Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is there an item that can allow you to carry more?

I find it annoying having to get 4 piece of metal/grass then having to run back to the homestead drop it off, run back to the grass/junk pile, harvest and do it all over.

Is there like a shopping cart or a wheel barrow or something you can build that will carry items in that way you can hold more stuff without having to make so many trips?

What happens when my junk pile is all gone? Then I have to potentially run 10 minutes round trip to the next junk pile for 4 piece of metal scrap?

Lockport, New York, USA --> Miami, FL, USA
    As far as I understand, there isn't anything like that right now, but that's actually a pretty good idea. I'd take that idea to the suggestions board and recommend it.

They said in the FAQ that they wanted you to be able to utilize tamed animals as sort of pack mules. That will probably be a while... and piles might be gone by then lol.

Also piles being gone and having to run minutes to the next should be part of the game in my opinion. Eventually you'll have guilds going out on daily excursions with protection to get enough mats...

Fix the lag first though.

well with metal/cloth/leather/plastic you can sort there and then and all the bits get put into your backpack so you can carry more doing that.

There isn't any item in game right now to help you to carry stuffs. If your junkpile runs out you will have to run 10 mins trip or you can choose to move closer to a new junkpile.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    They said in the FAQ that they wanted you to be able to utilize tamed animals as sort of pack mules. That will probably be a while... and piles might be gone by then lol.

Also piles being gone and having to run minutes to the next should be part of the game in my opinion. Eventually you'll have guilds going out on daily excursions with protection to get enough mats...

Fix the lag first though.
    Why should that be part of the game? What happens when the junk pile that is 10 mins round trip runs out? Then it turns to 20 minutes round trip?
    Keep in mind, it is 10 minutes round trip for 4 pieces of metal!

(And yes, you can sort those 4 piece of metal to gain room for 1-2 more pieces of metal but that also increases your travel time because you have to empty each piece of sorted metal into a bag 1 item at a time. Whereas before all I wanted to do was gather, not sort.)

Guilds going out on daily excursions to get say 20 pieces of grass if they have 5 people? You think 10-30 minutes for 20 pieces of grass is time well spent?
    Moving a tribe is also kind of unacceptable. We have already terraformed our area to the way that we like it and spent hours of time doing that. You want us to pick up and leave because a junk pile is now 30 mins away round trip?
    If we had some item/animal to use that could hold say 30 pieces of metal this would be much more acceptable.
    Also you would have the danger of someone finding you pushing that cart around and they could kill you and take it from you! Adrenaline rush

I'm playing a survival game why isn't everything instant. Why cant i teleport from the scrap heap to my totem.

Lockport, New York, USA --> Miami, FL, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Morketh View Post
    Why should that be part of the game? What happens when the junk pile that is 10 mins round trip runs out? Then it turns to 20 minutes round trip?
    Keep in mind, it is 10 minutes round trip for 4 pieces of metal!

(And yes, you can sort those 4 piece of metal to gain room for 1-2 more pieces of metal but that also increases your travel time because you have to empty each piece of sorted metal into a bag 1 item at a time. Whereas before all I wanted to do was gather, not sort.)

Guilds going out on daily excursions to get say 20 pieces of grass if they have 5 people? You think 10-30 minutes for 20 pieces of grass is time well spent?
    Moving a tribe is also kind of unacceptable. We have already terraformed our area to the way that we like it and spent hours of time doing that. You want us to pick up and leave because a junk pile is now 30 mins away round trip?
    If we had some item/animal to use that could hold say 30 pieces of metal this would be much more acceptable.
    Also you would have the danger of someone finding you pushing that cart around and they could kill you and take it from you! Adrenaline rush
    Agreed. There is a fine line between working for the stuff that you need and being way too much work to be fun. I agree that there should be a part of the game that you need to work for some of your materials, and I don't think that having a mule or something to do it is a bad idea either. It just increases your capacity for what you can carry, which is just the same as upgrading from your backpack to a basket as a backpack, in terms of items. On the other side of this coin, if you're spending hours a day to only collect a few materials, it takes the fun out of the game, and it's nearly pointless to play. I still support this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mworley01 View Post
    I'm playing a survival game why isn't everything instant. Why cant i teleport from the scrap heap to my totem.
    You're taking the post to a bit of an extreme. What he's saying is that it'd be nice to have a way to increase your capacity of what you're carrying, from four of an item to potentially more. He's not suggesting that he can carry everything he picks up, and he's not suggesting that he should have a junk pile at his beck and call at any point he desires. Be realistic. If this was an option, you'd use it, too.

9. 03-17-2011, 11:38 AM

IMO, If you didn't put your totem in a place to gather the resources you need efficiently, move your totem. Don't try to get the game changed to suit your decision.

As for OP, ya there'll be pack animals at somepoint. And sorting into your bag right where you're standing is a good option.

On a more serious note.

People like this game because of some semblance of realism to it. The need for trade exists or has the potential to exist because you are lacking a resource.

Sure, you like your area and don't want to move. Then don't. Expect to have to travel to get more junk when you've consumed all the local resources.

Carts/animals for hauling is a good idea, and as far as I know both are in consideration. Currently they don't exist so you have to do what you can with what you've got. Make sure you aren't wasting resources where necessary, and the junk piles will probably last longer than you think. If you are stripping them clean now, you're probably doing something wrong, IMO.