Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Everyday it becomes more clear that the reality is this game is going to need lot more preparation to succeed.
    Server and bandwidth can handle 3K concurrent users? Plan for 5-10K

There is only one game launch in MMO history this is comparable to - Mourning

I just don't understand how terraforming can be a planned feature announced to sell copies, when it was never tested with a substantial amount of players - this game needs 2-3 years of non-paid beta testing and a world-class network code programmer

Really hope it does go well....

I just hope we get something bearable to play while they continue working on stuff. I can afford the $15 a month, but I'm already lvl 50 in Rift and boooooored.

Quote Originally Posted by vorg View Post
    If this is truly a single server (one computer, not a network of computers), then it won't matter if everyone is in one place or scattered as thin as possible. The server has just as many people to talk to. In games like eve, zones are on different machines. Some machines have several "zones". Others only have 1 or two because those zones are high traffic, Like Jita.
    My post from a past thread:

Looks to be one of these per WhoIs:

http://www.ubiquityservers.com

Or...

http://www.hypernia.com

Neither looks to be anything special.

---

Ubiquity has dedicated servers, but I don't see anything about MMO infrastructure. Hypernia offers MMO solutions, but doesn't give any details on hardware.

If Xsyon isn't currently running 10-20 machines with enough pipe (bandwidth)... I don't know how it's going to make it. Darkfall uses 80 IBM blades. As of about 4 years ago, EVE used 84 IBM blades.

I thought about maybe resubbing Fallen Earth again. Not played it in a year. I was thinking about Rift, but I know I will get bored in a few hours with that one.

So Rift is pretty linear/easy?

Quote Originally Posted by JCatano View Post
    My post from a past thread:

Looks to be one of these per WhoIs:

http://www.ubiquityservers.com

Or...

http://www.hypernia.com

Neither looks to be anything special.

---

Ubiquity has dedicated servers, but I don't see anything about MMO infrastructure. Hypernia offers MMO solutions, but doesn't give any details on hardware.

If Xsyon isn't currently running 10-20 machines with enough pipe (bandwidth)... I don't know how it's going to make it. Darkfall uses 80 IBM blades. As of about 4 years ago, EVE used 84 IBM blades.
    Nice JC. That's good recon.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
    So Rift is pretty linear/easy?
    Extremely, but also one of the most polished games out there. They do some things better than Blizzard, and that says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorakin View Post
    Extremely, but also one of the most polished games out there. They do some things better than Blizzard, and that says a lot.
    Nice. Blizzard needs good competition. Keeps them on their toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorakin View Post
    from my understanding polish is the only thing good about RIFT. That is a really sad statment for the state of 'mainstream' gaming

There is only one game launch in MMO history this is comparable to - Mourning
    I was there for that one. Dev literally took the money and ran.

keep waitng for the dev explanation on the apparent Launch Fiasco Ver. 2.0.

did they just turn off servers to disable features?

Did a couple racks explode?

I really don't know what to say to people like the OP.

On the one hand, I get it. They expect to have a working product that adheres to some standard of a finished product, even if it is weak on features, unless the devs told them they are buying into a Beta product.

On the other hand, as someone who has gamed online 16 years or so (over 30 if you count offline games, BBS systems, and modem-based games), I understand that I bought into an indie game from a small developer and there will no doubt be many things that need to be worked through in the first 6 months - 1 year of the game. Especially when you consider the game itself will always be in a fluid state of development throughout it's lifespan, due to the type of game it is. Much more fluid than any theme park game we have played.

Having said all of that, the game does not appear to be ready even for a soft launch. I would like to know how many players hit the servers today to form tribes. If the game isn't ready to handle a moderate load from this relatively small gaming community, than perhaps launching this soon is too ambitious.

Paid pre-alpha D=

I'm still at work and so is most of the US.