Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Re:Conflict, Death, Consequences and Decisions

Thanks

From what I can see, it will come down to how mature the playerbase is. In one of the games I played, there was a few years (Real time) where the only evil city had a population of < 10% of the player base, we used to get raided every night. I'm from Australia, and at times there would only be me and two or three others online from the city, but about 100 people online all up. But, it was the best fun I've had in any game

Some times it's fun being the underdog, but I do agree having your village wiped out all the time with no way to protect yourself can be annoying.

I read that good towns will be able to set their towns "protection" level, where as evil will not? Can you tell me why it's like this? It seems to me like you have branded evil players as PKers and good as PVEers. My character will most likley be evil, I enjoy the RP of an evil character, not for the sake of mass murdur, but due to divine patronage, or some demonic afiliation (Whatever the case of the game may be).

I havn't seen an evil tribe being created yet (Although I would assume I just have not found it), either way, I actually thing good will outnumber evil, and that to "punish" a player for choosing evil RP as opposed to good, you may wreck the balance. And I'm really not to fond of the whole "punishment" idea for PK. The idea of "Infamy" is appealing, having bounties placed on you by the opposing tribe, and other things that makes other people more able to fight you, not kill you, but be able to fight you in return.

This is all speculation, it seems there has been a great deal of thought put into this game, and I trust you to do what you think is best. Until release, there isn't much point speculating.

-Teotwauki

Teotwauki wrote:
    From what I can see, it will come down to how mature the playerbase is. In one of the games I played, there was a few years (Real time) where the only evil city had a population of < 10% of the player base, we used to get raided every night. I'm from Australia, and at times there would only be me and two or three others online from the city, but about 100 people online all up. But, it was the best fun I've had in any game

Some times it's fun being the underdog, but I do agree having your village wiped out all the time with no way to protect yourself can be annoying.

I read that good towns will be able to set their towns "protection" level, where as evil will not? Can you tell me why it's like this? It seems to me like you have branded evil players as PKers and good as PVEers. My character will most likley be evil, I enjoy the RP of an evil character, not for the sake of mass murdur, but due to divine patronage, or some demonic afiliation (Whatever the case of the game may be).

I havn't seen an evil tribe being created yet (Although I would assume I just have not found it), either way, I actually thing good will outnumber evil, and that to "punish" a player for choosing evil RP as opposed to good, you may wreck the balance. And I'm really not to fond of the whole "punishment" idea for PK. The idea of "Infamy" is appealing, having bounties placed on you by the opposing tribe, and other things that makes other people more able to fight you, not kill you, but be able to fight you in return.

This is all speculation, it seems there has been a great deal of thought put into this game, and I trust you to do what you think is best. Until release, there isn't much point speculating.

-Teotwauki
    Because it sounds good in theory but in practice it doesnt work out.

A few Evil players can really cause problems for a lot of good players. Having a punishment for being Evil is what will stop it from being so wide spread.

There are rewards for being Evil also.

Teotwauki wrote:
    If "being evil" is mostly a roleplaying thing for you, what's stopping you from creating a neutral clan with likeminded people and just creating rules for how you interact with other people to come off as insane demon worshipers or whatever. It's not like there are any evil races or classes to play, so the "evil flag" is more of a choice of what you want your pvp gameplay to be like.

Teotwauki wrote:

-Teotwauki
    It was said the protection would only be for the prelude, until the other protection measures were fully implemented.

I do a lot of posting from my phone at work, so forgive me for lack of quotes.

MrDDT,
    I think what I was trying to say was that good players can do a lot of harm to evil players as well, but I do agree a lot of people who have bad game ethics do tend to roll evil characters.

Siko:
    I was/am still unsure on how the whole evil thing will be implimented, if it's like you say just a PK flag type deal, and there's not actualy a reason for a character to be evil, then I doubt I will play an evil character. I was kind of assuming there would be a god or something drawing people down the evil path.

Edit: This is an accidental double post, please delete if you wish.

I do a lot of posting from my phone at work, so forgive me for lack of quotes.

MrDDT,
    I think what I was trying to say was that good players can do a lot of harm to evil players as well, but I do agree a lot of people who have bad game ethics do tend to roll evil characters.

Siko:
    I was/am still unsure on how the whole evil thing will be implimented, if it's like you say just a PK flag type deal, and there's not actualy a reason for a character to be evil, then I doubt I will play an evil character. I was kind of assuming there would be a god or something drawing people down the evil path.

Sique:
    Keeping that in mind, you don't want all the good players to steamroll all the evil characters just because they can. Of course, if I missed the asumption that evil is used as a PK flag type tool only, then yes, I guess they choose it knowing that.

On a side note, perhaps it is not such a good idea encouraging those interested in PK to join evil tribes. I think making both appealing is a better option, as people need people to fight, and one sided conflicts are bad. Not to mention those un-interested in PK joining evil tribes. Saying that, I don't think that is what Xyson is trying to achive, I'm just speculating. As I said before, I don't think to much of what is said now really means much, the game could go 100 different ways, and developers may tweak things.

Just be mindfull that not all evil characters will be played by immature powergamer PKers with no self controll, but there will be some good players who are.

-Teotwauki

Actually most of the people who claim to be evil or want to be evil are more chaotic neutral not evil. Of course they probably have no understanding of alignments in D&D and how they work. Chaos is when there are no rules or very limited rules and neutral is narcissistic. Evil actually has rules they live by just not for the good and are not roaming killers.

Xsyon wrote:
    The overall goal will be to constantly balance things so that both good
    and evil can enjoy the game.
    Let us hope that this means that evil players will not have very big penalty for death, because otherwise griefers from "good" tribes will prevent evil tribe members from enjoying the game.

True evil tribes will not have an issue. They are trying to prevent the roaming hordes of PKers who give nothing to the game.