Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Re:PvP vs. PK and some general impressions

Jeopardy wrote:
    Taylor999 wrote:
    wars will happen buddy , weather its not pvp focused or not , wars are what keeps shit interesting , if nothing could happen to ur progress and all u did was build build build , not very many people would play
    Um, not even close to true. Games like ATITD do just fine and there is not one single ounce of fighting in that game. It's all about building and politics. It keeps interest and is quite fun. There are still MANY ways to be devious, it's just not that...jump someone cause you can, attitude. People use their brains, not their muscles. I would really like to see more of that style in this game.

Many people would rather solve social and political puzzles than run around fighting each other for no real reason.

You want a straight PK war game, go play an MMO that goes for that. Honestly, when I paid for this game, I did not see this attitude in the posts from the developer. I don't think that PK is even close to being a focus for this game. It may be a part of the game, but certainly not a focus. IF I am wrong, I would love to hear that from the dev.

Come on folks, there are more than one type of person that plays games. Just how many games are out there to PK in? TONS. How many are there that actually allow players to build, create and enjoy. Only a very few.

I am NOT saying PvP isnt ok. It's not my preference, but it can be interesting if implemented properly.

I AM saying PK is NOT ok for me. ONLY with very well balanced ways to manage it, is it even tolerable.

And I have to agree with those that brought this up...I would love a choice. PvP or PvE server. Especially if it's going to be a FFA PK environment.

:blink:
    Right.
    A post disaster apoc. themed game where people have to hunt, skin and use everything they can get their hands on to make armour and weapons to survive....but lets use politics? 0_o. Does anyone else seem to think that this theme is geared towards murdering that stranger across the way that has something you need?

And many people would rather solve social and political puzzles? 0_o. right. you keep on believing that.

PANZERBUNNY wrote:
    Jeopardy wrote:
    Taylor999 wrote:
    wars will happen buddy , weather its not pvp focused or not , wars are what keeps shit interesting , if nothing could happen to ur progress and all u did was build build build , not very many people would play
    Um, not even close to true. Games like ATITD do just fine and there is not one single ounce of fighting in that game. It's all about building and politics. It keeps interest and is quite fun. There are still MANY ways to be devious, it's just not that...jump someone cause you can, attitude. People use their brains, not their muscles. I would really like to see more of that style in this game.

Many people would rather solve social and political puzzles than run around fighting each other for no real reason.

You want a straight PK war game, go play an MMO that goes for that. Honestly, when I paid for this game, I did not see this attitude in the posts from the developer. I don't think that PK is even close to being a focus for this game. It may be a part of the game, but certainly not a focus. IF I am wrong, I would love to hear that from the dev.

Come on folks, there are more than one type of person that plays games. Just how many games are out there to PK in? TONS. How many are there that actually allow players to build, create and enjoy. Only a very few.

I am NOT saying PvP isnt ok. It's not my preference, but it can be interesting if implemented properly.

I AM saying PK is NOT ok for me. ONLY with very well balanced ways to manage it, is it even tolerable.

And I have to agree with those that brought this up...I would love a choice. PvP or PvE server. Especially if it's going to be a FFA PK environment.

:blink:
    Right.
    A post disaster apoc. themed game where people have to hunt, skin and use everything they can get their hands on to make armour and weapons to survive....but lets use politics? 0_o. Does anyone else seem to think that this theme is geared towards murdering that stranger across the way that has something you need?

And many people would rather solve social and political puzzles? 0_o. right. you keep on believing that.
    Why would you murder someone for some resources when you can just get it yourself. That's not fun that is lazy :P

PANZERBUNNY wrote:
    Right.

IF you really need to fight someone to survive, it's entirely ok to so, because there is a real ingame reason to act this way. But a post-apoc game also includes ambitions to rebuild a civilized society, so there you got the "social and political puzzles".

But if someone plans to grief and kill others no matter what, simply because "FU, that's my playstyle and i enjoy it, go play another game carebear!" - well, i hope Xsyon won't be geared towards these people. These people don't really care about reasons, acting in-character, the game world, or other players.

VowOfSilence wrote:
    PANZERBUNNY wrote:
    Right.

IF you really need to fight someone to survive, it's entirely ok to so, because there is a real ingame reason to act this way. But a post-apoc game also includes ambitions to rebuild a civilized society, so there you got the "social and political puzzles".

