Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    As a solo player, I've been having a blast. More than self sufficient with crafting + loot to supplement, nobody ever comes to my little cave where I have an unhealthy amount of pants stored. I don't have my own personal junk pile in my safezone, but that's the way it should be anyways. I assume that the devs are planning on rolling back the mist as soon as they can, so really, what's the deeeeeeeeeeal?

Don't bother talking to this guy, it's like talking to a rock. 90% of what he has said is pure unfounded speculation at this point. Besides, if you read his posts, what he really wants is the whole game changed to accommodate his particular version of solo play style, rather than trying to play solo within the scope of the existing game. There are other people who are playing solo and they are doing just fine. Solo play will be more challenging here just as living alone would be in a real survival situation. He says he "relishes" this, but all he does is complain about it.

Ok so we all agree it is harder for a single player to build a wall then it is for 10 players working together to build a wall. So why not make it where everyone is equal? Why make it where the tribes can come in and more or less take over a homestead if they so choose? Can a homestead go onto tribal land and set down a totem on a preexisting tribal plot? Can a tribe encompass more then one homestead? Can more then one homestead go in and place totems on already claimed tribal land? If one man is dumb enough to go out in the middle of a 300m across open, flat field with water and junk nearby... knowing that is a prime location for a larger tribe and does it just to be a pain in the (&!@ deserves to have his land encompassed by a larger tribe. However, I really don't think you will see this kind of behavior out of solo players. What I do think you will see is tribes or clans finding that sweet spot that a solo player has found that is medium sized, within prime area, and try and squeeze their group into a less then optimal location in order to run out or grief a solo player just to be @(^&#! This is what will cause the most chaos on the server when it happens.

Funny that Baldur, I don't have a trash pile near my homestead either.

We have water, and a few trees. Mainly this is due to it being nearly impossible to find a location that doesn't have water or trees.

it's a good 10-15 min walk to the nearest junk pile, and even then I've had no problems scavenging it if I wanted to. Most of the time I just work on my scavenging skill, which doesn't need a junk pile. Every time I forage for food, I scavenge too.. by the time they remove junk piles, my character should easily find what he needs for crafting.

Sorry I've been rude, but I'm incredibly frustrated, because I can't for some reason communicate 2 things clearly:

1. I intend to solo. I want to solo. I do not want to join a tribe and may never want to join a tribe, and if I had to join a tribe to play I would go read a book instead. But I do not have a problem with interacting with other people in this or any other game, and that includes to trade, share information, and pvp (however, if you sneak up on me and attempt a pvp interaction, I might reply by taking to my heels, depending on how I'm feeling and what I'm carrying).

2. I do not care that soloing is more difficult than all other styles of play. I like it that way. But I do not, in this or any other game (especially a full loot pvp game with scarcity issues on the way), wish to be dependent on the good will and kindness of internet strangers simply to be able to do basic things in the game such as gather and craft, or enter and leave my homestead. It makes no sense to me why any game would require solo players to put themselves in that precarious and unpleasant position. Or why other players, soloer or otherwise, would think this was a good idea.

The thing is, man, we understand what you're saying. We just don't see it as the crisis you seem to see it as. Will it become a problem? Possibly, but there's griefers in every game and you have to learn to deal with them, whether it sucks or not. I don't really see there being anything stopping me from gathering and/or crafting based on what's going on. I don't really use junk piles much since there's only me and one other guy I'm making tools for. I don't really need a lot of stuff, and most of what I need can be acquired by using salvage in the grass or woods. The junk piles primarily favor the tribes anyway, because they're the ones that need large amounts of stuff.

Sure, I may only find the nails I need once in a while, but I find dozens of them when I do, instead of just one or two. Once your salvage skill gets up a ways, you find a pretty ridiculous amount of stuff.

Besides, think about it this way: The Junk Piles are primarily temporary. They're eventually going to be spent and not recharge according to everything that's been said, likely post-prelude though. So not tying yourself to them will actually be advantageous, because you'll raise that scavenging skill as compared to just getting mountains of stuff off the pile, which will get you better stuff in greater quantities more often.

It's about term. Short term advantage == being in a flat place next to a junk pile. Long term advantage == being in the middle of nowhere where people won't find you, but you'll have to do some extra terraforming and learn to scavenge. It'll help a lot more in the long run.

Plus if you take some time to really look around there's junk piles hidden all over the place that people never go to, and there will be more in the future as the mists part almost assuredly.

I think it's a mountain out of a molehill situation which is why you're not getting the response you're expecting. You see this insurmountable mountain, we see a tiny little anthill. It's really not that big of a deal.

