Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Random recipes need to go

Well, I've spent a couple hours on a junk pile now, making the same tools over and over again only to throw them away. Fun, this is not. It isn't realistic, immersive or challening, either. It's just utter oldschool grind.

What's worst about that is that the game gives me no control over recipes. My only option is to continue grinding until i win in the lottery and my character suddenly remembers the ancient art of crafting a fishing rod...

It should be possible to choose recipes or at least get them in a predefined order that makes some sense.

oops.. meant to post this in "Tweaks and Suggestions".

You could always try a bit of social interaction and trade with other players....

Quote Originally Posted by maelwydd View Post
    You could always try a bit of social interaction and trade with other players....
    This.

It's not supposed to be easy. You may have gone at it in the wrong way. There isn't a grind if you are playing the game and using your brains. One man shows here won't cut it. The game is built to where you actually have to figure things out. Don't work harder, work smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by StarvingSteve View Post
    Well, I've spent a couple hours on a junk pile now, making the same tools over and over again only to throw them away. Fun, this is not. It isn't realistic, immersive or challening, either. It's just utter oldschool grind.

What's worst about that is that the game gives me no control over recipes. My only option is to continue grinding until i win in the lottery and my character suddenly remembers the ancient art of crafting a fishing rod...

It should be possible to choose recipes or at least get them in a predefined order that makes some sense.
    I agree, i really do its not realistic to gain recipes just like that from standing on a junkpile doing metal stakes.
    I'd rather have to be a reverse engineer system, you'd have to find a fishing rod reverse engineer it and then you can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangei View Post
    I agree, i really do its not realistic to gain recipes just like that from standing on a junkpile doing metal stakes.
    I'd rather have to be a reverse engineer system, you'd have to find a fishing rod reverse engineer it and then you can make it.
    Where do you get the fishing rod from in ther first place? If it is another player then....why not just trade with them as I have already suggested which is already available to you. The game is not going to spoonfeed you.

That's missing the point. Being in a tribe doesn't change the fact that progression is random and unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by China View Post
    The game is built to where you actually have to figure things out. Don't work harder, work smarter.
    What is there to "figure out" about this system? It seems to be entirely random. Trading isn't "working smart", it's the most basic thing. Limit the player's ability to plan ahead, and you limit a tribe's ability to plan ahead just the same.

Where do you get the fishing rod from in ther first place? If it is another player then....why not just trade with them as I have already suggested which is already available to you. The game is not going to spoonfeed you.
    F.e. you could get things like a fishing pole from a junkpile. That would be pretty random as well, but it's at least more realistic and immersive.

Also, most overused and misused terms that sandbox fans in general should stop throwing around at every opportunity:

Handholding, spoonfeeding, instant gratification, carebears.

That's missing the point. Being in a tribe doesn't change the fact that progression is random and unrealistic.
    I am not in a tribe. If I need something I ask around if anyone has it, asking what they want in trade. If no one has it I keep looking, making stuff as I go along, surviving, hoping to someday either have something to trade for the item or work out how it is made.

I think you may be missing the entire point of the game not just recipes.

What is there to "figure out" about this system? It seems to be entirely random. Trading isn't "working smart", it's the most basic thing. Limit the player's ability to plan ahead, and you limit a tribe's ability to plan ahead just the same.

F.e. you could get things like a fishing pole from a junkpile. That would be pretty random as well, but it's at least more realistic and immersive.

Also, most overused and misused terms that sandbox fans in general should stop throwing around at every opportunity:

Handholding, spoonfeeding, instant gratification, carebears.
    Who is to say you cannot find a fishing pole on a junkpile?

And I used the term spoonfed because that is exactly what you want.

You encounter a problem (can't find or make a fishing pole) and instead of the options already there (trade for it, find it on a junkpile, learn it by further crafting) you just want to get it right away (spoonfed).

There is a problem - Sometimes a recipe isn't available to you.
    There is a solution - Trade with others (as they are probably in the same situation), continue crafting till you get it or find it through scavaging.

Junkpile, and reverse engineer it? voila you got the recipe.. just makes more sense than randomly learning a recipe

I agree, there needs to be a rhyme and reason to how recipes are learned. For some reason I can strike a chunk of rock with a knife over and over and my mind gets so numb I enter a state of nirvana. Once deep enough into this trance, I'm given the knowledge on crafting a scavengers master chisel. If one can hold this trance long enough he becomes master of his profession and the secrets of every recipe becomes unlocked.