But if someone plans to grief and kill others no matter what, simply because "FU, that's my playstyle and i enjoy it, go play another game carebear!" - well, i hope Xsyon won't be geared towards these people. These people don't really care about reasons, acting in-character, the game world, or other players.
    That's more or less where I am at on this. I'm not opposed to PvP as a whole, I just don't want to have to watch my back every five seconds for an immature PK just to go out and get a piece of wood for a house. PvP is obviously intended to be a smaller aspect of this game and I hope that the way things work out, it will be very inconvenient, if not completely pointless to "gank" someone.

necoo wrote:
    anyway this is most likely the reason that the game was purposely under-hyped was to avoid tens of thousands of PvP madmen (like me) from swarming the game from the vary beginning and to allow the game to develop a form of "government" to ensure the safety and further development of the game world as a whole
    btw: define "PvP madmen"? I mean, in order to ensure safetly, PvPers are needed as well. Lots of, actually. Officially declare yourself "protector of all carebears", and you'll get more PvP than you can handle, that's for sure ='D
    And it's honorable and challenging combat too, unlike blantant backstabbing.

In sandbox games you typically have to worry about PK. PKing isn't 'immature' necessarily, you have something they want, so they take it. Being a PK should be a very big decision so there isn't random PKing constantly, but there shouldn't be any reason some guy in a sandbox game is unable to attack you.

To fully disclose I'm a PK/griefer in about every game I play. Honestly though, I think most of the people that do it are complete idiots and have no sense of making it funny or interesting. Most of it is 'LULZ I SPAWN CAMP U' type of stuff. PKers should have to make a pretty big decision to be a PKer and live with some fairly tough consequences. Death penalties for reds ought to be fairly steep for example.

And it isn't pointless to 'gank' people necessarily. The whole point of this game is interactions with others in game, and you should be able to interact with people meaningfully. I PK/grief for a bit of fun, look at 'Belan the Looter' from Ultima Online or some Something Awful members. Others do it because they don't feel like spending 10 hours chopping trees, and honestly, if some guy is chopping trees a whole bunch and not being careful why not? Its a sandbox game and its meant to let the player make as many decisions as possible, and have to live with them.

Leave yourself vulnerable while chopping trees? Well, there are potential consequences. Be a PKer? Consequences.

*EDIT*

Let me do mention though that this game should not be ABOUT PvP/PK. UO PKing was so great because it wasn't about that stuff. Recent 'sandbox' MMOs like Darkfall/Mortal Online have forgotten this and really made it just a PvP game rather than a sandbox game. There should be heavy enough punishments so it isn't just about PvP, but the freedom for some to do so anyway.

Haha, anti-PKs get WAY more PvP than PKs do by a long shot. In UO the antis were typically better equipped because they were protecting all of the crafters, and they didn't have to worry quite so much about death as the PKs did. Good post.

I'm just worried that this game is going to turn out like the t.v. show "Lost." It started out good as a bunch of people building shanties and trying to survive, but just ended up turning into an "others fighting others" killing fest.

The whole meaning behind the term "sandbox" means that the game world is shaped and formed by the players. Let's not form this into something that will end up destroying itself. I'm ok with PvP, but Darkfall and other faction vs faction games already exists, lets Xsyon be Xsyon.

VowOfSilence wrote:
    necoo wrote:
    anyway this is most likely the reason that the game was purposely under-hyped was to avoid tens of thousands of PvP madmen (like me) from swarming the game from the vary beginning and to allow the game to develop a form of "government" to ensure the safety and further development of the game world as a whole
    btw: define "PvP madmen"? I mean, in order to ensure safetly, PvPers are needed as well. Lots of, actually. Officially declare yourself "protector of all carebears", and you'll get more PvP than you can handle, that's for sure ='D
    And it's honorable and challenging combat too, unlike blantant backstabbing.
    "PvP madmen" are like the guys that go into a game only to fight other players and continually fight through out the day... wile i admit i'm not quite at that point i do enjoy a good fight though im not so holy as to protect random "carebears" even if that means ill get to fight... and its not as though i won't kill you without a reason i will always have a reason even if the only reason is "im bored" in which case i most likely will just leave you unconscious and not kill you and might just leave you will all your stuff unless you have something good

PANZERBUNNY wrote:
    Jadzia wrote:
    Or they would have 2 servers where everyone plays the game in the way they like ?
    Everyone gets to play the game they like too. Just so happens that people enjoy running along and smacking you over the head with their stone club.

I'm sorry, but this game has been described as having PVP and an open sandbox environment.
    Splitting the server would be stupid and detrimental to the game. Stop being selfish and thinking about your own playstyle while letting everyone elses die.

Everything will have its place in the game.
    Read the feature list of the game on the site, it says NOTHING about PvP. And excuse me, how can my selfish playstyle destroys others' ?If its only me who want to build and play in peace then obviously I'll be alone on the PVE server...not destroying your PVP game. If the majority of the players go to the PVE server that means you were the selfish one...you wanted to use other players as the source of your own fun, and you were the one who ignored they didn't want to take part of it.
    And about having server split :

Xsyon wrote:

Re: Server Selection? 3 Weeks, 5 Days ago
    We will have one server at start.

We are considering two separate worlds to accomodate a different game play style if we have enough players that are interested in a 'safer' environment.