Great point made by river111 on page 5 of this thread:
http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...s-unbelievable
My own rant is on page 4...
Quote Originally Posted by river111 View Post
I was all for a fair start, but seems technical issue have taken that away. No I dont want another wipe, I lost both my spots and dont care either way. If you lost your spot I personally think its time to turn on the combat and lets get this war rolling. We tried the peaceful landgrab 2 times now (3 if you count the second start today) and its all jacked each time. So lets turn it all on, let the big tribes that lost out go nomad until they can grief the thieves off thier plot. If they had it at 9am PST but not at the second wipe then I feel they have every right to fight for thier land now. Let let the diplomats take the lead here, either work out peaceful deals for the land or fight for it. But please, do NOT wipe and do again.
I actually agree with this solution, and I would be happy with it,
but ideally, also give us a way to remove someone else's totem.
How exactly can we do that now without just being super annoying?

In reality someone could walk up, burn your house to the ground, chop your totem down, and walk off.
But also "in reality" there is a "fair balance" deterrent, because you could have sentry/alarms (dogs, watchtowers etc), and if you kill someone, or injure them, they are likely to be permanently removed as a threat.

This is a game, not reality- yes I know.
I'm not advocating a perfectly realistic system; this is a game and that is why games have systems for dealing with things like conquest and diplomacy which are balanced to the specifics of the game boundaries (Which are by nature, limited to less-than-real).
You have to admit though, that making a game with such strong focus on realistic features not having a system to balance basic property rights is kind of strange.