Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    This whole thread makes me LOL. So much crying over absolutely nothing.

Have half of you even bothered to read his recent update:
    "- Both servers will start off the same.
    - Both will have PvP with consequences.
    - The Peace server is not a PvE server.
    - Safe zones will be removed during the prelude on the War server when towns can defend themselves. This is not a Chaos or griefer server, but a server for players that want tribal warfare and conquest. This will happen as soon as possible, possibly within a month or two.
    - The differences between servers will be slight. This will not require a lot of additional development, just a matter of settings and switches in the code.
    - Both servers will evolve with each player base. The plan is and will always be to evolve with what the player base wants.
    - The servers are an option. You can play on both if you like.

- Players that seek a world based on tribal warfare and conflict should choose the War server. That's the direction that server will evolve. Again, it will NOT be a Chaos free for all server. Players that want less danger and future consentual tribal PvP should choose the Peace server. The goal here is one of choices and balance."

There is absolutely nothing in there, or the original post which mentioned the 2 servers that says anything close to what many people are crying about. He said both servers will evolve based on what the COMMUNITY wants. Nowhere did he say War server will get all the PvP updates first and Peace server will get all the PvE updates first.

Both servers are IDENTICAL except for the safe zones during PRELUDE. After Prelude / once siege mechanics, etc are added safe zones will be removed from Peace server anyway. The ONLY difference from what he is saying is WHEN safezones will be removed. 6-9 months from now, when prelude ends and safezones are gone from both servers there will be almost no difference in the servers anyway. Peace is just for those who wish to start out under somewhat safer building/crafting conditions, War is for those who prefer to have no safety right from the start.

Hell if it makes everyone feel better, maybe he should just name them Easy Mode and Hard Mode servers for now. Peace (aka easy mode) allows you to build safely for a few months, War (aka hard mode) means you can get your ass handed to you at anytime, and hiding in your house wont save you (until defenses are put into the game at least).

Also, about the PvPers & PvErs/crafters/builders being on different servers.... only idiots would split themselve sthe way mos tof you are assuming they will. The PvPers need crafters/builders, so any crafters/builders who do go to War will be a very valuable asset to any tribe. A smart crafter/builder would actually go to War server with their tribe so that after prelude, theyve got the best PvPers on their side to protect them. At the same time, not everyone who loves to PvP ONLY loves unchecked PvP with no protection, many of us enjoy several aspects of the game not JUST the PvP, so im sure Peace will have plenty of PvPers there.

- Players that seek a world based on tribal warfare and conflict should choose the War server. That's the direction that server will evolve. Again, it will NOT be a Chaos free for all server. Players that want less danger and future consentual tribal PvP should choose the Peace server. The goal here is one of choices and balance.
    Which I understand to mean that the Peace server will never have non consensual tribal pvp ... EVER.

War server it is.

Quote Originally Posted by r4NGe View Post
    I know you don't understand and maybe never will, but you are being selfish. For your fragile peace of mind, the epic scope of this game, its life and profitability will suffer. There are a multitude of MMO lessons to draw from, that show this to be a monumental mistake. Wolves and sheep need each other, want each other, and dare I say, sometimes love each other (if you know what I mean).

Only the extreme will view this decision with glee.

There will be those, like you, whom will rejoice at the cool, clean drinks of water that they may sip safely at the river (BIRDS CHIRPING). The early evening trips in your best outfit to the campfire by the lake to tell scary stories of prelaunch will be most relaxing. You will gaze across your pointless fortifications and count again your 50 baskets of armor.

Then there will be the war server (THUNDER ROLLS). A place of despair... where the local chat wails in grieving of the lost General chat. A place where obese, naked savages dance on the lapping shores of the lake, using only their bound weapons.

I had hoped that the server would never split. The endless land beyond the mist will now roll back, only to be left barren. The servers populations will be grossly mismatched. The dream is in danger. If they split, at least use same ruleset!
    Rulset will be the same, but warfare will come sooner on war server. And they will stay the same, there might be small differences as both server rulesets will evolve with community.

For example it might be that peace will have non-conquerable main towns and war won't.

If they would split servers into just 1,2 they would probably evolve differently as well. This way at least we know initial directon.

Quote Originally Posted by kaisergod View Post
    This whole thread makes me LOL. So much crying over absolutely nothing.