Besides, the wall thing doesn't seem as bad as you're making it out to be. Has it even happened yet? Did you just give people the idea? Do you realize how long it takes to build some of those walls? You'll have a lot of time, plus they have to have a really big tribe to get there, since they can't build on top of a homestead that's already there, the judgement seems to be halfway to max radius. That's... a lot of people and most griefers will find better and easier ways to grief people. Like following you around and killing you over and over and over. They just want to make someone's day miserable, they don't want to have to work at it.

A simple solution to a wall would be terraform all of your land to a giant hole and destroy the dirt. Then leave the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeous View Post
    The thing is, man, we understand what you're saying. We just don't see it as the crisis you seem to see it as. Will it become a problem? Possibly, but there's griefers in every game and you have to learn to deal with them, whether it sucks or not. I don't really see there being anything stopping me from gathering and/or crafting based on what's going on. I don't really use junk piles much since there's only me and one other guy I'm making tools for. I don't really need a lot of stuff, and most of what I need can be acquired by using salvage in the grass or woods. The junk piles primarily favor the tribes anyway, because they're the ones that need large amounts of stuff.
    I craft, and I craft often, so I do use junk piles.

Sure, I may only find the nails I need once in a while, but I find dozens of them when I do, instead of just one or two. Once your salvage skill gets up a ways, you find a pretty ridiculous amount of stuff.

Besides, think about it this way: The Junk Piles are primarily temporary. They're eventually going to be spent and not recharge according to everything that's been said, likely post-prelude though. So not tying yourself to them will actually be advantageous, because you'll raise that scavenging skill as compared to just getting mountains of stuff off the pile, which will get you better stuff in greater quantities more often.
    I never intended to stay around junk piles forever, and in fact never wanted to. I don't even like the mechanic, or living on top of one. And I will get my scavenging up as quickly as possible. But at first, not being near a junkpile is a huge disadvantage, unless I want to reroll and stash tools after launch (I don't) or club people over the head and take their stuff (not my favorite way to go, but hey, if this game really needs one more damn PKer roaming around, I guess I'll fill the position). I see a lot of tribes not far from each other, with junk piles on the land between them. I assume they share. I do not assume they will share with me and every other solo player who happens to live nearby. That wouldn't be very smart of them, would it?

It's about term. Short term advantage == being in a flat place next to a junk pile. Long term advantage == being in the middle of nowhere where people won't find you, but you'll have to do some extra terraforming and learn to scavenge. It'll help a lot more in the long run.

Plus if you take some time to really look around there's junk piles hidden all over the place that people never go to, and there will be more in the future as the mists part almost assuredly.
    I've been all over the map, including deep into the green, there are no places people haven't gone. I find totems everywhere. Actually, a lot of them seem to have been taken down over the past few days, but that doesn't mean the people who put them up last week won't be standing on that spot after the wipe.

And it's great that the mists will open up soon, but I don't intend to sit around and do nothing in the game until they do, plus, those could be bad places for solo players to jump into, as there may be no safe areas.

And if the tribes don't fence every pile they can, I'll be really surprised, given the predictions I'm reading in other threads about just how long that junk is going to last. Which is not very.

I think it's a mountain out of a molehill situation which is why you're not getting the response you're expecting. You see this insurmountable mountain, we see a tiny little anthill. It's really not that big of a deal.

Besides, the wall thing doesn't seem as bad as you're making it out to be. Has it even happened yet? Did you just give people the idea? Do you realize how long it takes to build some of those walls? You'll have a lot of time, plus they have to have a really big tribe to get there, since they can't build on top of a homestead that's already there, the judgement seems to be halfway to max radius. That's... a lot of people and most griefers will find better and easier ways to grief people. Like following you around and killing you over and over and over. They just want to make someone's day miserable, they don't want to have to work at it.
    It's hard to terraform a molehill once it becomes a mountain, and as for griefers, no one has to give them any ideas, they think up ways to grief people faster than I ever could. As for the time it takes to fence in a homestead, I could probably do it by myself in less than a day with just dirt and water.

But Rudder has a good idea, and it's exactly what I would do if I got fenced.

last time I checked you can't destroy the dirt out of your inventory, you get an error message.

Did you change your mind about quiting the game ifireallymust?

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    last time I checked you can't destroy the dirt out of your inventory, you get an error message.

Did you change your mind about quiting the game ifireallymust?

I was told when I asked for a refund that tribes wouldn't be allowed to grief players by completely imprisoning them in fencing. So I'm still here. And that's the only reason I'm still here.

11. 03-07-2011, 04:45 PM