Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

you caved to junk pile whiners...now

Now how about adding more trees, sand, tar, chalk, and obsidian where they're scarce....yeah...that's right...might as well give everyone everything. Wouldnt want some people to actually have to enteract with others. Make every tribe or homestead self sustaining.

No junk.. no crafting..

Quote Originally Posted by randomt View Post
    No junk.. no crafting..
    I don't think Deacon really understands that. I do, though. You know, I've never even seen tar, and haven't bothered to look for it? I assume I will be trading for it, plus most other things. But junk is necessary for crafting, and crafting is a pretty big deal, yknow, Deacon?

You seem to think that wanting something that makes the game possible to play without ten hours spent scavenging for every one hour spent crafting means players want everything else, too. And I never did, and I doubt anyone else who has a reasonable concept of a game that creates challenge and player interaction does, either!

It kinda sucks that so much stuff relies on "junk." One of the biggest problems I think with Darkfall was that there was only three main resource types and they were found EVERYWHERE.

Deacon, the economy and interactions with tribes isn't going to be dependent on junk piles (hence their name) - well at least wont be sold for a lot. The economy will be supported by the players and what they craft and trade to other tribes. There's no real economy if it's just struggling to get junk, getting your skills up, and a few basic items crafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarin View Post
    Deacon, the economy and interactions with tribes isn't going to be dependent on junk piles (hence their name) - well at least wont be sold for a lot. The economy will be supported by the players and what they craft and trade to other tribes. There's no real economy if it's just struggling to get junk, getting your skills up, and a few basic items crafted.
    If anything, more junk piles will reduce the value of resources obtained from them, which will increase the value of rare items such as tar, and to a lesser extent perhaps, sand, basalt (if that makes good bricks, not entirely sure), and obsidian.

I am looking forward to the day other mechanics replace junk piles, but until that happens, I see more junk as a good thing. Solo players and small tribes will now be able to move into the mountains and away from the large tribes. A huge amount of the tension, arguments, and outright hatred will be no longer have a focal point.

I am sitting on a nice pile with a nice view, and there's even water, sand, basalt, and limestone in the area (not in my homestead area, mind you, just in the area in general). But I'm eager to pick up stakes yet again and move into the mountains, far from flat land, for the sole reason that it will get my unloved, raggedy, mud hut dwelling homesteader totem off a spot that a larger group of players could utilize more efficiently.

I still don't know why this place was even available when I finally got in game and found it (after losing my first spot), but I'm glad it was. And I'm even gladder at the thought of moving on before my location causes any unpleasantness or causes anyone to feel that I'm being unfair and selfish to have taken the spot. I want to get along with my neighbors. Maybe that's not very pvp of me. Maybe it's even disgustingly carebear, but I find MMOs to be vastly more pleasant when I'm living next to people who are glad I'm there.

Plus, more widely spaced junk piles means my neighbors, however friendly they may be, will probably be a little further away from me, which I also prefer. I never did like the thought of rubbing elbows with everyone, all huddled up around corners of the same pile.

More resources means less conflict over resources and that means less incentive for PvP. I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't pay for the game with the intention of playing a shittier version of Minecraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kietharr View Post
    More resources means less conflict over resources and that means less incentive for PvP. I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't pay for the game with the intention of playing a shittier version of Minecraft.
    Are you sure about that? Won't more junk piles give more people a chance to craft whatever they think is essential for pvp (not to mention give them a chance to get bored of crafting sooner and go looking for pvp)? Plus, junk piles are finite. Plus, there are, as the OP pointed out, other resources worth fighting for. Plus, I'm a carebear, but if you stand outside my Homestead and flex and make faces at me (in imitation of your sig), I'll do my best to come kill you!

Item decay and destruction go a long ways toward stimulating the economy. Compare and contrast Eve with Darkfall.

Eve's economy works really good and the three things that support this are having many types of resources that cannot be found everywhere in the game universe, severe item destruction (which completely removes items from the game), and tons of crafting skills and useful items.

Darkfall's economy is pretty crappy because the main resources are found everywhere through the game map, items only switch hands with decay being rather limited (it takes a while for many types of equipment to decay in my experience), and the game has a severe lack of crafting skills and useful items.

Can you pretend for a moment that NG has access to information besides forum requests?

Hmmm, who do I think has more accurate player numbers, locations and resource ratio data, you or the devs?