Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think Age of Shadows expansion imo was the start of the downfall for UO. I played a Red on UO for a long time, and when Trammel came - I had a second character that was blue. Didn't phase me a bit... I loved the game for a long time, but switched to WoW because I needed updated graphics to stare at, and the "3D" graphics on UO were terrible. Wish they had come out with UO2. =(

WoW is still doing it for me. I still play it and have played it since Beta. I got a bit bored with the pull and AoE in WOTLK, but love the dungeons in Cata... Not a huge PvP fan in WOW. As it had the same problem that was added in Age of Shadows in UO - Too much reliance on gear. I remember people PvPing in cloth gear or practically naked in UO.

Played tons of others. Of course SWG - pre-NGE, tons of fun to be had there.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
    Darkfall - loved this game.....but the dumb ass developers not implementing a skill cap killed it....I mean killed it....the first 2 months were awesome....then the macro walls started....then macroing the magic schools started....then if you did not macro...you could not keep up....literally....that became the content.....skill based became macro based....and it turned into the emptiest sandbox ever....
    Yep, I feel the exact same way. And I completely blame the devs. They listened to the QQers who were crying about "I want to be able to access all the spell schools..waaah" and well it happened, when the game was balanced originally for just 2. Hence, magic got imbalanced, but no one knew it at the beginning cause it was a major grind to do it. The devs didn't put in a skill cap and thought, meh no one will grind up all those magic schools so the cycling of AOE spells between diff school + being able to heal won't be a problem...boy were they wrong. But when it started to happen it was too late, since so many people were doing it and had multiple magic school grinded up and the devs didn't want to piss them off.

And yeah the macro-ing. That's all you basically did to keep somewhat competitive. If you didn't macro you were going to be a complete noob with no chance. That, the major bugs at the beginning of exploiting mobs and stats (hello, acid pool), and no local banking. Otherwise, this game would (still could) be epic.

This is what I fear about Xsyon. That a lot of QQers (not the carebears, but the PvPers!) will do what they did to Darkfall and have the devs cave in and ruin the game. Then these guys are like "meh, this game sucks" and move on to ruin another one...ad infinitum ad nausum.

Seems I had quite the different path to a lot of folks here

UO: I didn't really 'quit' this game, I just got busy with other stuff and then realized it had been more than a month since I had played and so I let my account expire. Still the best gathering and exploring game I have ever played, very good crafting as well

SWG: I absolutely loved this game when it came out. This is the game that cemented me as a builder/crafter. I remember spending HOURS hunting the right DNA for my wookie bio-eng/creature handler. Hell I even went into Bio-eng as a rl profession. In the end I only quit because of the combat changes and because everyone I knew had moved onto this new game WoW that had just come out.

Knight Online: During the dirt poor uni years I tried a lot of the f2p market at the time. This one was the first and stood out from the rest. Combat was fluid and quick, skill mattered a little more it wasn't all gear and level. Unfortunately once you get into it you realize it's not a PvP game. It's a wallet vs wallet game. Never looked back

Silk Road/Perfect World: Both of which I would describe as your typical grind whoreware games. Not even as good PvP as knight online had. Silk road stood out though as having the best weapon/armor stat and abilities I have ever seen in a game outside of SWG. Every weapon had several stats (durability, max damage, min damage, speed etc) and then each weapon you 'looted' was randomly generated. A level 10 sword did say 10-20 damage... and the random generator would then change those states so you had a sword that was 10+50%- 20+76% or 15-35 damage. EVERYTHING was like this to no two weapons/armor were the same. It kinda felt like SWG again without the crafting. Perfect world isn't even worth mentioning anything about... i wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Rappelz: Awesome pet system. Whoreware game. Left because it was nothing but grinding and after the novelty of the pet system wears off there isn't much else. PvP was nothing but gear/pet related which in turn was nothing but wallet vs wallet

LOTRO: Quite because it went f2p after having 2 chars to 65 and 3 more to 50. Spent many hours in the moors with my LM getting stalked by tikibongo and the rest of the wargs and driving maggot insane with semi-constant stuns. I would have quit fairly soon even if it hadn't gone f2p though, it was starting to wear thin... Once you hit end game it's nothing but raid raid raid and to be honest the PvP is rather lackluster. As well crafting was a joke when compared to UO or SWG

Fantasy Earth Zero: Best PvP game I have ever played, also first f2p game that wasn't wallet vs wallet and player skill accounted for 80% of the game.... as opposed to UO or say LOTRO where player gear accounts for 80% of all fights. Only left because it was cancelled.

