Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Doesn't matter how many servers you open or how you try and control the land, in 6 months the lakefront is going to be a scrapless cestpool of PvP gankness. People running around mad trying to find and protect the last tree in existance. And when the safe zones come down it will be a mad rush by half the tribes to take/defend the baskets on the land, while the other half run to find a new place miles away and carry thier stash away from the lakers.

Six months, the lake will be the LAST place anyone wants to call home. 1 server, 2 servers, 10 servers it doesn't matter. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it!

River...seem like a good guy but ya gotta get to know Xsyon and its pvp problem...

In yer 6months...most of the the pvp kids will be off to attack another game, just like they came here...
    For Craft...scrap will be fine along with trees etc...we aint vores, just human...dare ya to cut down every tree in a path for a month an see if anyone notices it...
    Plus scrap is temp..its a transition product..
    what else...
    oh yah...safe zones wont come down...this is a restructuring MMOG like Tale...not like Dominion...pvp is always gunna be second to city building...

An approach i'd like to have seen from the devs is to create that war server, then when a new zone has been finished, allow the tribes on the war server to relocate back to the main server, as i have my doubts about the game even becoming interesting until there are zones without safezones.

Xsyon Citizen
    To the OP, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    IT engineer myself, and here's my opinion.
    EVE Shard / Clusters are the best thing ever, but this can't work for Xsyon :

- EVE has space portal "gates" connecting galaxys, so each galaxy could be on a separate server if needed because of crowding (Jita ...). Quest are in instances, with warp "gate". Global statistics, inventory, registers, are on separate global servers. All is calculated on SQL server, without any realtime collision calculation, based on numbers and stats. You just can't aim, but only select and click the button "calculate". And it's a highly optimized SQL stored procedure that will run and answer hit or miss.

- Xsyon zoning is efficient for world landscape loading, but I doubt the zone transition could take a player and change his server seamelessly without some "gate" between the big world squares.
    There's no underground, no continents to separate things in the world. And there's some real collision calculation during combats ... In fact, i guess it's the heavy and hard thing to implement for ranged (bow) combat, that could kill one server load, or reveal to the players that the (ranged) combat system is definitely broken.
    Planned world growth is 10 time the actual zone hidden in the green myst ... That could be enough, or not. We will see. But server load could be problematic.
    It absolutely can be done. Darkfall does it. Seamless map, collision, twitch-gameplay, etc. Look at this 3rd party copy of the map, and you can see all of the squares or "zones":

http://www.mercfall.net/map

DF runs on 80 blade servers to share the load. At the beginning, each tile used to load up as you ran over the "zone" line. A few months after launch they did their first siege optimization/performance patch and changed how the areas loaded. It no longer loads by tile. There is now, or seems to be, a radius around your character that extends out to max clip range (which is very far) and the areas/players load up as your character moves around or when other players move into your radius.

Xsyon loading doesn't seem any different from early DF.

Jordi would just need some cash, good hardware, and time/manpower. I doubt the current server host and infrastructure is anything worth bragging about.

No to two servers. That's a permanent solution to a temporary problem that can be solved by other means.