Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

2. 03-04-2011, 02:23 PM

It seems three servers may be needed. Two PvE and one PvP. Or a population limit and a queue. I doubt it will be possible for players to roll on the PvE server on launch day, select a location, place a totem, log out, and then roll on the PvP server, because if it is possible, everyone will crowd first onto the PvE server and we'll all lag and crash again.

On a side note: It seems some members of the so-called PvP community are wimping out.

If the option to play on both servers will exist in the near future, I'll roll first on the PvP server and wait to roll a second character on the PvE server(s). I want to see if a solo player can build fortifications so intricate and so well-placed that a zerg can't overcome them, or at very least would have to spend so much time and effort in the invasion that it wouldn't be worthwhile to do so.

So I'll craft on the side for the PKer-killing Good tribes.

You evil tribes will have to bring your own crafters.

4. 03-04-2011, 02:24 PM

5. 03-04-2011, 02:25 PM

I'm sorry, but this decision sucks big time... no other way to put it. I see many problems with having two servers, some of which are:

1) The whole issue behind safezones was that there were no tribal warfare mechanics, meaning you could hold your land just by virtue of being there first. The end goal of the PvP crowd was never just to be able to gank people in their tribe areas, but to make sure that politics play a key role in the world.

2) With no tribe vs tribe mechanics the fundamental issue is still left unanswered on the War server! So what, you can gank people on their land once they've dropped a totem, maybe grief them until they leave, but you still can't deal with the totem itself.

3) The War server will full of naked people killing each other, with nothing getting built, because anyone who wants to be able to walk away from their computer for 10 seconds without being killed will play on Peace. I don't think that anyone was asking for absolutely no safe zones at all, just a more thought out ruleset, such as having safe zones only in constructed buildings.

Xsyon should have made it very clear that the game would still be in beta until the end of prelude. If the answer to all these problems is that these things will come after Prelude, then don't make me pay a monthly fee for six months while the game gets beta tested to a state where it somewhat resembles what it was advertising!

So in conclusion: Two servers will kill the game. Or at least until people realize the 'War' server is the poorly thought out reactionary piece of garbage that it is.

7. 03-04-2011, 02:26 PM

8. 03-04-2011, 02:27 PM

I just got home and wow what a news. I'm very happy with this decision, one server for the players who want tribal wars and conflict, and a Peace server with optional tribal wars and safe zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    I just got home and wow what a news. I'm very happy with this decision, one server for the players who want tribal wars and conflict, and a Peace server with optional tribal wars and safe zones.
    I bet you are.

Quote Originally Posted by cejay View Post
    Damn, I'm so getting that for my eldest child (and then not letting him play with it cos I will)
    You know you will have a huge dilemma...There will be two tracks you have to choose from to drive it on...Ones going to be chock full of racers, the other...Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldur View Post
    I'm sorry, but this decision sucks big time... no other way to put it. I see many problems with having two servers, some of which are:

1) The whole issue behind safezones was that there were no tribal warfare mechanics, meaning you could hold your land just by virtue of being there first. The end goal of the PvP crowd was never just to be able to gank people in their tribe areas, but to make sure that politics play a key role in the world.

2) With no tribe vs tribe mechanics the fundamental issue is still left unanswered on the War server! So what, you can gank people on their land once they've dropped a totem, maybe grief them until they leave, but you still can't deal with the totem itself.

3) The War server will full of naked people killing each other, with nothing getting built, because anyone who wants to be able to walk away from their computer for 10 seconds without being killed will play on Peace. I don't think that anyone was asking for absolutely no safe zones at all, just a more thought out ruleset, such as having safe zones only in constructed buildings.

Xsyon should have made it very clear that the game would still be in beta until the end of prelude. If the answer to all these problems is that these things will come after Prelude, then don't make me pay a monthly fee for six months while the game gets beta tested to a state where it somewhat resembles what it was advertising!

So in conclusion: Two servers will kill the game. Or at least until people realize the 'War' server is the poorly thought out reactionary piece of garbage that it is.
    I agree!!

It's interesting. The part that bothers me slightly is where the development of the two servers will progress separately with community building features being pushed first on Peace and tribal warfare features being pushed first on War. At least this is how the update reads.

From a player's point of view, we now have to be concerned about whether or not we will have enough population to sustain two servers and have them remain interesting. I don't like the idea of the servers having different features available. The subject of Prelude safe zones shouldn't have resulted in this big of a move by the devs, IMO. I don't know about you guys but I liked the element of danger by having a healthy mix of PvP tribes with other styles. I hope Peace doesn't turn into a boring server because all the PvP players go to the War server.

Will this decision result in two server versions for the devs to maintain? Strictly from a developer's point of view, this introduces a lot more complexity to the task of coding the game itself if they will have two different server versions to maintain, as well as bug tracking, testing and removal being doubled. This isn't very wise for a tiny development team.
    Thoughts?

Well guys, now Jad loves this new, um, change...I guess it's staying?

BTW is there any sort of real relationship IRL between Jad and any of the senior team? Not asking to be infmaitory, just asking....

(Sorry I realise this may be considered against the ToS but there about 30 of us thinking maybe :-))

This seems like quite the bandaid... reading all the posts it sounds like the biggest problem is there is no way to force someone else from an area because of 1: safe zones and 2: no way to get rid of the totem. Even if you get rid of the safezones #2 is still there. And the whole "need 2 servers due to population"... is that because the server cannot handle more people or because there are so many homestead totems forcing all the wildlife away.

Either way the fix revolves on a way to siege a totem and destroy it... not this split ruleset garbage.