Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    Could you please explain exactly what you mean by this? Speak into the microphone, please.
    In this context a prick is someone who basically has no social skills and relies on their online anonymity to act in a way that, in the real world simply gets them a fist in the face. For that reason people wish to have a mechanic in place to seperate themselves from this minoity as they spoil what is for most (except the few people lacking social skills, the capacity to understand the larger ramifications on their actions or simply the people that crave attention even if it is negative attention which I would call a 'prick') a universally accepted balance between enjoing a fun mechanic such as PvP and striving to 'win' said mechanic.

Clearer?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTaldren View Post
    You're forgetting that combat is turned off. Sure, under normal circumstances, gathering just outside of someone's area wouldn't be considered griefing. However, since combat is off and the owners of that land couldn't go out and stop you or fight for the territory, I'm inclined to think it is.
    That's right, all you homesteaders, make sure you stay on your 10 yards of land and don't harvest anything outside of it.

So, what you are saying is you should only be harvesting within your totem radius. Otherwise, it's grief...

OR since both sides are limited the same way, and no one OWNS that non claimed area, then it should be open game.

If someone goes outside of their tribal area, just past the line, and harvests a tree, who are they griefing?

How about 10 feet?
    20 feet?
    200 feet?
    2 miles?

"Just outside" of a tribal area is very subjective. What if I have a homestead next to your tribal area, we're both equally close to a resource, no one gets it? How are you going to enforce that? How will the game determine "who" is in the wrong?

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by maelwydd View Post
    In this context a prick is someone who basically has no social skills and relies on their online anonymity to act in a way that, in the real world simply gets them a fist in the face. For that reason people wish to have a mechanic in place to seperate themselves from this minoity as they spoil what is for most (except the few people lacking social skills, the capacity to understand the larger ramifications on their actions or simply the people that crave attention even if it is negative attention which I would call a 'prick') a universally accepted balance between enjoing a fun mechanic such as PvP and striving to 'win' said mechanic.

Clearer?
    Well, you certainly seem to have a firm opinion on the subject. Do you have any reason to believe anybody matching that description actually plays Xsyon? Because it really kind of sounds like some concocted, hyperbolic boogeyman to me.

Clearer?
    I argue that those unable to deal with forced social interactions are the ones who lack social skills as well as the ability to cope with life's little situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontaze_Mebro View Post
    I argue that those unable to deal with forced social interactions are the ones who lack social skills as well as the ability to cope with life's little situations.
    I agree. And those that are unable to deal with forced social interactions are the ones who act like pricks when confronted with such an envirnoment.

We are all taught it when we are small children, you know...how to play in the sandpit with other kids.

Problem is, in real life having poor social skills results in a punch in the face. In online games it results in changed game mechanics to lessen the disruption of these kids that think just because no one is around to slap them when they can act like pricks, they are above following normal social interaction.

Xsyon Citizen
    Maelwydd,

Do you see the irony of hiding behind internet anonymity while talking about how you'd love to facepunch people who hide behind anonymity and play in a way you don't like? I think you might find that in real life, other people punch back. You'll also get arrested for punching someone just for acting like a "prick", as you say.

No offense, but your postings give me the impression of a passive-aggressive sociopath who lets rage at the outside world build up inside him until it boils over in a completely inappropriate (and perhaps shocking) outburst of anger. I'd suggest killing people in a video game as a way of letting off some of that tension

Problem is, in real life having poor social skills results in a punch in the face. In online games it results in changed game mechanics to lessen the disruption of these kids that think just because no one is around to slap them when they can act like pricks, they are above following normal social interaction.
    People have the right to engage in PvP in whatever manner the game mechanics allow. If you're unable or unwilling to beat your enemy through combat, then try beating/hindering your enemy through the deprivation of resources - It's a perfectly legitimate tactic during war, but is sadly being misdiagnosed by those who are egregiously using the extremely arbitrary term "griefing", which can seemingly be applied to anything and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMorgan View Post
    What better way to simulate a postapocalyptic neoprimitivist society than to have an invisible nanny to make sure we all behave? Once you start restricting player freedom to control behavior, one of two things happens. You either blunt the societal interaction and make it a theme park, or those very restrictions are used to abuse people even further and without probable recourse. Leave the policing to the hands of the players. They're far more apt for it than rules born of whining that are enforced by part-time GMs.
    Red, I must admit, you sound quite libertarian there!

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by niccoli00 View Post
    That's right, all you homesteaders, make sure you stay on your 10 yards of land and don't harvest anything outside of it.

So, what you are saying is you should only be harvesting within your totem radius. Otherwise, it's grief...

OR since both sides are limited the same way, and no one OWNS that non claimed area, then it should be open game.

If someone goes outside of their tribal area, just past the line, and harvests a tree, who are they griefing?

How about 10 feet?
    20 feet?
    200 feet?
    2 miles?

"Just outside" of a tribal area is very subjective. What if I have a homestead next to your tribal area, we're both equally close to a resource, no one gets it? How are you going to enforce that? How will the game determine "who" is in the wrong?
    Reading comprehension... heard of it? What I was saying is that with combat turned off, it doesn't allow people to defend resources they want that are nearby. I wasn't saying people shouldn't gather resources outside their area. It's up to the developers what "griefing" is, and they have stated they will not allow it.

I changed a small part of what you wrote...

"players don't actually ahve to interact with 'pricks' on a persistent basis."
    So anyone that does not play the game exactly as you'd have them play it is now a 'prick'.

You're forgetting that combat is turned off. Sure, under normal circumstances, gathering just outside of someone's area wouldn't be considered griefing. However, since combat is off and the owners of that land couldn't go out and stop you or fight for the territory, I'm inclined to think it is.
    THis actually made me chuckle. I guarantee that, even with pvp active, if i show up and blockade an area outside your town, while i bring in my l337 harvesting team to chop down all the trees outside your area, you're going to scream griefer. Depriving you of the ability to enjjoy the game, etc.

Actually i'm not sure what kind of non-consensual hostile action would be tolerated, under any circumstances, by a fair portion of the playerbase. Their definition of griefing is:
    Griefing: any action or activity outside of my control, whether or not due to my action or inaction, where the result is anything other than that which is as was planned, anticipated, expected or otherwise desired. Any activity that does not provide direct benefit to me.

We, the 'anti social' pvp players, expect to win some, lose some, make allies, make enemies, sometimes the two may interchange. We fully expect to deal with jerks, but will also meet some good folk...whether they be enemy or ally. We view the game as a contact sport...where jsut because we are punching each other in the face today, doesnt mean we wont shake hands and grab a cerveza after the whistle blows....since in the end, we do recognize it's a game.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTaldren View Post
    It's up to the developers what "griefing" is, and they have stated they will not allow it.
    I don't think that they meant to encourage the playerbase to sit around thinking of new things to complain about and cry for people to get account banned. Just that they saw no need to attempt to tie themselves down to some kind of explicit definition.

Besides, did you notice that tribes also couldn't use force to defend the totem spots they wanted? Yeah.. I highly doubt the devs are going to be banning anyone for whatever the hell you're talking about.