Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    The elephant in the room is the game can't handle the current population and expected on one server. How many players on a server can this game support?

Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    Thank you Orious. This is exactly my goal and I don't understand the commotion. ...
    Come on, Xsyon, that was pure understatement from you, eh?

I'm quite sure that you understand the commotion. We all know there are two types of PvPers. The first one wants to fight against other people that want to fight, to make the fight a measure of skill, strategy and tactic.

The second type of PvPer wants to fight against people that don't want to fight and obviously these players fear that the War server will offer them a less *coughs* victim-rich environment. Or, even worse, it will offer them an environment where players actually fight back.

I haven't counted, but how many posts on this thread are from members of one particular tribe?

The elephant in the room is the game can't handle the current population on one server. How many players on a server can this game support?
    This is not correct. The main issue is not number of players on the server. It's number of tribes and homesteads in the starting area.

However, I thought this would be a good opportunity to give the war gamers what they've been asking for as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rique View Post
    Yes, and it takes BOTH to support the server as a whole. That game would have died on the vine a long time ago if they split up their community like Xsyon is talking about. There are MANY MANY ways that have been talked about to solve the issue without the need for multi-servers...
    They'd have to do multi server one way or the other.. So why not take the opportunity to let the more war orientated types form a social world of warlords, and to let the peaceful types build a more diplomatic world?

Remember.. they have to split the pop either way.. the server doesnt have the capacity or space for everyone and still let new players join the game.

Quote Originally Posted by kaisergod View Post
    Im not trying to compare Indy devs or anything either, quite the opposite. EVE is about the only example of a truly succesful single shard MMO, Indy or otherwise. There have been a couple others that had some success, but EVE is by far the best.

In comparison, youve got tons of succesful multi-server MMOs (some Indy, some not), including the most succesful of all, WoW.

So my point was, how do people logically get to the conclusion that not being single server = doom?

I wasnt accusing you of not being able to handle the war or anything. I was just generalizing that those who dont want/cant handle the risk should stick to Peace server. Those of us who prefer risk & surprises will be on War.

Blizzard =/= Indy. We are talking about two things here. Sandbox MMO's that have a VASTLY smaller customer base than Themepark MMO's that cater to a MUCH larger audience. Multi-server Themeparks work... Persistent sandbox MMO's that are totally player driven, not so much.

Do people think pvp minded players can't craft? Lol.

The difference between the 2 servers is so minimal, I can't believe how much of you are crying over it.

This is not correct. The main issue is not number of players on the server. It's number of tribes and homesteads in the starting area.

However, I thought this would be a good opportunity to give the war gamers what they've been asking for as well.
    Simple solution for now would be to add more junk piles away from the starting areas...even takes some piles away from these starting areas if needed. Only reason they are so crowded is due to the tremendous amount of piles around.

It all comes down to BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

Too many peeps mean not enough bears to kill, not enough land for beets to grow, & therefore no chance of evolving to battlestar galactica.

This is not correct. The main issue is not number of players on the server. It's number of tribes and homestead in the starting area.
    Thanks for the correction but the result is the same. You need a mechanism for spreading the population or you won't be able to handle the load. You should contact someone who worked on shadowbane. Though the games have different focuses I think you'll find they have much to contribute on the dangers of allowing players too much freedom.

Also will players be able to tear down each others "projects?" If so I can tell you stories of all night wall parties.

Quote Originally Posted by baka77 View Post
    No, I'm not assuming most PvP players are only evil. There will certainly be some good aligned pvp tribes, but without a moral impetus "good" is just a label. Same goes for evil tribes.

The game needs carebear tribes on the same server as the evil tribes who will terrorize them so the good tribes have someone to actually protect. If there is no sense of protection or danger, the good tribes & evil tribes are just fighting each other for the sake of fighting. The lines get blurred. At that point, good & evil only become superficial labels & have no moral impact or meaning.

That was my point, though I probably could have been clearer about it.
    Ah, ok that make smuch more sense. Though unfortunately ive still got to disagree about some of the points.

As it stands now, yes the good & evil are basically just labels without meaning. But remember, the game is going to evolve based on the players. If a good aligned tribe becomes very powerful on the War server and gains enough influence to start steering the world towards their vision of society, then there will be plenty of reason for the 2 sides to fight, much like IRL.

There are those that are willing to fight for the sake of others & for the good of the people, while there are other who are only concerned with gaining power & glory for themselves. Thats going to be, IMO, the biggest difference between the 2 sides. Those who want to fight for good and build a society of lawful citizens all contributing to help eachother out and have fun learning advancing in relative peace. On the other side you will have those who simply want to rule by force for their own personal gain, even if it means tearing down civilization for everyone else, as long a stheir the richest/strongest thats all that matters..