Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Xsyon Citizen
    Though more civil than most, your post is just another "STFU" comment that actually adds less to the discussion than criticism and suggestions.

I just signed up and there was no "FAQ explaining why pretty much everything the devs say turns out to be false". So the "you should have seen it coming" excuse doesn't really play for people like me. It's also a little odd to say "we've all known for some time now" that the game wouldn't be playable and have its features being "gradually turned on" in 2 weeks. The devs said it was going live this weekend, and we had little choice but to plan based on that.

Anyway, we didn't lose our land at any point, and generally speaking I think my tribe would just like a feature or two turned on for THIS weekend, hell or high water, because we've invested a lot of time and preparation for thursday/friday/this weekend upon the very specific prompting of the devs.

Let them get the lag issues figured out next week, while we're at work. For now give us something to do even if it produces lag.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    Though more civil than most, your post is just another "STFU" comment that actually adds less to the discussion than criticism and suggestions.

I just signed up and there was no "FAQ explaining why pretty much everything the devs say turns out to be false". So the "you should have seen it coming" excuse doesn't really play for people like me. It's also a little odd to say "we've all known for some time now" that the game wouldn't be playable and have its features being "gradually turned on" in 2 weeks. The devs said it was going live this weekend, and we had little choice but to plan based on that.

Anyway, we didn't lose our land at any point, and generally speaking I think my tribe would just like a feature or two turned on for THIS weekend, hell or high water, because we've invested a lot of time and preparation for thursday/friday/this weekend upon the very specific prompting of the devs.

Let them get the lag issues figured out next week, while we're at work. For now give us something to do even if it produces lag.
    I understand what you are saying, but when the lag goes up to 400-900ms, the game becomes basically unplayable. What are you going to do when your features have a 10-30 second delay and you are rubber banding all over the place? Let's not forget about small rollbacks making your effort futile.

Face it. We are screwed until they find and fix some lag bugs.

Xsyon Citizen
    Are you confident that the server would be lagging significantly more than it already is if they turned on, say, gathering, and nothing else?

Honest question. I would find it hard to believe.

Are you confident that the server would be lagging significantly more than it already is if they turned on, say, gathering, and nothing else?

Honest question. I would find it hard to believe.
    The devs seems confident in this since they turned those features off to help with lag. I will defer to their intimate knowledge of their own code.

People who don't deal with code/programming need to understand that to troubleshoot, it is common to turn off features. This helps them pinpoint problem areas in the code better because they are monitoring/debugging less code. This is true for small programs, or huge ones like a game.

It is exactly the same as when you are trying to find hardware problems in a computer. You methodically remove attached devices and internal hardware until you get a better sense of where it is coming from. This is basic troubleshooting.

Xsyon Citizen
    Oh, I know how to troubleshoot and I'm familiar with the concept of attempting to isolate root causes. All I'm saying is they can do these fixes later in the week when the whole playerbase isn't home from work and desperate to play

And while I'm sure you're right that the devs are calculating that turning on more features would increase the lag, I somewhat doubt the server would blow up, and I want to stress that there are important issues in maintaining a game and serving a playerbase besides turning the game off on launch weekend to address technical issues. It might not be so crazy to push this back a bit, accept that launch won't be March 15, and let us have a bit of fun!

Oh, I know how to troubleshoot and I'm familiar with the concept of attempting to isolate root causes. All I'm saying is they can do these fixes later in the week when the whole playerbase isn't home from work and desperate to play

And while I'm sure you're right that the devs are calculating that turning on more features would increase the lag, I somewhat doubt the server would blow up, and I want to stress that there are important issues in maintaining a game and serving a playerbase besides turning the game off on launch weekend to address technical issues. It might not be so crazy to push this back a bit, accept that launch won't be March 15, and let us have a bit of fun!
    You are ignoring the simple fact that the game is unplayable in the lag, and that the lag itself will probably cause more lost data and pissed off people. Delaying the repair of such a major problem is beyond ludicrous. On top of this, you have no clue how turning those features on may or may not make things worse. The intelligent course to take is the one they are on now, no matter how much it upsets the community.

Xsyon Citizen
    More lost data? Are you referring to the extremely minor rollbacks that occur along with the announced restarts? Or is there something much worse I haven't heard about?

And anyway, to clarify: I'm not saying turn things on even if the devs know that disaster will strike. I'm saying that they should turn something on unless they know disaster will strike. I don't know whether disaster would strike if they turned gathering on, and I don't think you do either. Hence the suggestion directed to the devs which only the devs can know the proper response to.

Just to point out the prelaunch was delayed past 3 weeks they should had all this sorted it feels too much like beta but hey what can we do right lol

Turning on features so we can all wallow in lag is not a very good suggestion, that would most certainly drive people away. If you want something to do, level up fishing and foraging, perhaps jumping and hiding too, they are all turned on, and should satisfy your A.D.D. for this weekend.

Otherwise, why not go and talk to your family or help your mum with the washing up

Also, remember launch isnt this weekend, its the 15th. I realise we were supposed to have early access that was playable, but shit happens. Its just a game ya know. If you want suggestions to be constructive instead of just adding to the negativity, heres one...
    Try practicing some patience and be happy that the devs are fixing these problems. Some support for the devs and appreciation for their effort over a sleepless week would be very helpful Im sure.

Xsyon Citizen
    {MOD EDIT}

I have plenty of patience and my gaming plans for this weekend were more than reasonable based on a timetable set by the devs which I had every reason to believe would be solid given the fact there was a 48 hour outage before the rollout went live.

Oh, and, this isn't my complaint thread. When I had a problem with totems at launch, I made a constructive post making a constructive suggestion. It's the fanboys who insist on making every such thread into a flame war. And when you do find a complaint thread, here's a tip: the complaints aren't directed at you, and your input is neither relevant, nor useful, nor welcome. If complaints bother you, ignore them instead of making your own posts complaining about the fact that people aren't satisfied with what's going on.

Don't presume to lecture people on how to run their lives just because you are serene with the situation.