Have half of you even bothered to read his recent update:
    "- Both servers will start off the same.
    - Both will have PvP with consequences.
    - The Peace server is not a PvE server.
    - Safe zones will be removed during the prelude on the War server when towns can defend themselves. This is not a Chaos or griefer server, but a server for players that want tribal warfare and conquest. This will happen as soon as possible, possibly within a month or two.
    - The differences between servers will be slight. This will not require a lot of additional development, just a matter of settings and switches in the code.
    - Both servers will evolve with each player base. The plan is and will always be to evolve with what the player base wants.
    - The servers are an option. You can play on both if you like.

- Players that seek a world based on tribal warfare and conflict should choose the War server. That's the direction that server will evolve. Again, it will NOT be a Chaos free for all server. Players that want less danger and future consentual tribal PvP should choose the Peace server. The goal here is one of choices and balance."

There is absolutely nothing in there, or the original post which mentioned the 2 servers that says anything close to what many people are crying about. He said both servers will evolve based on what the COMMUNITY wants. Nowhere did he say War server will get all the PvP updates first and Peace server will get all the PvE updates first.

Both servers are IDENTICAL except for the safe zones during PRELUDE. After Prelude / once siege mechanics, etc are added safe zones will be removed from Peace server anyway. The ONLY difference from what he is saying is WHEN safezones will be removed. 6-9 months from now, when prelude ends and safezones are gone from both servers there will be almost no difference in the servers anyway. Peace is just for those who wish to start out under somewhat safer building/crafting conditions, War is for those who prefer to have no safety right from the start.

Hell if it makes everyone feel better, maybe he should just name them Easy Mode and Hard Mode servers for now. Peace (aka easy mode) allows you to build safely for a few months, War (aka hard mode) means you can get your ass handed to you at anytime, and hiding in your house wont save you (until defenses are put into the game at least).
    No they won't start off "the same" by virtue of the PLAYER DYNAMIC changing. This changes the whole game, if not in coded mechanics, in the PLAYER variable. Try to remember that this game is heavily reliant on the players themselves for content and evolution. I'm a good example. I have no idea which server I should go to now, because for me it wasn't as simple as PvE vs PvP. I think for Xsyon to work as originally envisioned, the two should be equally developed on the servers, and the players should not be split based on PvE vs PvP. This isn't WoW.

I'm not crying anyway. This won't be the first or last time I have seen game devs make a decision like this that could make or break the game. If it breaks, I leave and take my dollars with me. Nothing to cry over, but a bummer I suppose.

If they would split servers into just 1,2 they would probably evolve differently as well. This way at least we know initial directon.
    This is correct. The plan, as I keep saying, is to evolve with the player base. The current player base is pushing in two different directions, so we'll start off this way. If you start off on a server with like minded players you know better what to expect in the future.

Choices and evolution with the community is the plan.

"Players that want less danger and future consentual tribal PvP should choose the Peace server."
    That is the choice that players and tribes have to make now. It still kind of polarizes crafters/PvPers though... from this statement it reads that on the Peace server there will never be any non consentual PvP between tribes.

Best way I can describe my feelings about this is to say that both servers will be "watered down" versions of the original vision.

Quote Originally Posted by mindtrigger View Post
    No they won't start off "the same" by virtue of the PLAYER DYNAMIC changing. This changes the whole game, if not in coded mechanics, in the PLAYER variable. Try to remember that this game is heavily reliant on the players themselves for content and evolution. I'm a good example. I have no idea which server I should go to now, because for me it wasn't as simple as PvE vs PvP. I think for Xsyon to work as originally envisioned, the two should be equally developed on the servers, and the players should not be split based on PvE vs PvP. This isn't WoW.

I'm not crying anyway. This won't be the first or last time I have seen game devs make a decision like this that could make or break the game. If it breaks, I leave and take my dollars with me. Nothing to cry over, but a bummer I suppose.
    It won't be PvE vs PvP server. It will be War server with FFA tribal war mechanic and Peace server with optional tribal war mechanic. This is the only main difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mindtrigger View Post
    Best way I can describe my feelings about this is to say that both servers will be "watered down" versions of the original vision.
    I completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    It won't be PvE vs PvP server. It will be War server with FFA tribal war mechanic and Peace server with optional tribal war mechanic. This is the only main difference.
    Are you joking? Look at the posts. No matter what the intended reason for this was, people are already splitting into PvE vs PvP camps and choosing servers accordingly. I see it in my own Tribe's discussion board right now. These server choices have been around in MMOs for years now, and no matter what the devs decide is the definition for these two servers, most players will read and act according to PvE vs PvP when choosing a server.

Hey, I hope everything works out, but I am completely confused as to where I belong now. I rather liked the idea of the original vision of the game. What we have now seems more like Darkfall vs. A Tale in the Desert.