk piles and so forth. When developing a game you can't always get every single detail in but you can work on it as time goes by. For right now tho the junk piles fit the story line jooky has made.
    Very understandable and I agree, however, just because we know better now then we did 1000's of years ago, you can still find tribes in Africa that still do it the way it was done 1000's of years ago. We should be able to choose which way to make our crafts.. this would of course dictate the durability and appearance. I know it is allot to ask, but forcing everyone to settle around the junk piles is going to lead to a shortage of junk sooner then the next update with new content will be ready I am afraid. This will lead to another lull in the game, chaos will settle in, and the world will set itself in ruins again.