Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorakin View Post
    Minutes? Siege should take hours at least. I guess with defenses it could go into the hours, but that goes back to the game not being ready yet :P
    Hours? Sieging?

Are you playing the same game as the rest of us? We're building tents and crap to start with. There not exactly any "sieging" to be done, just toss a piece of burning wood on it and **poof** end of siege.

We're not instantly placing grand building and castles and fortresses that can be defended.

You dont seem to really get exactly where we are and whats in the game right now. All the stuff youre saying is fine LATER, when things have advanced, we have more technology, bigger areas, etc, etc but it has absolutely no bearing on what is happening right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kaisergod View Post
    Hours? Sieging?

Are you playing the same game as the rest of us? We're building tents and crap to start with. There not exactly any "sieging" to be done, just toss a piece of burning wood on it and **poof** end of siege.

We're not instantly placing grand building and castles and fortresses that can be defended.

You dont seem to really get exactly where we are and whats in the game right now. All the stuff youre saying is fine LATER, when things have advanced, we have more technology, bigger areas, etc, etc but it has absolutely no bearing on what is happening right now.
    So you do want your entire tribe to go up in flames in minutes? I mean you were the one complaining about it. You can have realism or a game that works, your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by kaisergod View Post
    The problem is you wont be able to setup shop and come back later. Think about the time it takes to rebuild all of your stuff, even without doing any terraforming. Meanwhile, a large tribe if they wanted to could just run around destroying everything everyone else has worked for within minutes, and theres no way to defend yourself. Even f you do manage to defend your land, are you going to stay logged on 24x7 for the rest of your time playing Xsyon? All they need to do is wait for you to logoff for sleep, work, etc and then destroy it all with no risk whatsoever to themselves. Wther its "desirable" or not wont matter. If they can destroy it, they will, simply to stop you from being able to rebuild and come after them later on.

Thats the reason safezones are there for now, because there are no defenses in yet. Once we have our defenses, then the conquering will begin.
    That's the problem. When you have the freedom to destroy whatever you want in an MMO, you have the freedom to join a zerg tribe, or not play. If solo players and small tribes have no means to defend themselves, only mega tribes will continue to exist.

I wouldn't mind siege weapons if...

- Took plenty of resources, time, skills to construct the weapon
    - Took plenty time to damage the structures, hours to destroy it
    - The weapons decay quickly and don't stick around as long as other items in game.

Putting in the tools for a tribe to get the land they wanted is a good idea, but making sure that it requires a large amount of resources and time would help prevent players mindlessly going around and destroying any tribe in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosegg View Post
    Great point made by river111 on page 5 of this thread:
    http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...s-unbelievable
    My own rant is on page 4...

I actually agree with this solution, and I would be happy with it,
    but ideally, also give us a way to remove someone else's totem.
    How exactly can we do that now without just being super annoying?

In reality someone could walk up, burn your house to the ground, chop your totem down, and walk off.
    But also "in reality" there is a "fair balance" deterrent, because you could have sentry/alarms (dogs, watchtowers etc), and if you kill someone, or injure them, they are likely to be permanently removed as a threat.

This is a game, not reality- yes I know.
    I'm not advocating a perfectly realistic system; this is a game and that is why games have systems for dealing with things like conquest and diplomacy which are balanced to the specifics of the game boundaries (Which are by nature, limited to less-than-real).
    You have to admit though, that making a game with such strong focus on realistic features not having a system to balance basic property rights is kind of strange.
    Maybe you "limit" the amount of "war declaration" one tribe can do in a set amount of time (one per 14 days maybe) then you would alleviate "steamroller" effect where a large tribe just wipes out everyone in mere days. Also before taking over a piece of land maybe there could be a transition time (like at least 72 hours) where a tribe could fight back the invader and take back its land. I am for what is proposed here (knowing that it means that we might loose our land) but it needs a fair balance I think. So that destroying a tribe or a homesteads is not just a matter of taking down a wooden post (totem).

To fight that back, I think homestead should be allowed to be in communities (within the same area) so you have to take ALL of them out not just one before you can laid claim to their land. Was it Shadowrun that had a system like that were wars for cities took 72 hours ???