Whats YOUR history with MMO's and YOUR opinion as to why they failed?

Ill start briefly:

Ultima Online - Introduction of Trammel...downhill from there.

Age of Conan - Promise of many items implemented in game on release day, however, some of us got well past their desired "quota" and found NONE of it had been implemented yet. Specifically - sieging. When returned to game a year later - The apex of the game (sieging again) was absolutely boring and not put in properly. That is IF you could get past the lvl 80 grind to get there.

Darkfall - Did not listen to community. Absolutely the worst release ive ever seen. Released an NA server, but you have to PAY to migrate AND start all over? wtf. I also spent more time macroing than playing. To me, thats not "playing" a game.

Shadowbane - Did not fail in my opinion. It lasted through all the other games and horrible ownership transitions. Even after its death, the community has stuck together for over 2 years attempting to emulate the project. I cannot log in today, thus it is dead.

Etc etc...lets discuss what you liked/disliked with all mmo's, great ideas that failed, and weather you are pvp/crafter type.