In the long run...

Where you place your totem isn't going to matter too much. At least for balance's sake it shouldn't. I know most games of these types get the balance wrong for most things, but if Eve can do it then I have faith that at least one other game will be able to do it too.

Game developers just need to start learning from the mistakes, and successes of others.

i just feel sorry for my neighbors.

just because you can try to jump somebody's claim, doesn't mean you should.

*shrug*

Yeah it isn't

I hope that they allow tribal warfare before the Prelude ends. So those upset with not getting the spot they wanted, can at least start a war with the tribe to reclaim the land. I think many are upset that for 6 months they wont have the spot they wanted to form their tribe on.

Xsyon Citizen
    i assumed totem placing would matter in the short and long term. idealy, i wouldnt want my tribe surrounded by 12 other tribes. the warfare would be pointless and neverending. theres plenty of land though. i'm sure it will all work out. ok. it's 6pm. time to see if i can log on.

Based on current plans that wouldn't work though. Wars would have to be mutual so only a handfull of tribes would even bother to do that. What they need to do is open up more land, with different types of resources, other than junk, and have it so that tribes can build and terraform pretty much anywhere, even next to another tribes buildings, so that warfare actually means something. While leaving the current area up for permanent tribe placement.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    Based on current plans that wouldn't work though. Wars would have to be mutual so only a handfull of tribes would even bother to do that. What they need to do is open up more land, with different types of resources, other than junk, and have it so that tribes can build and terraform pretty much anywhere, even next to another tribes buildings, so that warfare actually means something. While leaving the current area up for permanent tribe placement.
    Yeah, it all seems to come down to who can get their totem on those damn junk piles.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    sure wars have to be mutual, but that's only in a 'asset destruction' thought...

However, since in no case will you be 'safe' outside of your little safe zone, if you die every time you walk out of it, well that's a powerful motivation to move...or at least fight back. either one is good with me.

Yep, but this game isn't really that bad off. I expect technical issues with new games now. It's just one of those things that can't be avoided when it comes to games that don't have the funding to purchase adequete hardware. That, and there's only currently two developers working on this game right now. I think what I'm going to do later, since I'm bored to tears from grading papers and making lesson plans (How the hell do you differentiate activites for students that involve making models of the different organic functional groups!?), I'll develop a plan for what I think would bring a decent amount of balance to the game in terms of PvP/Non-pvp, items, skills, and abilities.

Btw, on a side note: If anyone that reads this thread has problems with lacking self-confidence, then teach high school students. My sense of self-worth has sky-rocketed in the last view weeks.

@Dubanka, I thought about that too. But there was a post a week or so back that said that that kind of behavior would, or at least might, be considered griefing even though it's perfectly acceptable by in-game mechanics. (I guess I should point out that I spend 99% of my time playing in high sec when I play Eve -- yet I'm with the PvPers when it comes to the need for it because it brings balance).