Page 12 of 77 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Re:PvP vs. PK and some general impressions

sisler86 -

Here is an entire post about PvP from the developer. Like it or not, this game is going to be very PvP involved (thankfully), but it won't be the only thing to do (thankfully x2):

http://www.xsyon.com/forums/28-featu...-and-decisions

/me hands out chill pills.

sisler86 is correct. While there will be PVP it should not be the main element. PvP will come into play if tribes are fighting over a resource or to defend a resource.

The consequences for becoming evil should deter most from mindless ganking.

Before nay saying, or even agreeing with the current setup try it out, see how it plays out. If you don't like it after trying it then by all means speak your mind.

Currently it is pointless arguing over such little known facts, it's like saying the earth is flat when you have only see your backyard.

The dev. in this post said nothing about this game being "very PvP involved." He was simply stating the rules and answering some questions about the PvP elements to this game. If you want to know what kind of game this will be then read the "about" section and you will find that in all those paragraphs of text, I think there may be like three references to PvP. Will it exist? Yes. Is this a PvP focused game? Absolutely not. and the devs have even stated that if it starts leaning that way then they will take measures to make things more balanced for the non-PvP players out there.

sisler86 wrote:
    The dev. in this post said nothing about this game being "very PvP involved." He was simply stating the rules and answering some questions about the PvP elements to this game. If you want to know what kind of game this will be then read the "about" section and you will find that in all those paragraphs of text, I think there may be like three references to PvP. Will it exist? Yes. Is this a PvP focused game? Absolutely not. and the devs have even stated that if it starts leaning that way then they will take measures to make things more balanced for the non-PvP players out there.
    Do you really think a game with open-PvP, player looting, and tribe warfare is not going to heavily involve PvP?

Read what Virtus wrote...

"PvP will come into play if tribes are fighting over a resource or to defend a resource."

"If"? More like a guarantee. The only way they can tone down PvP is to make it optional. I'm 90% confident they will not do that, but if they do, a large piece of the current followers will be gone. Many of us started looking at this game because of open-PvP/loot, along with the other mechanics (twitch gameplay, skill decay, diverse crafting, etc.) that seem to be very deep with regard to gameplay.

As far as "evil" or "red"... Consequences are fine. What isn't fine is trying to make "evil" so harsh that it is obsolete. That wouldn't even be logical, since that playstyle is being coded into the game. Why waste time layering that code into the game if you're trying to discourage it to the point of being nonexistent?

I haven't seen them say they'd make it more balanced towards non-pvp'ers when talking about PvP, but I have seen them say they won't allow mindless, repetitive ganking. There's a difference.

The compromise was already stated, anyway:

We are considering two separate worlds to accomodate a different game play style if we have enough players that are interested in a 'safer' environment. - Xsyon

As I said before, open-PvP is a fundamental design choice, because it affects many mechanics. The initial choice is... Open-PvP. If they start caving to a few vocal people who speak against their fundamental choice, then it's a doomed game from the start.

I also said

Before nay saying, or even agreeing with the current setup try it out, see how it plays out. If you don't like it after trying it then by all means speak your mind.

Currently it is pointless arguing over such little known facts, it's like saying the earth is flat when you have only see your backyard.

Virtus wrote:
    I also said

I couldn't agree more, and I've also made that point several times. We won't know anything for sure until we play the game and see how things pan out. All we have right now are a few gameplay facts given to us as a teasers.

Virtus wrote:
    I also said

It only takes a bit of common sense to realize that a whole lot of PvP is going to happen because of the resources (which is a great thing). Gear/buildings/etc. will need resources. Resources dynamically move around and can be depleted. That will create a lot of exciting competition.

If you don't compete with a weapon, you better have the money to compete with in the market. But, where will that $$ come from? I don't think you're going to type in /givemefreemoney. You're going to have to go out into the world and earn it with all of the other people who may be sizing you up.

I don't really like the idea of a PvE/PvP server split, either - i actually like some open PvP, i just don't like random PKs while i'm doing mundane tasks like chopping or fishing... If there's a server split, you'll indeed have to watch your back every 5sec on the PvP server, while the PvE server will have no PvP at all. Neither would be fun for me.

JCatano wrote:
    It only takes a bit of common sense to realize that a whole lot of PvP is going to happen because of the resources
    It only takes a bit of common sense to realize that this will depend on the scarity of resources...

VowOfSilence wrote:
    I don't really like the idea of a PvE/PvP server split, either - i actually like some open PvP, i just don't like random PKs while i'm doing mundane tasks like chopping or fishing... If there's a server split, you'll indeed have to watch your back every 5sec on the PvP server, while the PvE server will have no PvP at all. Neither would be fun for me.

JCatano wrote:
    It only takes a bit of common sense to realize that a whole lot of PvP is going to happen because of the resources
    It only takes a bit of common sense to realize that this will depend on the scarity of resources...
    I think I'll give the devs the benefit of the doubt when talking about resource competition.

There will also be players coming here for PvP. Many will be opportunist, along with being very competitive. That is going to lead to an environment where resources will be fought over no matter how many are out there. It's not a bad thing.

Fighting over resources is one thing and that is fine. It brings a sense of depth to the game. It's when years down the road new non-PvP players can't even get a good start because the game is overrun by FFA PK's. That is my only concern. I want PvP in this game even though I, for the most part, won't participate. I just don't want the game be increasingly less fun for those of us who choose to build, scavenge, explore, etc.