Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvadore View Post
    Wouldn't the guy standing on the wall of the city be able to just merely take the log?

*Of course, if they were online...

Im all about crafted siege equipment...like ladders, bullwarks, trebuchets, battering rams, siege carts, siege towers, etc. THATS depth!!!
    Yes, but you can run up them pretty fast during the pick up animation. Unless they didn't make the inner side of the wall sloped so they could get up there in time hehe. Just saying that 3 dirts high isn't too high really. The really high walls will definitely need some awesome siege gear.

factor in not just walls, but placement...my city placement for live would be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT if i needed to make it seige proof. I have found some awesome spots...sheer walls on 3 sides sheer drop from a waterfall going out with only a small path going down...helms deep type stuff. The ability to terraform adds a completely different dimmension to seiging (again, assuming we get things like seige equipment and ranged weapons....defense in depth, maze like entrances to confuse breachers...possibilities to do some really really cool stuff..

but, of course, it's all just unproven window decoration if we don't get the mechanics to break things.

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post
    I don't think you'll find many of us who mind that the early months of the game are limited in asset destruction, I mean we like competitive PVP, we don't want it to be easy to waltz to a city and drop it in 10 minutes (generally speaking, there are some exceptions). That being said, what we do want for example, is to be able to at least raid a city, let those owners make it their safehold, don't just cheapen it by having a game mechanic do the rightfully tough work for you. From having built cities before, it's a good feeling to make it a strong, defensively sound city! I think the anti-pvp crowd is unfortunately not considering this aspect of the world building enough. Take pride in your cities!
    Well, thats the problem. As i see it, game doesnt really start in prelude, but players are tasked to build "NPC" part of game in prelude.

Actual game will start after prelude. Just instead people logging in in NPC town/area, they will spawn in player built area. Theres nothing anti-pvp about it, just that actual game you (and i guess most of the players) want to play wont start till after prelude, when you will have to build fortresses outside of current area and thats where majority of fighting/sieging happen. *shrug* thats what i concluded from limited available info, as current area is supposed to be ~10% of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Well, thats the problem. As i see it, game doesnt really start in prelude, but players are tasked to build "NPC" part of game in prelude.

Actual game will start after prelude. Just instead people logging in in NPC town/area, they will spawn in player built area. Theres nothing anti-pvp about it, just that actual game you (and i guess most of the players) want to play wont start till after prelude, when you will have to build fortresses outside of current area and thats where majority of fighting/sieging happen. *shrug* thats what i concluded from limited available info, as current area is supposed to be ~10% of the map.
    i know you have a lot more experience with the game, dev's, their vision and all that, but i'm not sure how you could be right.
    - T v T mechanics are currently not in game.
    - many pvp mechanics are not in game.
    - post prelude is supposed to focus on some higher level of pvp / tvt
    - how do you test these features if you don't do it in prelude?

i would hope that prelude 'seiging' would be just a little more limited...a 'points' reward or something...breach the city, hold the totem for 20 mins, everything is then lootable for the next 15 mins, 1 hour transtion phase (parties over), and then back to normal, so th edefender can repair any damages etc.

if you dont have the seige elements in prelude, we'll be flying blind when we head into that mythical post prelude window (of course first we actually have to get the game launched).

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    i know you have a lot more experience with the game, dev's, their vision and all that, but i'm not sure how you could be right.
    - T v T mechanics are currently not in game.
    - many pvp mechanics are not in game.
    - post prelude is supposed to focus on some higher level of pvp / tvt
    - how do you test these features if you don't do it in prelude?

i would hope that prelude 'seiging' would be just a little more limited...a 'points' reward or something...breach the city, hold the totem for 20 mins, everything is then lootable for the next 15 mins, 1 hour transtion phase (parties over), and then back to normal, so th edefender can repair any damages etc.

if you dont have the seige elements in prelude, we'll be flying blind when we head into that mythical post prelude window (of course first we actually have to get the game launched).
    You have same info as everyone else. Info that clearly says tribe wars/territorial control is scheduled for after prelude. Even for second update after prelude (someone posted some dev reply, but not the source so its unreliable). Will "testing" of systems be available in limited form before prelude is over is anyones guess. Its not "mythical post prelude window" its what and when they plan to add stuff.

"What is Prelude?
    Prelude is the first chapter of Xsyon. It is a time of discovery, building, and exploration and will continue through summer as the game evolves to include more content and features."

• When will we be able to raid other tribes? And what systems are you planning for that?

Not for a while. This was planned for after the Prelude, which will last at least 6 months. When a raiding system is implemented I will first look at what other games do and what systems have had success.

Also, will we be able to participate in wars soon? What are the conquest victory conditions? Can we take more then one territory now?
    As with raiding tribes, this won't happen for a while. The first implementation will allow for players to claim and fight over additional territories, but not their main tribal zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvadore View Post
    Addressing Shadowbane 2.0 - NO PLEASE DONT!!! Please get that out of the community right now!!! I would say the majority of the sb guys agree to that. Shadowbane had a plethora of character builds/types and multitudes of designs per build/type. The scope of this game is nowhere near that, nor does anyone want it to be. However, the sieging possibilities are amazingly similar. Still, none of us want it to be EXACTLY the same, however, possibly take the good parts? We are all here for Xsyon, even if we have different hopes for it!

Addressing Sieging - Pretty much Proto's post. However, in the latter half of sb, you didnt just walk up to a city and start sieging it. The prep for it took a couple months with everything included. The logistics, planning, resources, and strategies were more complex than most small countries do involving their own nation's military exercises! NOT kidding. Even with all of the aforementioned, it did not guarantee an automatic "win" for the aggressor. The majority were won by the defensive side. Some tribes would war for months as much as possible and NEVER EVER take a city from each other. This was due to balance...a specific thing that many (myself included) are pressing for involving the issue.

In a siege based system, the crafter or dubbed "carebear" is KING. They always have the people like me supplying them with WHATEVER they want and as much as they want. THEY decide the layout of the cities. THEY decide how to attack another city due to their experience with city building. THEY provide everything the pvp'er needs, thus is the pvp'ers number 1 dude. Who gets protected...yup, the KING crafter.

If you are a crafter and dont have a few guys like me planning to supply you...im tellin ya...YER DOING IT WRONG!!!
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    factor in not just walls, but placement...my city placement for live would be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT if i needed to make it seige proof. I have found some awesome spots...sheer walls on 3 sides sheer drop from a waterfall going out with only a small path going down...helms deep type stuff. The ability to terraform adds a completely different dimmension to seiging (again, assuming we get things like seige equipment and ranged weapons....defense in depth, maze like entrances to confuse breachers...possibilities to do some really really cool stuff..

but, of course, it's all just unproven window decoration if we don't get the mechanics to break things.
    IMO...

It would not be wise to even consider building a non-siege proof city regardless of its current usefulness. The "why build a wall?" question should be followed by the answer "just in case" at the very least.

But I agree with Doc. After reading a lot of the forums and the interviews and the features, I told myself that Prelude seemed to basically be making the world for when the game will truly begins. I think an interview actually pointed towards that.The only tools we have available right now are the tools that can create the physical presence of the world. Not the complete mental/emotional or spiritual one.

Why does there need to be an end-game? Stop thinking in terms of theme park games. In a game like Xsyon, you can reinvent yourself as you see fit and have whatever adventures you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mindtrigger View Post
    Why does there need to be an end-game? Stop thinking in terms of theme park games. In a game like Xsyon, you can reinvent yourself as you see fit and have whatever adventures you want.
    And mindtrigger smacks the thread for 2000 dmg, forcing it to return to the original topic.

+1