Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Let diplomacy and/or war settle this?

Great point made by river111 on page 5 of this thread:
    http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...s-unbelievable
    My own rant is on page 4...
    Quote Originally Posted by river111 View Post
    I was all for a fair start, but seems technical issue have taken that away. No I dont want another wipe, I lost both my spots and dont care either way. If you lost your spot I personally think its time to turn on the combat and lets get this war rolling. We tried the peaceful landgrab 2 times now (3 if you count the second start today) and its all jacked each time. So lets turn it all on, let the big tribes that lost out go nomad until they can grief the thieves off thier plot. If they had it at 9am PST but not at the second wipe then I feel they have every right to fight for thier land now. Let let the diplomats take the lead here, either work out peaceful deals for the land or fight for it. But please, do NOT wipe and do again.
    I actually agree with this solution, and I would be happy with it,
    but ideally, also give us a way to remove someone else's totem.
    How exactly can we do that now without just being super annoying?

In reality someone could walk up, burn your house to the ground, chop your totem down, and walk off.
    But also "in reality" there is a "fair balance" deterrent, because you could have sentry/alarms (dogs, watchtowers etc), and if you kill someone, or injure them, they are likely to be permanently removed as a threat.

This is a game, not reality- yes I know.
    I'm not advocating a perfectly realistic system; this is a game and that is why games have systems for dealing with things like conquest and diplomacy which are balanced to the specifics of the game boundaries (Which are by nature, limited to less-than-real).
    You have to admit though, that making a game with such strong focus on realistic features not having a system to balance basic property rights is kind of strange.

Here is my problem with that: I'm on a fairly inoffensive location (the first one was even better, no tribe would want it, all it had was a small junk pile and not much room around it). But do you think that matters once people realize they can attack people and destroy their totems? The solo players and small tribes will all be gone within a day if this happens.

Yea unfortunately the game is not ready for this kind of warfare... but this is the correct answer to the homestead/landrush problem.

all we've ever wanted.

the more you try to code a solution the more vulnerable you are to a coded problem.

Let the players loose. If you can hold it? great.
    If you can't? retreat, set up shop in a more defensible/less desirable/more remote location...lick your wounds then come back and take back what was yours.

The more we try to 'code' fair, the less fair the whole process is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    all we've ever wanted.

the more you try to code a solution the more vulnerable you are to a coded problem.

If you can't? retreat, set up shop in a more defensible/less desirable/more remote location...lick your wounds then come back and take back what was yours.

Seems like the more they 'code' fair the more it benefits the solo players

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    all we've ever wanted.

The problem is you wont be able to setup shop and come back later. Think about the time it takes to rebuild all of your stuff, even without doing any terraforming. Meanwhile, a large tribe if they wanted to could just run around destroying everything everyone else has worked for within minutes, and theres no way to defend yourself. Even f you do manage to defend your land, are you going to stay logged on 24x7 for the rest of your time playing Xsyon? All they need to do is wait for you to logoff for sleep, work, etc and then destroy it all with no risk whatsoever to themselves. Wther its "desirable" or not wont matter. If they can destroy it, they will, simply to stop you from being able to rebuild and come after them later on.

Thats the reason safezones are there for now, because there are no defenses in yet. Once we have our defenses, then the conquering will begin.

Minutes? Siege should take hours at least. I guess with defenses it could go into the hours, but that goes back to the game not being ready yet :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sorakin View Post
    Seems like the more they 'code' fair the more it benefits the solo players
    So let me get this right...

A tribe with 20+ members, all able to work together to build, create things for eachother, fight alongside eachother etc and a large area of land.

VS

A solo player, needing to fend for themselves, build everything themselves, make/earn eevrything themselves on a tiny little plot of land, made even tinier recently.

And youre crying about how "hard" it is for tribes.

<3 the tears.

Quote Originally Posted by kaisergod View Post
    The problem is you wont be able to setup shop and come back later. Think about the time it takes to rebuild all of your stuff, even without doing any terraforming. Meanwhile, a large tribe if they wanted to could just run around destroying everything everyone else has worked for within minutes, and theres no way to defend yourself. Even f you do manage to defend your land, are you going to stay logged on 24x7 for the rest of your time playing Xsyon? All they need to do is wait for you to logoff for sleep, work, etc and then destroy it all with no risk whatsoever to themselves. Wther its "desirable" or not wont matter. If they can destroy it, they will, simply to stop you from being able to rebuild and come after them later on.

Thats the reason safezones are there for now, because there are no defenses in yet. Once we have our defenses, then the conquering will begin.
    That's the problem. When you have the freedom to destroy whatever you want in an MMO, you have the freedom to join a zerg tribe, or not play. If solo players and small tribes have no means to defend themselves, only mega tribes will continue to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorakin View Post
    Minutes? Siege should take hours at least. I guess with defenses it could go into the hours, but that goes back to the game not being ready yet :P
    Hours? Sieging?

Are you playing the same game as the rest of us? We're building tents and crap to start with. There not exactly any "sieging" to be done, just toss a piece of burning wood on it and **poof** end of siege.

We're not instantly placing grand building and castles and fortresses that can be defended.

You dont seem to really get exactly where we are and whats in the game right now. All the stuff youre saying is fine LATER, when things have advanced, we have more technology, bigger areas, etc, etc but it has absolutely no bearing on what is happening right now.