Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    "Warfare and conquest was not part of the original design though conflict over claimed resources and player combat was." - Xsyon

Oh yeah? A year ago you said that safe zones would be turned off in tribe areas after a "few months" of Prelude. Later, that turned into "6 months". Recently, it morphed into "6-9 months" (when Prelude ends). You even replied to me via PM to confirm that safety was being turned off after Prelude, and wouldn't be any type of switch. The Official FAQ in the Developer section states tribal/totem conquer, asset destruction at any time, and raids on other tribes. It seems some particular people got into your ear over the past year, though.

In saying that... I'm happy with 2 servers. I may even go grab Hopi's spot with the extra character, and charge them some grass to get it back. :P

Now, we just need to talk about siege mechanics, asset destruction, etc., etc...

Quote Originally Posted by mindtrigger View Post
    The argument against splitting the population into two different mindsets is that putting us all on one server and telling us to "survive" was much more interesting. Now it's like every other game out there with the two camps divided onto different servers. Xsyon is now playing the MMO game on the level of every other game out there, rather than having it's own unique claim to fame. Will it last? Will it remain interesting? I guess we will see.

Remember that this game doesn't have quests, instances or any theme park content. The players ARE the content, therefor having a more interesting and diverse player base on the server would have likely resulted in more interesting game play for all. That's what made me even consider spending $40 + $15/month on an indy game.
    Win.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    This split would have happened anyway, if not now then after Prelude.

What if after Prelude they announce that tribal warfare will be based on 'flagged for war' system ? PvP players who have spent 6-9 months hoping and waiting for an FFA system would rage and quit.

What if after Prelude they announce that tribal warfare will be FFA and big tribes can destroy everything they want ? All of the players who signed up for a game with protected housing, small tribes and most of the solo players would rage and quit.

Its much better to split up now, before the tribes settle down and this way PvP players don't have to wait 6-9 months to play the game in the way they wanted to.
    Well said. 100% agree.

And like a few of us have stated since weeks ago, now the game worlds will construct themselves accordingly. One group of players will build their sandbox for inintial "War", the others will build their sandbox for initial "Peace" (with possible wars later on).

We all have a focus, somewhat end game. Which a lot of people were asking for. And now it has been answered. Finally.

Does sound a bit like trying to make 2 different games instead of doing the viable but pherhaps more difficult thing of finding a balance between the two. A compromise between what the pvpers and crafters want. because both types of players need each other and shouldn't be separated.

I would much rather the 2nd server instead be an EU server, since there can be no PVP anyway for most EU players are high ping in a game like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    This split would have happened anyway, if not now then after Prelude.

What if after Prelude they announce that tribal warfare will be based on 'flagged for war' system ? PvP players who have spent 6-9 months hoping and waiting for an FFA system would rage and quit.

What if after Prelude they announce that tribal warfare will be FFA and big tribes can destroy everything they want ? All of the players who signed up for a game with protected housing, small tribes and most of the solo players would rage and quit.

Its much better to split up now, before the tribes settle down and this way PvP players don't have to wait 6-9 months to play the game in the way they wanted to.
    How is a gameplay split a foregone conclusion? EVE has never split, yet continues to grow and expand despite having a solid mix of every type of player you can think of on one single "server". Ask an EVE player what they like about it and after they tell you what they like doing they will tell you how interesting everyone is.

Even if additional servers are required due to having a high influx of players, and server technology that does not scale like EVE does, they could have made the servers all have the exact same rules. Even that would be better than fragmenting the different types of players, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
    Well said. 100% agree.

And like a few of us have stated since weeks ago, now the game worlds will construct themselves accordingly. One group of players will build their sandbox for inintial "War", the others will build their sandbox for initial "Peace" (with possible wars later on).

We all have a focus, somewhat end game. Which a lot of people were asking for. And now it has been answered. Finally.
    Sandboxes shouldn't have "endgame". They just evolve, expand, and continue. EVE has no endgame and is the most successful indy game of all. It also has one server for all the players.

I may be overlooking some things that were discussed, but I don't understand why we can't have the option to keep things as they were, just allow the tribe who want to flag themselves for pvp be able to do so earlier than the 6-9 month time frame? To me this options would seem to keep all in the same playing world and those who want to activate pvp early can. Those who want to remain peaceful for the 6-9 months can as well. Once Tribal Wars launches then all is fair game. Was this not the original game plan?

I have to agree very much so with mindtrigger. Although its much harder to balance and technology wise, eve is the best way to do things: 1 giant server for everyone and a ruleset that caters to all styles and keeps the population heathly and interesting. all you need is areas of higher risk and reward and safe areas separate (I dont play eve but I gather this is how it works, used to be simular in runescapes old wilderness). anyway makes for much better pvp gameplay when there is an area in the game you know is dangerous and you KNOW you will get pvp and if you win you will get sweet rewards. unlike darkfall which is a pvp almost everywhere but no real hotspots, and you spend hours looking for pvp and get little reward from it.

Eve got it right, but no other game can be arsed to even think about using anything from Eve since it has spaceships... Even the whole "high-sec/low-sec" stuff would work in with the lore here. Except instead of CONCORD you'd have "angels."

no one is saying anyone has to go to the war server either.