Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are caves worth using as a homestead?

Found a nice cave to call home. Problem is, it rains staight thru the roof. Tree branches penetrate the rock also. Will this domicile offer any protection from the elements and item decay until a solid structure can be built? Are there any advantages besides ambience. Thanks for any feedback.

I think the caves are just aesthetic at this point.

Maybe later they'll do something with them.

And if I'm wrong, then hopefully someone can point you to a thread that has the answer.

Bears live in caves. Good luck

Rarrrrr

no caves are not good homesteads

right now, both caves and buildings are for looks only. Might change when we get comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by StarvingSteve View Post
    right now, both caves and buildings are for looks only. Might change when we get comfort.
    This is what I was hoping for. Why is it there if it serves no purpose? Same as buildings atm. fingers crossed.

Xsyon Citizen
    hey tesla . did you get that name from a clive barker book or from the scientist?

Quote Originally Posted by Snickle1980 View Post
    hey tesla . did you get that name from a clive barker book or from the scientist?
    Scientist. Looking to bring dc power to Tahoe , then the death ray of course.

I have chosen a cave in hopes that when decay is implemented, it will provide protection from the elements. I can't build structures yet and really don't have much room other than said cave.

Also, does anyone know if will there be any way to utilize a gate or door at the cave's entrance? I have tried all the walls and barricades I know of and I always get, "There are objects in the way." But, I haved moved everything and there is nothing in the way, even moving further out from the entrance. Is the cave itself causing this error message?

If caves were not to be meant as dwelling places and there is no way to secure it, I need to move on before I accumulate too much stuff.

The con to making a home in a cave is that you give up precious building/terraforming area. The cave will swallow nearly 75% of your building space if you're only one person (depending upon where you place the totem). The larger your tribe is, the less of a factor this becomes. But then, if you have a large tribe you probably don't care about the cave anymore anyway.