Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackzilla View Post
    It's okay to play videogames....
    um.... youre the one who was going on about how safezones exist in reality just like they do in the game. i pointed out that they dont. not sure what your point is supposed to be here other than being a useless troll

Quote Originally Posted by kaisergod View Post
    Thing is, there isnt some magical forcefield around that navy seal preventing him from being touched while he walks around killing people on his base. You CAN attack them, but that is a decision you make knowing there are consequences. In a game with Safezones, there is no decision to be made, no weighing consequences, etc you are simply unable to do anything due to some magical barrier that says "This person cant even be touched while theyre in here".
    The seal also doesn't log out and go to work all day somewhere else leaving the place empty. Games are not realistic and at times we need unrealistic things added to take the place of what might happen in a more realistic setting. For example. . you could not go into the base.. shoot he navy seal and log out behind a tree.

Lets just make the entire server a safe zone. Lets avoid any risk of anyone ever losing anything, getting their feelings hurt, losing pixels, fighting when they weren't expecting it, or experiencing any dynamic game play ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelTEE3 View Post
    Lets just make the entire server a safe zone. Lets avoid any risk of anyone ever losing anything, getting their feelings hurt, losing pixels, fighting when they weren't expecting it, or experiencing any dynamic game play ever.
    That would be just as bad, if not worse, than making the entire server open pvp anywhere and everywhere.

I know that your post wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but was rather your way of expressing distaste at the idea of any sort of safezone. Still, I think the "all-or-nothing" crowd is extremely short-sighted whether it's always pvp or never pvp. The game can be balanced for both types, and that would be the best solution for all players.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandarie View Post
    I think if you are a good aligned tribe and you go to visit another good aligned tribe you should be safe in their safezone. As long as the leader of that tribe has marked you as a friend. what do you think?
    H to the E to the L to the L NO

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    That would be just as bad, if not worse, than making the entire server open pvp anywhere and everywhere.

I know that your post wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but was rather your way of expressing distaste at the idea of any sort of safezone. Still, I think the "all-or-nothing" crowd is extremely short-sighted whether it's always pvp or never pvp. The game can be balanced for both types, and that would be the best solution for all players.
    Extremism is fun.

Thanks to you guys the game won't be what the voices of reason are wanting

Quote Originally Posted by Garek View Post
    Thanks to you guys the game won't be what the voices of reason are wanting
    ?

Stuff like that sounds really good in theory, but it doesn't work that well in practice. In real-life there are severe consequences. Like death or years in prison. In-game there aren't those consequences. The Eve-online system of having the NPC police come and destroy the aggressor wouldn't work that well either because this isn't a target-based combat system. So finding a comprimise would be the best solution. PvP-types, like myself, do not need the whole map to PvP because it drives off A LOT of players. I personally wouldn't mind playing a game that has no safe zones--the reason I don't still play Darkfall is because of the lack of depth with finding resources and crafting and because the movement system was awkward as hell for NPCs and players.

But by having safezones for players to play in, then suddenly people become more interested in the game. Call them carebears if you want, but their money is just as good as anyone elses. And by having some safezones and some non-safezones, the game becomes open to many different types of play-styles. And that is never a bad thing for a "sandbox." The PvP players would still have PvP. That would not be taken away.

All the devs would have to do is put some common resources and mobs in the safe areas and then put different stuff in the PvP areas. Now PvP is not only a viable playstyle, but a NEEDED playstyle. The crafters are going to need to trade for those resources, and in some cases they might venture out on their own to look for them.
    /signed. I can't wait for Xsyon to mature to this point.

Stuff like that sounds really good in theory, but it doesn't work that well in practice. In real-life there are severe consequences. Like death or years in prison. In-game there aren't those consequences. The Eve-online system of having the NPC police come and destroy the aggressor wouldn't work that well either because this isn't a target-based combat system. So finding a comprimise would be the best solution. PvP-types, like myself, do not need the whole map to PvP because it drives off A LOT of players. I personally wouldn't mind playing a game that has no safe zones--the reason I don't still play Darkfall is because of the lack of depth with finding resources and crafting and because the movement system was awkward as hell for NPCs and players.

But by having safezones for players to play in, then suddenly people become more interested in the game. Call them carebears if you want, but their money is just as good as anyone elses. And by having some safezones and some non-safezones, the game becomes open to many different types of play-styles. And that is never a bad thing for a "sandbox." The PvP players would still have PvP. That would not be taken away.

All the devs would have to do is put some common resources and mobs in the safe areas and then put different stuff in the PvP areas. Now PvP is not only a viable playstyle, but a NEEDED playstyle. The crafters are going to need to trade for those resources, and in some cases they might venture out on their own to look for them.
    Perfectly stated. Nothing more needs to be said as this sums up exactly the right balance between realism/gameplay and PvP/non PvP that is required to ensure the game thrives.