Page 53 of 77 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Re:PvP vs. PK and some general impressions

Ruinous wrote:
    As a PVPer, if crafters were to have me in their tribe and kit me with the best armour, weapons, kit I'd have a ball protecting them from PKs. The PKs get someone to fight who will put up a 'challenge', I get my kicks out of being the hero and being well rewarded for my service and the Pve-orientated folks get protected.

Just food for thought... ofc I know being the sole protector is likely to get me killed, but a tribe of pve'ers could afford to have plenty warrior types around I would think. Win/Win for all concerned imho.
    You in a tribe yet? If not you should definitely check us out. We could use someone like you.

I'm not sure if some friends are joining or not, but I'll be sure to check your tribe out. Thanks

Ruinous wrote:
    Just food for thought... ofc I know being the sole protector is likely to get me killed, but a tribe of pve'ers could afford to have plenty warrior types around I would think. Win/Win for all concerned imho.
    I assume there are going to be many tribes like this in Xyson. At least that what ATS is shaping up to do. We have a lot of players who really like to spend their time crafting and gathering, and we have a lot of players who like to spend their time killing other people, the two compliment each other...thought this was normal for a game like this?

I did not read the previous 52 pages of text (skimmed over some of it) so I am sorry if some of what I say reflects similar thoughts of others.

After reading some of this thread I thought I would throw my 2 cents in on the matter.

Please Note : The views expressed here are simply my opinions.

First off I would like to define a sandbox mmo in my own words. A sandbox mmo is one in which the players make the bulk of the rules and game play is determined based on players actions and interactions with little intervention on the part of the development team.

This being the case, in this particular situation, griefers must be dealt with by the player base. It is up to us as players to determine what laws we lay down in the lands of Xsyon, what rules are enforced, much the same as a clan has rules within itself to maintain order and harmony. PvE'ers and PvP'ers should be working hand in hand to provide for each others weaknesses, there is no need to play the game as if it was a console game, this is a MULTIPLAYER GAME, if the only thing you care about is yourself then go play xbox or something. Our interactions as players will be what determines weather or not the game is fun or successful, not the griefers.

The question that should be being asked is not "Why do they allow ffa pvp?" or "what do pve'ers have to gain from ffa pvp?". What should be being asked is what are we, as the players, going to do about the griefing? The table is already set, now we need to decide how we are going to eat at it.

Some tribes may take the honorable route of forbidding the "ganking/griefing" of noobs and crafters. Some may create pacts with non-pvp clans and exchange protection for goods. Some PvE tribes may take the route of bribing the enemy to leave them alone. Some tribes may form up purely to combat griefers.

Without pve'ers yes the griefers won't have anyone to grief, but without pve'ers the pvp'ers also lose a purpose for pvp, one that has been around for eternity, defense of the weak. All throughout every form of civilization there have been the warriors who defended the townspeople. If we choose to play the game as a mmo instead of a single player game then we could work together well to create a community where griefing is not rampant, where PvP is honorable between those who wish a challenge, where crafters and rp'ers can live in peace.

Think about the game from the perspective of what it is intended to be, an Online Virtual Fantasy World where anything is possible. Once you have done this you will realize that we as players can make anything happen or not happen.

I read up to page 10~ and then decided to screw reading and post, I want to play my game :P

@ PKers:
    I risk the possibility that real life with have a twist and the time I registered to the game goes unused, I risk the possibility of finding some creature in the wild and finding out that one snap of its jaws and I now no longer have a left left.

I risk a lot when I play with someone who thinks its okay to take what they like without regards to how someone else got such items. But who cares about me, when all said and done, you are the only one that matters?

(Did you ask me how to get such item? How about asking if I would sell such item? Have you talked to me at all other than thinking I may or may not have a item of worth if you decided to attack my avatar? Do you not care about these questions?)

What I care about is the ability to sanction such players. Be it place you in a jail system run by players, where you have to pay me back 1.5x the amount you stole, or a month (game time) of hard labour per person you are convicted of killing. Or more easier ways to inflict a punishment on you. I don't care if that means your game sucks, you did something that you know is wrong, I don't care if its in a game or not; I paid for this game, why should I suffer if you choose to play this style of character. You choose the choices to do whatever, live with it.

