Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Vamesis Tribe

Re:Vamesis Tribe

[b]reubenmunro wrote:[/b]
    [quote][b]sisler86 wrote:[/b]
    [quote]

On an unrelated note, I hate it when people use the term "touche" in that context. Touche literally translates to "to touch" and refers to when an opponent is touched in fencing, they announce "touche" as in "you touched me." .......Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

It's something dumb that is popular that linguistically ignorant people say and don't know the true meaning of. It's like calling somebody a douchebag.... [b]doesn't make a lick of sense[/b].[/quote]

Couldn't help myself... love it (notice the hypocritical suicide in bold).[/quote]

You probably should have educated yourself on the word lick before you made that comment.

The word "lick" is an English word with many meanings. In its noun form it means a small amount. It is a synonym to "bit." The word touche is French and only translates into English as "touch." Nothing more; nothing less. And yes, the meaning of words do change within their own language, but the translation of a word into another language will always stay the same.

Didn't mean to make something of this, it was more of a rant really.

Just found this thread.

x.x

Some really freaking skilled trolls here, the guy is actually discussing the meanings of the word "lick".

[b]sisler86 wrote:[/b]
    [quote][b]reubenmunro wrote:[/b]
    [quote][b]sisler86 wrote:[/b]
    [quote]

On an unrelated note, I hate it when people use the term "touche" in that context. Touche literally translates to "to touch" and refers to when an opponent is touched in fencing, they announce "touche" as in "you touched me." .......Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Just one of those things..... :P[/quote]

The word "touché" is also often used in popular culture and general conversation — for example, in an argument or debate — to congratulate someone on a clever response to an argument.[3]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch%C3%A9[/url][/quote]

You do know that you got that from Wikipedia right? Plus it says it's a popular "cultural" term. It's just saying the exact same thing I just said. It's something dumb that is popular that linguistically ignorant people say and don't know the true meaning of. It's like calling somebody a douchebag.... doesn't make a lick of sense.[/quote]

Touche, douchebag; glad someone makes a lick of sense.