Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zerging?

Why you even care what others think about you....in a game

I don't, it's just pretty hard to point new players in the right direction and recruit when you have this annoying pest constantly blurting out obscenities and hate speech.

Zerg? An insulting term? Nonsense! For the Swarm!

Thraz, don't sweat it. In all of the mmos I've played, I have only encountered perhaps 2 or 3 actual zerg guilds. The term itself has become sort of a meter to measure a players mental capacity. Whenever I hear or see it used to insult another group, I immediatley equate it to being no different than using words like noob. It has no real meaning anymore, and only serves to enlighten you to the users lack of originality and vocabulary.

safe zones are way too big for big tribes

reduce it

Zerging doesn't have anything to do with tribe size..(To a certain point)

What's a zerg and what's not a zerg.

A. If you 5 people raid your tribe area (after prelude) and you get attacked by 50.. That's not zerging, that's defending your holding. - Not zerging

B. Out in the wilderness and you get ambushed by 15 people, when you have 3 people, then after wards the members of the larger party spams several communication areas Forums,IRC,Twitter,In-game of how good they are, that still isn't considered a zerg though - If this keeps recurring then you might have a zerg on your hand..

Please go see a doctor k thx.

As for zerg recruiting, I choose to be in clans that don't openly recruit. While I am very tolerant and (I think) easy to get along with, I choose this playstyle because I don't like sharing a clan tag with people I don't like. If there's no filter on the people joining my clan, the chance that I don't like someone is increased. The chance someone will poorly represent the same thing that I strive to represent well is increased.

This is a personal decision, however I also feel like it's an intelligent one. Especially in games with friendly fire, where zerging as a combat tactic is just as likely to hurt you as to help you.

I think careful planning and strategy is a more challenging (and rewarding) way to succeed at crafting, trading, building, and PvP than "getting enough numbers till you get it right." If "more is better" is your plan to succeed in xsyon, I guess you should get used to being made fun of.

Thus, IMO, open recruitment is for turds. I guess someone has to do it for the sake of new players, though.

As for zerging as a combat strategy... if you happen to have more people than the enemy brings, that's the breaks. You can't tell some guys to stay back. "No they only brought 3, you five stay behind so we can keep it even." In other words, if I raid your city with 5 guys, and there's 15 dudes in your camp... well that's my fault for not bringing enough.

However, if you are knowingly bringing more than the enemy has, and refusing to engage without that cushion of numbers... you are a zerg. In the bad way. In other words, if I know your city has 5 dudes, and I refuse to get anywhere near it unless I have 15... I'm cheesy.

Maybe cheese is acceptable for winning RL wars- but this is a game, and in games sportsmanship means it's keeping it fun and challenging for everyone makes it last.

I guess I just believe more in sportsmanship than being "in it to win it." I don't consider being the last person or clan subscribed to a game "winning it."