Thread: Tribal outposts

Tribal outposts

With people working on redetailing area covered in mist, I came with idea to make new area a bit more interesting: Allow tribes to build outposts in it.
    You are most likely thinking what outpost? how do they differ from normal tribe? So let me begin:

Outpost are essentially extra totems that tribe can put on ground. Totem would have to be build and carried unlike the tribal totem. Totem should be rather expensive. Outpost area does not grow and is mostly mechanically identical to normal tribe area.

So what is use of this? This is going to be long one but bear with me(pun intended):

Since Jooky's idea of Xsyon was UO where towns are build by people lets take a moment to think about it. In UO towns were mostly safe areas, place where you could trade, talk, craft, things like that. Xsyon prelude is supposed to be time when those towns are build, but Xsyons towns would still differ a lot:

UO towns were mostly safe to everyone and they had banks. In Xsyon "towns" are only safe for their builder which does not promote people to go from "town" to "town" to trade and such.

In UO wilderness was FFA area. In Xsyon this is the same.

In UO people would sometime build their own cities and houses near valuable locations(value could be mobs or ore). In Xsyon there isn't really areas that really differ from each other. People want to build near trash piles but there is no difference between each pile and these piles will eventually run out of resources. This is where outposts and new area that is currently covered in mist come in:
    Current tribe locations could be though as static towns in UO and outposts would be small encampment or such where tribe would store valuables from new area and organize teams to gather these valuables.

So lets take a look what this would bring us:
    -Current tribe areas could be more humane if tribe would want so
    -Outposts serve as temporal storage for valuables from new area

So what would prevent tribe from spamming outposts? War:
    Lets look it this way: If there would be mechanic that would allow tribe totems to be removed you would lose ALL. You would never ever lose ALL in EVE, UO, Darkfall, MO: you had banks. You could put items in bank and if you would lose all stuff you were CARRYING you could take new items from bank. Xsyon does not have this feature so I am thinking that tribe area could work as this bank.

So outposts would be something to fight for.Wage war to prevent enemy tribe from gaining resources from new areas. Tribe could start war with another tribe and after war starts both tribes could destroy each others outpost totems and steal what ever is in them.

Maybe new areas would not have all stuff that is currently located in prelude area so people would have to transport stuff from prelude area to new area and vice versa.

So what do you guys think? What flaws do you think this idea holds? How could they be fixed or maybe you have even better suggestion?

That's basicly how it is going to work. We'll have extension totems and they will be conquerable(warring or not).
    What you wrote is already in game concept.

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    That's basicly how it is going to work. We'll have extension totems and they will be conquerable(warring or not).
    Thats nice but I am unable to find where its stated as already being game concept

Since poster above has failed to deliver anything im bumping this thread back to disscussion

I can vouch for him, I do recognize quite a few ideas from your post from previous dev posts, I really don't know where it was stated though, sorry I can't help more.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
    I can vouch for him, I do recognize quite a few ideas from your post from previous dev posts, I really don't know where it was stated though, sorry I can't help more.
    There was something similiar in March update 5 but my thread was made before it and I suspect yoori read update first then my thread and came into his conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by me
    The way I would want the game to work out for strategic, balanced PvP and conquest is a three step series of safety:
    The areas around, and connecting the new player starting zones should be completely safe. No damage would be done to players unless to both agree to a duel.

The next level of safety would be an area around the safe area where players can set up tribal cities and homesteads which are safe, but the areas between them are not; much like the current system, but I would add something to the way it is now. If someone attacks you on their tribe lands then you should be able to defend yourself.

The last level of safety would be no safety at all. It would be this area where players could expand their tribes claim with what I'd term "expansion totems." Tribes and players would be unrestricted in where they could build and what they could build. This would include terraforming because there is just too much strategic potential to keep it locked up in limited areas. These expansion totems could come in many different types too. One type might increase tribe member damage within a certain radius, one might increase defense, or whatever. Some types of buildings would only be allowed to be placed near your totem, but other players could still set up structures in this radius too. The expansion totems would be for upkeep purposes and like command center type buildings in RTS games.

There's even ways to make this fit into the whole angels and demons thing going on with the lore. All they have to say is, "Oh, the angels make it safe." and bam! It even fits in thematically.
    I posted this a view days ago, but I've been harping on about this idea for a while now. I think something like this would be best for the game since more people will be interested in the game if they know they can play and not get ganked anywhere outside of town, more people will stick around because of that, and because PvP players would have areas where they can conquer/build almost unrestricted, as well as areas where they can function as bandits.