At the end of the day, my 60 dollars for an initial fee and an 25 dollar on-going fee is just as good as yours. (Dollars round-up to closet 5 in local currency.)

@ Carebears:
    PKing has its value in that it's acceptable to happen because the game allows it. If a game don't allow it, it's simply don't possible or possible with consequences.

But that means at the end of the day, that it becomes something of a, "wait {time_frame} for a fix" or develop skills to fight the players.

@ Everyone:
    Forcing someone to play a role in a game is not going to happen. I don't care if PvP and PvE is merged into one server, provided I know that if KillerAttackingBot goes on to attack players for no reason other than "I'm bored", "It's fun", "Noob"... I can do something about it, but by not using violence.

I won't play the role of Village Guard, nor will I play the role of Village Dead_Person. I wont choose either even if its PvP or Carebear - choose one and only one. I mix and match when and if I feel like it and should be free to do so whenever and however I like, not because KillerAttackingBot forced my hand.

How about ways to prevent it? Traps, magic, skills and knowledge could all be used to stop it. How about land ownership and NPC guards?

Traps could be as simple as a tree covering the mine entrance, or as advanced as wire strung from the tree that will cut you to pieces.

Pits that fall into the ground with sharp sticks at the bottom, lets hope an ambush wasn't planned and someone places a wooden barrier between the surface and the pit and trapping you down they log out. It sucks to be PKed... but it also sucks to be forced to keep a PKer trapped till the time is right.

How about a magic charm that detects movement, upgrade it and it detects movement of non-allied players, upgrade it again and it sense players before they come in-contact with the charm, upgrade again and it becomes a mini-map of the area. At each stage the warning types increase.

Just imagine an email system. At the highest stage of the charm being upgraded it takes 1hour to send out a warning email message, "Warning, charm {charm_name} has detected hostile forces approaching." Upgrade it again to get that email after 30minutes of detection. Upgrade to increase the size it can detect and monitor and warns you with 1hour delay, and the final upgrade to have the larger area with a delay of 30minutes.

Travel could be an issue as well and depending on what is and is not possible in the game a link to "teleport" to a certain location could be great.

We know nothing of the game, so any ideas or the like are what we feel is right. But the problem is code and resources, can that be coded and be tested for bugs in a timely manner? Probably not.

Largion wrote:
    Why do you even want to play a game that have pvp options or even a online game?
    Good question, a worthy question.

Almost all of the best Sandbox MMOs are PvP. So if you like/love PvP and also like/love experiencing a virtual reality in regards to altering the environment, REAL crafting, realistic virtual living, then you are all set. Especially it seems in Xsyon.

But what if you want to experience everything a sandbox MMO has to offer EXCEPT PvP/PK (to me there is absolutely no difference)?

Then you are screwed like me. I love sandbox MMOs except for the killing characters part. If you can't understand why I am this way or why I can't PvP, well even I am not completely sure myself, all I can say is it is the way I am. All I know is it makes me sick even to watch it take place in a MMO even if I don't participate. I am not alone, there are other Players like myself, but generally Developers are of the PvP type and they don't understand us either.

Online games do NOT have to have any PvP at all.... they are just always made that way, the biggest reason is that Players enjoy killing each other in a game where the Law doesn't show up to arrest them for the activity. I seriously have never heard a single argument that proves to me that we must kill in online games... it's just how they have been done. There is infact many other possibilities that Developers and Players have never considered much.

I STILL crave a sandbox MMO style virtual world. I have played Wurm and loved most of it, and I have derived a massive amount of enjoyment just from interacting... living.. tin the virtual world of Wurm. Terraforming to make a necessary road or a deed, cutting sprouts and planting trees and shrubs for hours, foraging/botanizing ad nausium, these are the features I love. I don't need a feature like PvP for my game enjoyment, living in the virtual world itself and making a livng are all I could ask for. However Wurm is dated, and has it's limits, and I am watching Xsyon to see if it is truely what I seek. Xsyon looks like the next generation, new and improved, yet it's own unique world. I will be watching Xsyon from a far, and if it appears that there will be a place for me, then I will be spending a lot of time there. If Xsyon looks too hostile for the likes of me then I will be waiting again for years for another sandbox MMO.

