Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would like to set up a give-away box, how?

Being the generous person that I am, I want to set up a storage bin that the public can access. I'll put excess tools and goodies in there, and let people who come by take them.

Is there any way to prevent people from taking the bin itself? If I set the permissions to public, then they can take the bin also.

Xsyon Citizen
    1. No, you can't do that.

2. You trust people with the entire contents of the basket, but you don't trust people with the basket itself, which is inevitably worth less than any single item inside? I don't think you've thought this through.

I understand that. I will just have to make a new basket if I want to do this.

It's not a matter of trust, I plan to just plain give away stuff. When someone runs by my land, they can get an Easter Egg sometimes I was crafting knives, and made 10 of them to help level, so I'll give away some of them to passers-by. I'll just make little gift baskets to leave on the ground with the knives in it.

Quote Originally Posted by billpaustin View Post
    I understand that. I will just have to make a new basket if I want to do this.

It's not a matter of trust, I plan to just plain give away stuff. When someone runs by my land, they can get an Easter Egg sometimes I was crafting knives, and made 10 of them to help level, so I'll give away some of them to passers-by. I'll just make little gift baskets to leave on the ground with the knives in it.
    It's good to see there are players like this. UO use to have vendors that had all kinds of useful (and some expensive) set up to help the struggling players. As far as the baskets go, look at it as basketweaving exp, lol.

I do that too, but I use the totem for it.

If I make like 10 knives and want to give them away I usually just make a quest and ask for 1 bundle of grass or something. Pretty much as good as free as it takes little effort to walk off my homestead and pick up some grass and bring it to the totem.

I used to try to do the baskets but I found most people really dont bother looking at the baskets at all, maybe they think they are all private or something.

Try the quests on the totem really, it works wonders and we should all be trying to get everyone used to using the system more. Especially you bigger tribes out there. Help us out, put some quests up for us to do already!!

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by billpaustin View Post
    It's not a matter of trust, I plan to just plain give away stuff.
    But, ya see, unless you specifically WANT to be giving stuff away to established players who don't need the tools, you're basically trusting people to only take what they need. It's an honor system.

That said, the quest solution described above sounds like exactly what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by river111 View Post
    I do that too, but I use the totem for it.

If I make like 10 knives and want to give them away I usually just make a quest and ask for 1 bundle of grass or something. Pretty much as good as free as it takes little effort to walk off my homestead and pick up some grass and bring it to the totem.

I used to try to do the baskets but I found most people really dont bother looking at the baskets at all, maybe they think they are all private or something.

Try the quests on the totem really, it works wonders and we should all be trying to get everyone used to using the system more. Especially you bigger tribes out there. Help us out, put some quests up for us to do already!!
    I really like the totem features... I use it allot as well... the draw back to that is you dont know which clans are going to be KoS to you when you step foot on their land and which are not... we need banners or something that can placed at the edge of our lands to depict friendly, hostile, trader, crafter... or whatnot... needs to be a way to craft signs. Think about all the apoc movies we have all seen... there are always signs no matter how crude and basic.. but there is always signs!!

Think about all the apoc movies we have all seen... there are always signs no matter how crude and basic.. but there is always signs!!
    agreed i will be putting quests upon my homestead once i get established but i agree we need some sort of signs to tell what type of tribe we are

How about heads on stakes around the perimeter of the camp

Xsyon Citizen
    I think a couple of well place "shouts" in local chat would also help with the quests / gift baskets. Not spamming it, but just every so often give out a shout to say whats available.