Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Re:PvP vs. PK and some general impressions

Jadzia wrote:
    What's the benefit of FFA PVP for non-PvP players ?
    An Econ that works very well. Wars break out, and trades and politics happen.

Other things are, crafting for building a defense city. The better your crafters are and work, the better your defense will be. Need a wall built? Crafters help you a lot there.

Crafters are very needed. I look at other sandbox games like Wurm, and Roma Victor, and without crafters those guilds would be up a creek. They need solid crafters to support their war efforts and for basics.

NON PvP players are not just crafters either, they are also PVE people. PVE in Xsyon (and other sandbox games) are not just to go out and kill the 'bestest' and baddest thing out there. You need to harvest resources, and acquire rare items, from PVE and exploring.
    What NON FFA PVPers get in an FFA PVP world is the fact that when they do get something, it has more of a use than "Oh that looks so cool" you come back with rare resources or techs that your clan/guild/tribe can use, and use well. You gain respect for being someone that helps the team not just in defense of your tribe, but because you are willing to help with rare and support your tribe.

Without FFA PVP, there is no risk, players dont have that drive, that need to defend or attack. Its done where places are so protected that there is no fear thus its worth less.

What is Xsyon?

Xsyon is a massively multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG), an online community, a virtual world and an adventure.

Set in the near future, Xsyon is an apocalyptic fable. The world draws its inspiration from history, mythology, and prophecies of the Apocalypse. Most aspects of modern life are now gone. The leaders of the new world, under the guidance of the reinvigorated once forgotten gods, have hidden traces of the scientific progress that led to the devastation of the earth. Modern vehicles, weapons, appliances, computer and even the books that describe these things are practically nowhere to be found.

The world will be released in a series of installments. Each release will further expand the online world to locations across the planet. the myths, beliefs and culture of these locations, both past and present will augment the Xsyon experience, as new skills, crafts, artifacts, creatures and landscapes are introduced. The storyline will advance based on the prophetic revelations and the players settlers of Xsyon who influence and determine the current state of the world.

Xsyon is Dynamic:

Xsyon is an ever changing dynamic world. Players affect the environment by gathering resources, chopping down trees, hunting animals, building towns and developing trade. Players hold the power to create and destroy, to maintain a balance with nature or to cultivate a new civilization.

The game is built around environmental, natural, economic, questing, and social systems. These systems are in constant flux and it's the players interacting with these systems that determine the current state of the virtual world.

Xsyon is Educational:

Xsyon is a fantasy world, but is heavily based on reality. Set in an uncertain apocalyptic future, the virtual world draws upon real life geography, history, science and medicine, fauna and geology are slightly twisted versions of what is real. Whether you are ascertaining which wood is sturdy enough for construction and which is flexible enough for a bow, gathering information on the local geography or uncovering historical facts and trivia, there is always something new and real you can learn from the Xsyon world.

Xsyon is Flexible:

As a player, explorer and settler of this new virtual world you have many choices. You can play as a warrior, a trader, a crafter, or a cultivator of crops. You can specialize your skills or become a jack of all trades. You can play as a clan leader or town offical, socially involved with many other players, or you can explore the world as a lone adventurer. Xsyon is a game for all kinds of players from casual to hard core. The path you take is up to you.

Xsyon is Fun:

Whether you are a first day scavenger or a grizzled veteran, Xsyon should be fun. Players begin with a decent set of statistics rather than evolve from a weakling to a super human. You enter the world inexperienced and lacking skill, with strengths and weaknesses, but still as a hero. Rather than grind levels to reach predictable goals, Xsyon is based on change, interactions and consequences. As new quests, lands and features are constantly introduced, there is always something new for you to discover.

Xsyon is Unique:

By combining elements of different game genres and social worlds and by blurring the line between fantasy and reality we have created a unique online world. We hope you will find the Xsyon experience fresh, enjoyable, rewarding and full of surprises.