I guess you could say the over-arching theme here is that games failed for me if player skill was a minor part of the equation as compared to gear/real money spent. And content forcing me to do one thing at any point in the game.

umm MMOs that have failed...

AC2 - was ok for a bit, not enough people played publishers closed the game off..

Earth and Beyond - Was pretty devent actually btu publishers closed the game off

Auto Assault - Nothnig special i guess was ok for car combat but thats it.. publishers closed the game off...

Tabula Rising - Very boring not what it was promised to be.. publishers clsoed the game off

APB - Not a bad game, some really good dieas.. Crappy UK gov refused tax brakes for game companies so company went under servers closed... Will be back soo tho..

Basically the MMORPG market place is very harsh and generally MMORPGs cost a shit load of money and investmant to make and if they dont do well within the first few months they usually get closed down..

Most of the MMOs you guys have mentiond have not failed and are still going in some form or antother... some have got so old its pointless keeping them running as people move onto other thing..

Now if its a list of MMORPGs that I have played and stopped playing because i got bored or jsut did not enjoy then here we go.

EQ - Played way too much off this was great fun at the time but its now very outdated.

EQ2 - Played for about a year really but in the end my RL mates stopepd playing it and it was never the same after that.

WOW - Managed a few months in this with the US release.. buggy and laggy as hell so quit.. tried a few years later on the EU servers and it was jsut way to boring for me to stick with it.

SWG - The most fun ive ever had in an MMORPG so many of my mates played it all the way upto yup combat upgrade/NGE crap.

Ahh ill stop now lsit could go on forever...

I am currently playing Darkfall and love the direction the devs are gonig with it, hell the EU server is so busy at the moment there is just constant PVP around our alliance cites.. i mean non stop stuff.. The other night we had a 7 hours of defending our city from different clans throughout the night... sometimes we would hold them outside the walls.. other times they would rush us, or we would rush them.. sometimes more than one alliance would attack at the same time they would end us fighting ooutside our walls and thne we would jump into it as well.. anyway Darkfall is an awesome game and is just gonna keep getting better now the devs are actually listening to people.

I am also of course testing this and loving it when the lag aint around its a bit slower pace than darkfall and its nice to relax from the constant pvp now and then

Did anyone else have friends that basically lost their "lives" due to Ultima online?

Watched one friend lose his car, fail out of college, and even forget to eat sometimes for an entire day. He moved into my place and lived in the computer room. Id talk to him, he wouldnt acknowledge anyone...until about 30 seconds later. Thats how long it took him to realize you were there. He would literally play for 23 hours straight, take an hour nap when server went down and set an alarm, then play again till he passed out. He was half Korean...maybe that had something to do with it?

Another friend called me (while im at work) and said "call EVERYONE! they got into my house and took everything! Stole every f**** thing! I chased them and couldnt catch them...then a few more showed up and chased me but I got away. Now im trapped. I need help! Call everyone now now now now!"

Me - JESUS CHRIST why are you calling me and not the cops?!?!?

Him - WTF no you dumbass, in Ultima...

Me - click.

I hated that game but loooooved it so much!

Happened to me when I was younger, I dropped out of high school, although there were other reasons behind it too. Ended up sitting in my mom's apartment day in day out playing Asheron's Call. I was one of the highest characters on the main server and was pretty much all in the game. My hair grew uncontrollably long and I was one of the few guys in the neighborhood with the freakishly weird emo look.

