Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CHALLENGE! what are the REAL Pros/Cons?

I ask this as i really havent been convinced so far that homesteaders actually have big advantages when opposed to tribes...which is why tribes want preferences like, setting thier totem first etc.

I am not asking this sarcastically or just to wind people up, but i honestly can't see why it's easier for a homesteader other than the initial land grab?

Landlocking should not count as this was advertised as a sandbox! the soloer is griefing you? then grief him back.

Someone stated that it's easier for a homsteader to move than a tribe? well if your whole tribe worked together and co-ordinated your efforts then again it should be no harder or easier than it is for a homesteader. yes you have to find a larger plot of land for a tribe....but if a tribe moves without first finding s decent plot of land then they deserve all they get lol.

I moved house recently...it was simple...i found another place to live first!

But i am sure i am missing some important elements...as i just dont see a valid argument other than "Tribes want it easier for them to set up"

It's not about moving a tribe. It's about land grab, big tribes already have problems with finding big enough spot. Some of them will have to wait for land expansion.
    But there's plenty of good spots for homesteads, don't take tribe's spots and no one will have a problem with your homestead.

Tribes will have much easier life, playing solo is hard, but it's your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    It's about land grab, big tribes already have problems with finding big enough spot. Some of them will have to wait for land expansion.
    But there's plenty of good spots for homesteads, don't take tribe's spots and no one will have a problem with your homestead.
    Plenty of good spots for tribes,don't take homestead spots and no one will have a problem with your tribe.

There are two parts to how I am going to place my arguement on why homesteads are actually a better choice for a power playing clan. The first part relates exactly to how the game is now, the other part relates to how the game will be later.

1. currently there is zero advantage whatsoever to building any tent, building or really even a wall. There is no in game stat gain, no extra durablity on baskets...'no nothing'. So what is the difference between clan with tons of homestead and a large tribe? square footage of overall realestate and how close players are to each other. per person, homesteads give you more square footage that is also more flexiable to move in small chunks rather than one massive single move. The disadvantage to homesteads however is how close people are to each other.

2. we have no idea what the advantages are going to be for large buildings so its completely guess work however by the time that gets in place and is better defined specific actions and stradegies can then be worked on most likely in the new areas as the green area move back.

Like I have said before, if I was planning on running a hard core pvp clan without any question in my mind I would operate multiple homesteads

EDIT: also, if I was in a pvp clan I would be to concerned with what clan 'owned' what junk pile anyway because I would just harvest on the land anyway if I wanted to. Yes you could attack me but you could do that anyway without a tribe totem there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FabricSoftener View Post
    There are two parts to how I am going to place my arguement on why homesteads are actually a better choice for a power playing clan. The first part relates exactly to how the game is now, the other part relates to how the game will be later.

1. currently there is zero advantage whatsoever to building any tent, building or really even a wall. There is no in game stat gain, no extra durablity on baskets...'no nothing'. So what is the difference between clan with tons of homestead and a large tribe? square footage of overall realestate and how close players are to each other. per person, homesteads give you more square footage that is also more flexiable to move in small chunks rather than one massive single move. The disadvantage to homesteads however is how close people are to each other.

2. we have no idea what the advantages are going to be for large buildings so its completely guess work however by the time that gets in place and is better defined specific actions and stradegies can then be worked on most likely in the new areas as the green area move back.

Like I have said before, if I was planning on running a hard core pvp clan without any question in my mind I would operate multiple homesteads

EDIT: also, if I was in a pvp clan I would be to concerned with what clan 'owned' what junk pile anyway because I would just harvest on the land anyway if I wanted to. Yes you could attack me but you could do that anyway without a tribe totem there anyway.
    You are leaving out one important advantage a tribe has, at least if and when /unstuck exploit goes away:

A solo player can't fence off much of a junk pile, I have yet to plant a totem square in the center of one and be able to fence the entire thing off. My homestead radius doesn't cover a whole pile, and now my radius is about to shrink. But a tribe can fence an entire pile, and a large tribe can fence several piles. Otherwise, I frankly wouldn't care either what tribe 'owned' what junk pile if I didn't have access to one, and neither would anyone else.

6. 03-07-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote Originally Posted by ifireallymust View Post
    You are leaving out one important advantage a tribe has, at least if and when /unstuck exploit goes away:

A solo player can't fence off much of a junk pile, I have yet to plant a totem square in the center of one and be able to fence the entire thing off. My homestead radius doesn't cover a whole pile, and now my radius is about to shrink. But a tribe can fence an entire pile, and a large tribe can fence several piles. Otherwise, I frankly wouldn't care either what tribe 'owned' what junk pile if I didn't have access to one, and neither would anyone else.
    Are you sure this hasnt been addressed already? I tried to /unstuck past a simple fence, and I get message of "objects in way"

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Are you sure this hasnt been addressed already? I tried to /unstuck past a simple fence, and I get message of "objects in way"
    Ah well there you go then. Tribe fences around junk piles incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiitis View Post
    Plenty of good spots for tribes,don't take homestead spots and no one will have a problem with your tribe.
    Heh, in 4 hour exploration I found one spot for medium size tribe(25-30 players) without a scrap pile and several close by. In the same time I found around 20 good spots for homesteads with scrap piles.

So baiscally what people are saying is that there are really no advantages for homesteads? or tribes? well from what i am reading no one seems to be coming up with anything solid...just opinions on how they themselves operate.

So both sound pretty equal. The only decent statment was " don't take tribe's spots and no one will have a problem with your homestead" this seems the best way to go for me. and if i do take a tribes sopt i would expect them to force me off somehow or maybe deal with me.

What i would hate to hear is the usual crybaby " we should be allowed that spot because we scouted it out in BETA "
    That stuff just drives me nuts, damn carebear tribes should go and play some other game!....hehe only joking.

ok, let's talk pro/cons

tribes

pros: (As tribe) biger impact on world, tribal features(not sure what yet, probably currency, taxes, more trading options, etc.), (as member) access to many different quality items, more people to play with.
    cons: HUUUUGE demand on resources, you may not know all members, limited freedom by tribal laws.

I'll leave tribal warfare as pro/con, It's a matter of opinion.

homesteads

pros: freedom(you can do what you want, build where you want), if you play with friends, close community.

cons: small area, hard to master your profession(you need to do multiple things), you have to trade with others for high quality items(hard if you don't have any high quality items for trade or you are master in one skill), you have to split time between what you want to do and what you need to do.

Homestead is a good chioce for hunters, farmers, animal tammers/herders. You supply tribes with what they need, and buy what you need.