Explore, learn, make friends and enjoy! Are you with us?

What is the Prelude?

The Prelude is a limited first release of the Xsyon virtual world. An isolated basin surrounded by mountains in a future American wilderness serves as a launching point for the ever expanding world. This setting provides a pristine environment for players to develop a new world.

During the Prelude, Xsyon will continuously evolve and expand. Denizens will uncover remnants of lost technology, discover new crafts and skills and encounter new creatures. A deadly fog which surrounds the basin will slowly recede to expose new lands, more affected and ravaged by the ongoing apocalypse.

The players of the Prelude begin as scavengers, hunters and gatherers. By uniting as clans and building towns, they will cultivate civilizations, establish trade, forge alliances and develop enmities. They lay the foundations for future generations of Xsyon dwellers.

Join us now in the Prelude and help determine the future of Xsyon!

I'm just wandering why everyone is so hell-bent on forcing FFA PvP into this game. No where in the games description do I see this being the games focus. I see this being a game focused on building and forging civilizations rather than the typical run around killing everyone MMO. This is not Darkfall. It also worries me a bit that the game hasn't even come out yet and people are already worried about this being a giant PvP fest.

wars will happen buddy , weather its not pvp focused or not , wars are what keeps shit interesting , if nothing could happen to ur progress and all u did was build build build , not very many people would play

sisler86 wrote:
    I'm just wandering why everyone is so hell-bent on forcing FFA PvP into this game. No where in the games description do I see this being the games focus. I see this being a game focused on building and forging civilizations rather than the typical run around killing everyone MMO. This is not Darkfall. It also worries me a bit that the game hasn't even come out yet and people are already worried about this being a giant PvP fest.
    a few things here it has already been made clear that there will be FFA PvP weather we like it or not... these conversations are more like how we as a community will deal with the PvP system however it is true that this will unlikely be the focus of the game... anyway this is most likely the reason that the game was purposely under-hyped was to avoid tens of thousands of PvP madmen (like me) from swarming the game from the vary beginning and to allow the game to develop a form of "government" to ensure the safety and further development of the game world as a whole

I would proudly label myself as what many people on here refer to as a "carebear" type. I do not enjoy a lot of PvP unless I choose to get involved. My point is that everyone who says to me that "this game is not for you" ends up ruining every game non PvP'rs finally find that isn't like that (by its description, this being one of them) The game description says nothing about waging wars or battling different factions. It says things like explore, build, and expand. When I first discovered this game, I thought that it was going to be my dream MMO, but I am starting to become very concerned that the immature PvP'rs (not all of them) are gonna ruin this one for me too. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this concern.

Without conflict and pvp there is no incentive to progress. You just build, craft, hunt, advance...and then what? Brag to your friends that you're some epic shit crafter with max skill?

Might aswell go play Oblivion or Command & Conquer.

That's my opinion. I do like PvE and some crafting/gathering, but without a purpose I'll get bored.

sisler86 wrote:
    I would proudly label myself as what many people on here refer to as a "carebear" type. I do not enjoy a lot of PvP unless I choose to get involved. My point is that everyone who says to me that "this game is not for you" ends up ruining every game non PvP'rs finally find that isn't like that (by its description, this being one of them) The game description says nothing about waging wars or battling different factions. It says things like explore, build, and expand. When I first discovered this game, I thought that it was going to be my dream MMO, but I am starting to become very concerned that the immature PvP'rs (not all of them) are gonna ruin this one for me too. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this concern.
    rest assured this game can still be a "carebears" dream game and at the same time a "PvP madmans" dream game, for example i (the PvP madman) already think of this game as my dream game, as this is the most excited i have been about a game, because of all of its awesome features which are planed to be in this game, for example its great crafting system, wile at the same time it's PvP system... to get into more detail from what i have seen although the PvP system is indeed free for all the game world will undoubtedly be community driven, due to it be a sandbox game, and thus the rules and laws of the world would make it increasingly difficult to be a pker... and i think that PvP should be monitored and hindered less it over run the game and submerge any other great features in a sea of blood never to be seen again... and i like it that way as i like to be challenged, wile you "carebears" can go about your business relatively safe as long as someone like me isn't trying to kill you