Ironically, that game taught me how to persist and not give up no matter what, so the year after I studied extremely hard, got into the best prep school in the city and went to the best university in the country, so it did kind of go well for me. it did however make me really stubborn too...

Not sure how I managed to turn this into a positive experience, but I definitely still play too much and luckily, my wife stopped caring. Although nowadays, I have to make compromises with her if I want to purchase a game or spend money on an online subscription.
    Like with the last purchase, I had to promise I'm going to let her shop till she drops for a week, luckily she didn't buy that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrik View Post
    Darkfall - Played the trial. I enjoyed it until I realized there is nothing to do. Then I died from a monster and had to wait 3 minutes to respawn. WTF?
    Learn 2 press space? If u realized u had nothing to do then there are 2 things wrong with you, first u dont get the point of a Sandbox game, clearly, and that makes xsyon a bad game for you, and second, if you only played the trial u cant even speak, because u did nothing compared to the game itself

Beginning: -

Myth of soma- 2002 - Grind was crazy, but i didn't mind. Multi's made it harder on the average honest gamer but weren't enough to kill the game. Persistance and determination are the key to catching up with high levels, that and starting at the same time. Theres was much to do and hunt along with great wars n a great community, which brings me to my final point; never really got bored of this game. Instead left for a while to play things like SB n SWG. Returned when they released devil world expansion then left that to play EQ2.

Shadowbane - another great n unique game. Grind was quite effortless and mainly alot of fun, what with the great group hunts. Had good guild content and great wars. And the community was great. Eventually left to play SWG as it did start to become boring when you get to the top level of 75-80 and everything just starts getting repetitive.

Star Wars Galaxies - Good game with some new features. the traveling was a bit much, and didnt make it to NGE (whatever that is, lol) and stopped playing before jedis came in (assuming that might be what NGE was). didn't really like the combat in it as it looked like watching super-short movie clips on repeat, personally like it to be much more interactive even if it is just hack n slash. Apart from that the quests were good and the trading (with NPCs and players) even the grinding was fun. Eventually left to go back to MoS mainly because of the boring combat system.

EverQuest 2 - the game had good quest/quest story but i couldn't find much else to do other than quests, the community was ok, and there was alot of PvE, didn't really get far in enough to get to the PvP (if any, left in about 2-3 months). Didn't really like the combat although it weren't tooooo bad. Found it to become quite repetitive aswell, though I dont remember much about it.

9Dragons 2Moons Perfect world - the next stage of gaming for me after a break from the mmo world was f2p games, 9D 2M n PW were ok for a while got bored with them quickly though as they were REALLY repetitive n with PW the game shop people would always be better off obviously.

since then i've been waiting for something new and dynamic to put a dent in the recent unchanging pattern/state the mmo industry has been left in since eq2. xsyon might just do that.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post

Mortal Online - #1 waste of money on a mmorpg I have ever spent...this game was a complete joke and nothing more than a modded unreal engine, ran by a rich ass kid, who wanted to be an l337 programmer by day....and a techno DJ by night.....100 dollar special edition pre-orders on a game that was literally unplayable...in my opinion he pulled off one of the largest scams this decade has seen in the mmorpg realm...lol
    techno dj at night?

EQ Online Adventures for the PS2 the gateway drug, only played for 2 weeks.

Star Wars Galaxies played it when it came out, and then for 5 years after that. Nothing comes close to this for me, even after the CU and NGE it was still good enough but nothing was better than the pre-cu times. Had 5 accounts I even played the pre-cu emulator for a while.

Lord of the Rings Online played the pre-release of it and then up until right before mines of moria came out. Then I went to Iraq and everyone I played with had moved to different games.

World Of Warcraft never thought I would play it but I played for about 4 months then quit. Then another 5 months then quit again.

DC Universe Online played for a month and didnt renew after the free month. Not enough end game content and not enough people I knew playing it.

Rift bought it a week ago and it's on hold right now, still a good game though.

Other MMOs I have played but not for extended amounts of time: EQII, Aion, Global Agenda, and Final Fantasy XI. I'm sure theres more I'm forgetting.