In the meantime, enjoy Xsyon, it does indeed look very good longterm, and that compliment is coming from a Player that hates PvP in all forms. I will not ask that Xsyon be changed for the sake of Players like myself. Just keep Xsyon on it's heading and may fair winds keep your ship moving swiftly along to full feature release.

Kyrmius wrote:
    Largion wrote:
    Why do you even want to play a game that have pvp options or even a online game?

Almost all of the best Sandbox MMOs are PvP. So if you like/love PvP and also like/love experiencing a virtual reality in regards to altering the environment, REAL crafting, realistic virtual living, then you are all set. Especially it seems in Xsyon.

But what if you want to experience everything a sandbox MMO has to offer EXCEPT PvP/PK (to me there is absolutely no difference)?

Then you are screwed like me. I love sandbox MMOs except for the killing characters part. If you can't understand why I am this way or why I can't PvP, well even I am not completely sure myself, all I can say is it is the way I am. All I know is it makes me sick even to watch it take place in a MMO even if I don't participate. I am not alone, there are other Players like myself, but generally Developers are of the PvP type and they don't understand us either.

Online games do NOT have to have any PvP at all.... they are just always made that way, the biggest reason is that Players enjoy killing each other in a game where the Law doesn't show up to arrest them for the activity. I seriously have never heard a single argument that proves to me that we must kill in online games... it's just how they have been done. There is infact many other possibilities that Developers and Players have never considered much.

I STILL crave a sandbox MMO style virtual world. I have played Wurm and loved most of it, and Xsyon looks like the next generation, new and improved, yet it's own unique world. I will be watching Xsyon from a far, and if it appears that there will be a place for me, then I will be spending a lot of time there. If Xsyon looks too hostile for the likes of me then I will be waiting again for years for another sandbox MMO.

In the meantime, enjoy Xsyon, it does indeed look very good longterm, and that compliment is coming from a Player that hates PvP in all forms. I will not ask that Xsyon be changed for the sake of Players like myself. Just keep Xsyon on it's heading and may fair winds keep your ship moving swiftly along to full feature release.
    You sound like a care bear. Why are you afraid of pixels dieing?

Palo god wrote:
    Kyrmius wrote:
    Largion wrote:

I STILL crave a sandbox MMO style virtual world. I have played Wurm and loved most of it, and Xsyon looks like the next generation, new and improved, yet it's own unique world. I will be watching Xsyon from a far, and if it appears that there will be a place for me, then I will be spending a lot of time there. If Xsyon looks too hostile for the likes of me then I will be waiting again for years for another sandbox MMO.

You sound like a care bear. Why are you afraid of pixels dieing?
    because even though a character is pixels, that blob of pixels represents a living breathing human creature. It's Energy, and in real life we are matter... which can be energy... frankly I don't see a real difference between the real world and the virtual.

As a result, I do not kill, nor do I steal, in any Online Game/ MMORPG/MMOG/ Virtual World.

I do not ask anyone to understand or agree, just this is who I am. If that makes me a carebear, then here's my sign.

I do not expect I will be playing Xsyon... even though it's world tempts me. I do wish you all the very best of good servers and lag free gametime.

Freaking hippies and their free love and pseudo wisdom.

Kyrmius wrote:
    Largion wrote:

I STILL crave a sandbox MMO style virtual world. I have played Wurm and loved most of it, and I have derived a massive amount of enjoyment just from interacting... living.. tin the virtual world of Wurm. Terraforming to make a necessary road or a deed, cutting sprouts and planting trees and shrubs for hours, foraging/botanizing ad nausium, these are the features I love. I don't need a feature like PvP for my game enjoyment, living in the virtual world itself and making a livng are all I could ask for. However Wurm is dated, and has it's limits, and I am watching Xsyon to see if it is truely what I seek. Xsyon looks like the next generation, new and improved, yet it's own unique world. I will be watching Xsyon from a far, and if it appears that there will be a place for me, then I will be spending a lot of time there. If Xsyon looks too hostile for the likes of me then I will be waiting again for years for another sandbox MMO.

You worded my thoughts exactly.
    Don't give up hope The developers of Xsyon do seem to care about the peaceful type of players and they stated many times that this game won't be a PvP focused one, and will never turn into a gankfest.
    And have you ever tried ATITD ( A Tale in the Desert) ? In that game there is no combat at all, unfortunately the game mechanic is kind of grindy and boring for me.