Jadzia wrote:
    shadowlz wrote:
    Jadzia wrote:
    PANZERBUNNY wrote:
    It sounds like you dont like consequence gaming and should stick to a mostly PVE game.
    Many of us would do that with pleasure. Just please convince Jordi to give us a PVE only server. We won't miss PKers there...but the PvP players are going to cry that their server became empty. If PvPers are confident enough that their playstyle is the better and more enjoyable one, why are they against server split ?
    They arnt against a split because of PvP, they don't want a split because thats stupid. So you would have 1 server that just builds towns, and one server that just ganks each other with their fists, naked.
    Or they would have 2 servers where everyone plays the game in the way they like ?
    Everyone gets to play the game they like too. Just so happens that people enjoy running along and smacking you over the head with their stone club.

I'm sorry, but this game has been described as having PVP and an open sandbox environment.
    Splitting the server would be stupid and detrimental to the game. Stop being selfish and thinking about your own playstyle while letting everyone elses die.

Everything will have its place in the game.

PANZERBUNNY wrote:
    Jadzia wrote:
    shadowlz wrote:
    Jadzia wrote:
    PANZERBUNNY wrote:
    It sounds like you dont like consequence gaming and should stick to a mostly PVE game.
    Many of us would do that with pleasure. Just please convince Jordi to give us a PVE only server. We won't miss PKers there...but the PvP players are going to cry that their server became empty. If PvPers are confident enough that their playstyle is the better and more enjoyable one, why are they against server split ?
    They arnt against a split because of PvP, they don't want a split because thats stupid. So you would have 1 server that just builds towns, and one server that just ganks each other with their fists, naked.
    Or they would have 2 servers where everyone plays the game in the way they like ?
    Everyone gets to play the game they like too. Just so happens that people enjoy running along and smacking you over the head with their stone club.

I'm sorry, but this game has been described as having PVP and an open sandbox environment.
    Splitting the server would be stupid and detrimental to the game. Stop being selfish and thinking about your own playstyle while letting everyone elses die.

Everything will have its place in the game.
    I agree. I think we are all being too quick to say one way or another how this game is going to pan out. I say we just play the game and see where it goes. Who knows? They may have a great system that will continually work for both PvPr's and nonPvP'rs.

Taylor999 wrote:
    wars will happen buddy , weather its not pvp focused or not , wars are what keeps shit interesting , if nothing could happen to ur progress and all u did was build build build , not very many people would play
    Um, not even close to true. Games like ATITD do just fine and there is not one single ounce of fighting in that game. It's all about building and politics. It keeps interest and is quite fun. There are still MANY ways to be devious, it's just not that...jump someone cause you can, attitude. People use their brains, not their muscles. I would really like to see more of that style in this game.

Many people would rather solve social and political puzzles than run around fighting each other for no real reason.

You want a straight PK war game, go play an MMO that goes for that. Honestly, when I paid for this game, I did not see this attitude in the posts from the developer. I don't think that PK is even close to being a focus for this game. It may be a part of the game, but certainly not a focus. IF I am wrong, I would love to hear that from the dev.

Come on folks, there are more than one type of person that plays games. Just how many games are out there to PK in? TONS. How many are there that actually allow players to build, create and enjoy. Only a very few.

I am NOT saying PvP isnt ok. It's not my preference, but it can be interesting if implemented properly.

I AM saying PK is NOT ok for me. ONLY with very well balanced ways to manage it, is it even tolerable.

And I have to agree with those that brought this up...I would love a choice. PvP or PvE server. Especially if it's going to be a FFA PK environment.

:blink: